NatalieW

Satellite L630 Not Connecting to WiFi Network

I am having trouble connecting my Satellite L630 series laptop to my home wireless network.  I have a Billion wireless router at home that is 3 1/2 years old, so I'm wondering if it's compatibility/security issues?  The laptop can see the network, but when I enter my password, I get a dialog box telling me it cannot connect to the network (I have checked numerous times that my password has been entered correctly).  I tried "Troubleshoot", but the only option was turning the router off and then on again (which I tried, to no avail!).  My desktop computer at home connects to the wireless network there and the laptop connects without a problem to the wireless network at work.  Any advice would be much appreciated!

Occasional Advisor
pacman

Re: Satellite L630 Not Connecting to WiFi Network

please check this website

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/Windows-7/en-us/Browse.aspx?type=Hardware&category=Ne...

it will show compatible wireless router for windows 7.  Maybe its compatibility issue - i assume you are the one who setup your wireless. If it does maybe you can try to disable MAC filtering on your wireless router. You might try disabling the security for the meantime and try connectiing and see if that works.

=========================================================
the only easy day was yesterday.....
=========================================================

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Does it connect with the Ethernet cable?

You can check out the router this way.

Internet Connectivity Evaluation Tool

Which Satellite L630? What's the part number?

-Jerry
NatalieW

Thanks for the replies, pacman and Jerry.  I tried connecting with a cable, but that didn't work either.  It's a Satellite L630/037 running 64-bit Windows 7.

I went to the compatibility website, and Billion-brand routers don't even appear as an option there, so that's not looking good!  I'm at work right now, but will try the connectivity evaluation tool when I get home.  I spent two hours a few nights ago just changing security settings and trying everything I could think of, but nothing worked.  I'm thinking I may have to get myself a new router.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Satellite L630/037 (PSK04A-037001)

I tried connecting with a cable, but that didn't work either.

Good news, Natalie. We've eliminated the wireless as the problem.

Do all your troubleshooting now with the cable connection and plug directly into the modem if possible.

Start with the built-in troubleshooter.

Using the Network troubleshooter in Windows 7

If that doesn't fix things, let us know what you learned. BTW, error messages are useless if paraphrased. Quote them exactly.

-Jerry
NatalieW

Thanks again, Jerry; I'll look into this tonight when I get home and let you know how it went.

NatalieW

Well, it's still no go as far as connecting in any way to my home internet goes - I used the ethernet cable and the direct connection to the modem wasn't even registered by the laptop.  I right-clicked on the "LAN connection" icon in Network Connections and selected "Diagnose", but it didn't help; it recognised the problem as the ethernet cable being either "disconnected or broken".  I tried unplugging the ethernet cable and plugging it in again, but at that point, it wouldn't even go back in the socket, and I didn't want to force it.  It's basically a brand-new cable that came with the modem router when I bought it, but haven't needed to use until now.  I'm in need of some more advice!

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

it recognised the problem as the ethernet cable being either "disconnected or broken". 

I tried unplugging the ethernet cable and plugging it in again, but at that point, it wouldn't even go back in the socket, and I didn't want to force it.

That's one you need to solve. Is there some tech around there that can help? Maybe call the ISP that supplied the modem? Doesn't the router plug into the modem with the same network plug?

There's not much we can do about it from way over here.

-Jerry
NatalieW

Yes, I figured I was pretty much on my own with the cable thing!  It's just weird because I was able to plug it in before, but now it just won't go.  I'll see if anyone I know has a spare one I could use.  However, I ran Diagnose while the cable was plugged in that first time, and that was when it told me that it was either disconnected or broken (when it wasn't either as far as I could tell), so it didn't seem to recognise it even when it was plugged in.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

it didn't seem to recognise it even when it was plugged in.

Strange.

-Jerry
NatalieW

Well, the saga continues!  I have updated my modem/router's firmware to the latest version, and I still cannot connect my laptop to my home wireless network.  I was hoping the firmware update would fix the issue, but have had no luck so far. 

I have tried connecting via ethernet cable (which I got to plug in again after some difficulties), but diagnosing the problem with the connection once again told me that the network cable was either unplugged or broken.  I called Toshiba tech support and they suggested there might be a problem with the modem/router, but I contacted the manufacturer of the latter and now they're suggesting it's a problem with the laptop!  They also said that the modem/router I am using at home is compatible with Windows 7.  I tried changing the security settings for the network, but that didn't make any difference.

The laptop still connects fine with the wifi network at work, so this is all very frustrating!

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I'm afraid you need some hands-on help there, Natalie.

It would be useful to know what another Windows 7 computer sees when connecting to that modem/router (I'm assuming a single box). I'd be especially interested in the cable connection, but the wireless would be interesting too.

-Jerry
NatalieW

>> I'm afraid you need some hands-on help there, Natalie.

Yes, I'm thinking the same thing!  The most frustrating thing is that the laptop sees that the network is there, but it just will not connect.  Thanks for your help, Jerry.

Natalie

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Too bad we couldn't make more progress. Good luck!

-Jerry