sharadunni
Accepted Solution

Toshiba E205 Problem with Intel Wireless Display Adapter

My Toshiba's wireless display adaper was working perfectly until for last few days when i launch the Intel Wireless Display using the shortcut key i get a message "Intel My Wifi Technology not enabled. Restart the computer and try again." i have restarted my laptop several times. Today i also downloaded "os2010110a_tc10061300a.exe" and executed it which uninstalled and installed the latest Intel display and wireless display drivers but i am still getting the same issue. Also in the icon tray when i keep the mouse pointer on top of Intel My Wifi Technology it gives a message "Adapter not found". Please help.

Occasional Contributor
jeromera

Re: Toshiba E205 Problem with Intel Wireless Display Adapter

Same here w/ our new E205 S1904 - just go to programs and click on Intel Wireless Display - does not work properly if utilizing shortcut on desktop - odd !

medic

i have the exact same problem and have done the same thing with downloading the new drivers.  Still saying the adapter is missing.  Im reading this form and starting to think they made this error happen on purpose because to many people are haveing this problem.

Occasional Contributor
jeromera

Horrible time w/ Intel Wireless Display in Toshiba  e205 s1904 - now indicating that it is " unable to load Intel My WiFi Technology DLL file" - suspect the WiDi is dead - Toshiba should provide a complete new download - bad showing by both companies

Administrator Administrator
Administrator
jim

Folks, please remember that Toshiba provides no official technical support in these forums.  If you're not getting the help that you need then call for tech support at 800-457-7777.  If you find a configuration or software solution to the problem, I'm sure other community members would appreciate you coming back here to share the knowledge.

Thanks,

Jim

absinthe

Same thing here.  Worked one day and not the next. After reinstalling everything, I went to the toolbar to show hidden icons...the intel wireless display said it was not enabled.  I just clicked on it and enabled it.  It works fine now.   No idea how it got disabled.

devil

Re: Toshiba E205 Problem with Intel Wireless Display Adapter - Restore FactorySettings

Dear Friends,

I was experiencing the same problem and the adapter went missing even from the device manager. After couple of calls to Toshiba Tech help center I was adviced to restore the hard drive to original (factory installed) settings. The tech walked me through the process on phone. My laptop was just 2 weeks old and I had very little data to back-up hence I was ok with that solution. (this restore clean installs windows and Toshiba applications, you loose all data and installed softwares).  

This solution worked and I have the Wireless display adapter back working. I have not installed the update available on Toshiba web site as I am afraid it might mess up the adapter again.

The only two software I had installed before the adapter went missing were Zone Alarm (free verion) and an antivirus by Trend Micro. I am inclined to think that either one of these two software was responsible for messing up the wireless adapter.

I will be installing the antivirus again tonight and will update a couple of days later if I experience any issues. I will then proceed with Zone Alarm ...

BadKarma135

Same problem here with not recognizing the Intel Wi-Fi hardware.  ( ... and therefore no Intel Wireless Display capability)

I would prefer not setting my computer to factory defaults. 

I absolutely hate it whenever tech support or others give that as the solution.

Other solutions or downloads I might have missed?

devil

The wireless display adapter went missing again. The thing worked fine for a week after restoring the laptop to factory settings. I have realized that this product works only for a week or two. I am thinking of giving a call to the tech support one last time and see if they have any alternative solution else i'll be returning the laptop this week.  

BadKarma135

[ Edited ]

Folks - here is the warning if you have not picked up on this yet.

There are MAJOR PROBLEMS with the Intel My WiFi Utility (push to display). 

Reference my previous post - I called Toshiba Tech Support - WORTHLESS - did not help and very little clue what the problem was.

Went to BEST BUY GEEK SQUAD - they had to RESTORE the computer to factory settings and wipe my computer.

Bottom line:  BACK UP YOUR COMPUTER - if something goes wrong, apparently, the only solution is square one again.

However, based on the previous post where someone said it failed again after a week is not an encouraging sign.

I had to take my computer back twice in less than three months for fixes and the most recent one required a complete wipe of my hard drive and we all know what a PAIN it is to reinstall EVERYTHING again!

To Toshiba and Best Buy - GET THIS FIXED ASAFP!!!

Occasional Advisor
moroji

Has anyone tried setting a Restore Point after running the full recovery?  That way if the problem happens again you could go back to that restore point instead of having to start over from scratch.  Don't know if that would work but it's worth a shot.

