the_hammer_is

Slow Download Speed

I recently bought a Satellite L750 and the download speed I have been getting is terrible. Every other computer in the house (they are all connected wirelessly) gets downloads speeds of at least 10 mbps, but my speed is consistently below 1 mbps. I downloaded a program to optimize the settings on my computer which initially gave me speeds of above 15 mbps, but one day later I am back in the .5 mbps area. I feel as though a new computer shouldn't have this problem and something is wrong. Any thoughts would help.    

Super Advisor
miker643

Re: Slow Download Speed

Whenever you post a problem here we need your full model name/number, there's a Toshiba label on the bottom of your computer.

Also, click on 'Start', type in   dev  , click on 'Device Manager', click on the arrow beside 'Network adapters', and give us the exact name of your Wireless/WiFi adapter/device.

Mike

mochalatte

I have the same problem right out of the box, PC just arrived yesterday and running too slow to use. My system is 

Satellite P750-BT4G22 Laptop

Intel® Core™ i7-2670QM processor 2.2 GHz (3.1 GHz with Turbo Boost Technology), 6MB L3 Cache, Genuine Windows® 7 Professional 64-bit, SP1, 8GB DDR3 1333MHz SDRAM (4096MBx2), 500GB HDD (7200rpm, Serial-ATA), 1GB GDDR3 NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 540M with NVIDIA® Optimus™ Technology, DVD SuperMulti (+/-R double layer) with Labelflash™ driveGlossy Black LED Backlit Tile keyboard, Lithium Ion Battery (12-cell), Intel® Wireless LAN (802.11b/g/n) + Intel® Wireless Display Ready*, 

My download speed is under 50kp with a 150mbps connection. Appreciate help with this. 

Super Advisor
miker643

[ Edited ]

Satellite P750-BT4G22 Specifications

Satellite P750-BT4G22 Downloads

Let's try to load your latest Toshiba supplied WiFi driver and see if that helps at all. Download this file to your desktop and double click to install it.

Intel Wireless LAN Driver(v14.1.1.3.1.s64_wCAT)

As well, follow these tips on how to maximize your 'N' band speed:

5 Ways To Fix Slow 802.11n Speed

Please let us know if this helps. Good luck.

Mike

mochalatte

Thanks for the download links. I found an updated network adapter driver also. After installing updates and no significant change, I think the problem occurred due to the router settings. The router was set for b/g, when I switched to b/g/n the speed dramatically increased. Appreciate the quick response. 

Super Advisor
miker643

[ Edited ]

...Thanks for the download links. I found an updated network adapter driver also...The router was set for b/g, when I switched to b/g/n the speed dramatically increased...

You're very welcome, glad to hear you tracked down the problem with the article link.

But, the network adapter link I provided you with is the most up-to-date Toshiba supplied driver. Toshiba notebooks are very finicky about only working properly with Toshiba supplied drivers, not those from Windows Update or the chipmakers. If you want to avoid future problems, you should only use hardware drivers and hardware utilities from Toshiba.

You would probably be better off setting the router to only 'n' mode. If another client connects to the router using b or g, you'll experience speed problems again. See Fix #3 in the article link I posted to before.

Good luck.

Mike