qwe2
Accepted Solution

Toshiba L750-1N3 wifi speed problem

I bought a Toshiba Satellite L750 1N3 laptop 4 days ago. I installed the wifi driver properly and I connect to my Edimax BR-6547N via wireless connection. My problem is that even though I connect through 'n' connection when I check the speed at the status of the adapter it says that it's 65 Mbps. Could anyone please tell me what's wrong? Even my phone is connected to the router at 72 Mbps speed which is not much higher but still. I really hope it's not something with my new laptop.

Super Advisor
miker643

Re: Toshiba L750-1N3 wifi speed problem

[ Edited ]

SATELLITE L750-1N3 Specifications

SATELLITE L750-1N3 Downloads

I bought a Toshiba Satellite L750 1N3 laptop 4 days ago. I installed the wifi driver properly and I connect to my Edimax BR-6547N via wireless connection. My problem is that even though I connect through 'n' connection when I check the speed at the status of the adapter it says that it's 65 Mbps...

First, there shouldn't have been any need to install your WiFi driver. Toshiba notebooks come with all their drivers installed, it is part of the notebook's setup process. Next, where did you get the driver from? If it wasn't from Toshiba, you need to download and install the Toshiba version of your WiFi card's driver. Go to the site below, download and install the appropriate WiFi driver for your make of card. These are all zip files, so you'll have to extract the .exe file to install.

Toshiba Europe Wireless Connection Portal

Also, you should make sure you have the latest firmware version v.1.76 installed on your Edimax BR-6547N router.

Then see this article for some tips on how to maximize your N router WiFi connection speeds.

Please let us know how it turns out. Good luck.

Mike

qwe2

[ Edited ]

Thanks for your reply.

My laptop came absolutely clean, not even DOS was installed on it. I downloaded the atheros driver for W7 x64 from the address you linked so that has to be good. (I downloaded every driver from the official toshiba site)
I checked the firmware version and it's the latest (1.76).
I read the article and found that WMM was disabled in my router but after enabling nothing changed, it still shows 65mbps.

Edit: I changed channel bonding to 20/40 MHz on my router and now it says 150 mbps and goes on like 60 mbps. It's the best result I got so far. Do you think my router's being old causes the lack of performance or I could improve it even more somehow?
Anyway, under the best circumstances what's the max theoritical speed i could get on my laptop via wifi? 300 mbps?

Super Advisor
miker643

[ Edited ]

Sorry, my Serbian is not quite up to speed to have read that your system was sold without an OS. <smile>

One thing to keep in mind with the drivers, is that the order of loading 1st the hardware drivers and hardware utilities, and then 2nd the Toshiba utilities and Toshiba software is critical for success.

1st Hardware Drivers & Hardware Utilities

1) Chipset Utility/Driver

2) Display Drvier

3) Sound Driver

4) then all other hardware drivers and hardware utilities

2nd Toshiba Utilities & Toshiba Software

1) Toshiba Value Added Package (TVAP)

2) then all other Toshiba utilities & Toshiba software

Next, make sure you've followed the advice in Fix #3 of the article I gave you. Ideally, just entirely disable the b/g capability on your router.

Also, in Fix #4 "The bottom line is that you can only use WPA2/AES wireless security (or no security at all) if you don't want to throw away lots of speed." See page 'Set Security' section of your router's User's Guide, beginning on page 93, specifically  see page 95, and ensure your security is set to WPA2/AES, or no security at all.

But, of course, a newer router may give you much better performance. See this article. Specifically "First, you need to make sure that you’re using up-to-date 802.11n hardware. Older 802.11n equipment, built before the 802.11n standard was finalized in late 2009, may not work and play well with your newer devices." Not sure how old your router is, but it could be a factor.

But, even in the most ideal of circumstances, with the most up-to-date equipment, it's unlikely you'll approach the theoretical maximum of 300Mbps, actually 150 is probably pretty good.

Attached is your router's user's guide. Please let us know how things develop. Good luck.

Mike

qwe2

Thanks for your time. I don't think I can improve the speed further with this router since it's rather old in my view. I have read the articles and adjusted the settings as written but can't get more. I don't even have 5GHz band only 2.4. But having 150 mbps instead of 65 is pretty good.

Super Advisor
miker643

You're very welcome. Happy to help. Good luck with your Toshiba.

Mike