-=: moroji :=-
devil

a deliberate restore point was not set-up but i tried restoring to a prior date when the adapter used to work properly.

For some reason the computer never let me restore to previuos and used to come up with 'error restoring....'. It was then I decided to accept the tech support advise and restored to system to factory. 

The tech support have no clue what is going wrong. I believe Toshiba too is clueless. I just hope someone at Toshiba engineering is aware of this problem and working on a solution.

BadKarma135

"devil,"

I wish you were wrong about the WiDi failing AGAIN, but you were right.

Within 12 hours of getting my computer back from the Best Buy Geek Squad and having it wiped and reset, my WiDi failed AGAIN.

As mentioned on another post to someone else's query, I heavily suspect that this problem is associated with a recent Windows Update package. 

Twice, my WiDi failed after trying to load a package of 18 Windows Updates.  The error code is 646 and it does not appear to translate anything I can find on the help pages.

That could provide a plausible explanation why the Geek Squad was not able to fix it, why reinstalling the drivers does not work, and why Toshiba tech support appears to be absolutely clueless on this.

Toshiba and Best Buy - provide a fix NOW or the BAD MOUTHING of this product will continue and I WILL TELL EVERYONE NOT to buy this WORTHLESS product.  DO NOT tell us to just reset our computer to a factory restore point and stop Windows Updates - they are NOT valid solutions at this point.

devil

BadKarma, I think you are precise about the windows update...there is another discussion board on intel...no solution though still.

http://communities.intel.com/thread/11787?start=0&tstart=0

Bad showing on part of BestBuy, the geeks at the squad think we r dumb. Customers diagnosing the issue for these geeks and then pay them if we want to return the product faulty product.

Administrator
jim

FYI, I've started monitoring this thread and have passed some of the info over to a technical team for their consideration.  

The discussion in the Intel community (linked in devil's post) seems to point to the problem being introduced by a Windows Update.  Specifically, to critical updates from 4/13/2010, when there was a group of 6 updates: KB979683, KB980232, KB980830, KB981332, KB979309 and KB978601.  There's no confirmation from Intel within those boards of any of those updates causing an issue so it's not a sure thing, but the discussion within that community seems to have zeroed in on those releases, for what it's worth.

I'll forward this info to technical groups within Toshiba for further consideration.  Meanwhile, I recommend setting restore points before running any Windows Update, and being very selective about what is updated until this gets figured out.  If you networking and Wi-Di is working fine now, I would avoid updating any related software for the time being.

Jim

devil

Jim is it possible for you to nail down which update out of the six mentioned by you might be responsible for this. Has anyone tried installing the wireless driver version 13.1.1.1 before installing the windows update.

The discussion board at the intel seems to be at a standstill, not sure if someone have found a solution or people have just given up :smileysad:

Administrator
jim

If technical staff can reproduce the problem and then nail it down to being caused by a Windows Update then they'll also work to figure out which update is causing the problem.  I'll be sure to post any updates it get to this thread.

Jim

Adeana

I've been monitoring this issue for the last month and a half - praying for some form of resolution to this issue.  The wireless display feature was the only reason i bought this thing and it has not worked since that windows update.  I can't go back to factory defaults and lose everything i've installed and saved on this.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE - Is there any status from tech support on this?  Is it being looked at?  Is it a priority at all?

Everytime i see a comercial on TV where they are showing this feature, i want to screem at the TV "it doesn't work!!

I've called support 5 times on this and it has provided no help.  Can someone at Toshiba give people some form of update on this.  PLEASE!!

Administrator
jim

Yes, I can say that it is being looked into and it is a priority.

Also, a new Intel Wireless Display driver was released yesterday on our website and via the Toshiba Service Station utility.  It's available for download at http://df.toshiba.com/TC00249500G.exe and I'm investigating whether or not it is known or expected to be a solution to this problem.  Meanwhile, it can't hurt to give it a shot...

Jim

sharadunni

The update for Intel Wireless display doesn't work. What hurts me is when i see ads (Zombie ad) shown in TV by BestBuy showing this freaking technology which actually doesn't work. BestBuy is not doing enough to resolve this issue and they are just putting blame on Intel, i think they are one who are supposed to pressurize Intel, Toshiba and others in order to resolve this issue and not Backoff and keep on showing ads on TV. I am very dissapppointed.