Yesar

Satellite P745: Wireless Communication Switch OFF!

Hello,

I have recently purchased a Satellite P745, it has been working fine for a while. I installed earlier today a copy of Ubuntu linux on it. Later, I found out that my wi-fi is not responding on both windows 7 and Ubuntu 10.11.

I used the ConfigFREE diagnostic utitity (Connectivity Doctor) to see what the problem is.

It adviced me to switch the wirless communication switch on. My wireless communication switch is (FN + F8). Which seems to malfunction. Everytime I press on both keys I see a message saying:

"Wireless Communication is disabled. Please turn wireless communication switch on" But the problem is that this message appears while pressing the switch (Which is FN+F8)!!!!

As far as I can see Satellite P745 has no wireless switch and the only switch is has is FN+F8. I also tried the following:

1- Diable the device from control panel > Device Manager then Enable it again. But same problem still prevails.

2- I wanted to uninstall the driver then re-download it from the internet but I couldn't figure out what model I have as it is only written Satellite P745 while on the downloads page there are many other models starting with P745!

3- I restored the system.

4- I uninstalled ubuntu.

My main concern here is that installing ubuntu has done something bad to my BIOS, as I installed it using WUBI which makes it wasier to launch both systems (Windows and Ubuntu Linux) at the start of the computer. So I used the archives of this forum. And I used a method submitted. Which included doing the following:

1- Turn off computer

2- Take off the battery cell and unplug AC power.

3- Wait for one to two minutes.

4- Power computer.

5- Log into BIOS by pressing F2 in the Toshiba screen.

6- Pressing F9 to bring BIOS back to default.

7- Press F10 to save and exit.

Using the upper method I coould see the wireless light on the right panel of lights ignite at the begging of starting the system but then fades away and the problem presists. I still cannot turn the switch on to enable wifi access.

I hope you guys can read this. Although, I know it is too much already.

But all the help you provide is appreciated!

Thanks!

Please see the following screenshot:

heb1048

Re: Satellite P745: Wireless Communication Switch OFF!

Did you get an answer to your question?  My P745 began displaying exactly the same symptoms about 2 hours ago.  As is the case for your machine, when powering the system up, the orange wireless light comes on for a short time but then goes out and I get the same message that you get when trying to turnon the wireless via F8.

I would certainly like to know if there is a simple solution.

Until this happened I was very happy with this machine.

Carl

mshalter

I know this is probably a dumb question, but did you try the touch buttons above the keyboard?  I often accidentally brush my hand against the wireless icon and inevitably accidentally turn off my wireless.  Of course that wouldn't explain why you aren't able to turn in on us Fn + F8, but I just thought it was worth checking. :smileyhappy:

Epic52

I have had a similar issue with the WiFi not working on a Toshiba P755-S5265. What I have found is it seems to be a problem with laptops that have WiMAX Capability. I lost the ability to turn on WiFi when I turned off Wifi using Intel My WiFi Technology in the system tray and then I couldnt turn it back on. Using Windows Mobility Center the Turn Wireless On would be Grayed Out.

To FIX the issue I was having described above I had to open device manager and uninstall the Intel WiFi Link 1000 BGN under network adapters and then restart windows. On restart Windows reinstalled the drivers for the Intel WiFi Link 1000 BGN and it now is working like it should again.

Found that right clicking on the Intel My WiFi Technology icon in the system tray and selecting WiFi off creates the same issue but the fix described above fixes the WiFi.

Hopefully this post is useful for other people having similar issues with their WiMax and WiFi.

tigerr22

I am having the same problem but none of the fixes are working for me. Did anyone else find another fix? I do have the Wimax. I wouldn't be surprised if that is the problem. Unfortunately uninstalling it didn't work...

cboivin

I do not know which thread I got this from because I read them all , powered down, restored, updated drivers, changed power settings, refreshed the flash cards, installed Toshiba value package, etc...and nothing worked until I think it was Jerry Lippy that mentioned the trick about going into SAFE mode and then touching the wireless control button. after that the orange indicator light came on. Oddly enough when I was having the problem, all of the quickstart buttons were illuminated and the wireless switch would go off briefly when pressed and would then go on again. Anyway, go to safe mode by pressing F9 when booting up then F8. Press your wireless connection button and verify your connection.  then restart Interesting fix. Thanks Jerry Lippy

steelfish

same laptop, same problem.. none of this fixes on this thread have worked for me.

any other suggestion? 

like someone said, I was pretty happy with my laptop until now 

heeeeelppppp!!!

titan

First, I know this sounds like it shouldn't do anything, but it fixed the problem I was having on my P755. 

Connect laptop to wired connection.  Try toggling the wireless on and off (F8 on P755).  If laptop has the touch panel, do the same thing with it. While toggling the wireless on and off while the laptop was connected to the wired connection it started working again - go figure.

Oldace

I had the same problem.

Simple Fix.

Press FN & F8, Then Repeat pressing F8 to toggle through the On/Off Options.

Turn ON ALL starts them all.

Easy...:smileyhappy:

granyatee

I Had this problem with my satellite P755.

My laptop has this media buttons, so i turned on wireless capability with those, then i switched on the wireless with Fn + F8.

lean58

After waiting for tech support for 30 minutes, I browsed this forum and toggling worked in seconds.  Thank you!