bbuiwe
Accepted Solution

Satellite L505D-S5965 Wireless

Hi guys, long time Toshiba lover. Solid products.

[I would like to begin by stating that yes, I've read the manual, and yes, I've spent hours, days, weeks scouring the database in the clouds for an answer with still no luck. So I'm turning to the boards. Hopefully you mates can help?]

I purchased the aforementioned laptop almost a year ago with Vista as the original operating system. Everything worked fine! Along trotts Windows 7. I, the loon I am, ran the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor prior to making any decisions, and everything checked out, save for maybe a sound card as I remember.

I'd like to make a note here that I did a clean install. Wiped everything. Completely. (Well, to the best of formatting a drive twice, completely.)

Enter Windows 7: a glossy, vibrant shade of blue begging to be enjoyed. Sure! Let me just connect to the internet and do some upda-... ah... Excuse me?

My wireless utility informs me that there are no connections available. (Which I know to be false, and can prove since both the laptop I'm typing on at this instant and my cell phone connect to the wireless access point.)

Okay, no biggie. Right? Throw in an ethernet cable and away we go. I run Windows Updates quite a few times, and I believe that I recall a wireless driver being included in one of the updates. Awesome. Download, install, reboot, no joy. Still no wireless.

So away I go to determine the exact wireless card we're dealing with. Realtek 8187se, it claims. Away we go to Realtek's site, where I locate and download the driver. I'm a stickler, so I open my computer management console, uninstall the existing wireless driver, and continue with the installation of the driver direct from Realtek. I reboot, and still no joy.

Next up, the troubleshoot link, (beauty of a thing...) and it proceeds to inform me that the switch for the wireless may be turned off. Ah! Knew it had to be something simple. Alas. The Satellite L505D-S5965 does not come with a physical WLAN management switch... (it leaves on/off management to using FN+F8, which I proceeded to try, checking for the LED indication, as well as checking the wireless utility itself, with no joy.) Fine, there's more than one way. So I reboot and light into my BIOS setup, where I determine that I do, in fact, have a setting for the built-in wireless card. I move the setting to "On", and proceed with the boot. Glossy 7 appears, and still no joy.

I've come to my rope's end. I leave myself at your mercy, and am more than willing to try anything you like to resolve the issue.

For technical specifications, please refer to Toshiba's Model Content Page. (My computer is, save for Windows 7, stock.

Thanks, (sincerely)

-Brian

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Satellite L505D-S5965 Wireless

Satellite L505D-S5965 

Have you run the Software Installer, Brian?

Toshiba Software Installer for Windows 7

-Jerry
bbuiwe

Dear Jerry,

If I find you in the street, I may well hug you. :smileyvery-happy:

Thank you, so very much.

-Brian

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Happy to learn of your success, Brian. Thanks for reporting back.

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
bxpeters

So, even though my laptop is a different model, I still have the same problem; Device Manager cannot see my Realtek RTL8191SE Wireless LAN adapter; switch is set to on in the HW setup utility, however,F8 doesn't show up at all when pressing FN. I noticed several "solutions" to similar problems on the Forum, but none of them work for mine. This occured right after the update that installed on 7/16 @ 8 pm.

None of "the usual" solutions had any effect; I've tried everyone's suggestion. I have a similar post on Microsoft answerers. I'm getting nowhere!

Toshiba level-2 support suggested reimaging the drive. However, can I hold then accountable if that doesn't work and I need to reinstall all my software for naught?

Does anyone have any "NEW" solutions for this issue?

bbuiwe

Was it working previously? If so, what changed?

What have you tried?

-Brian

frtwome

Hi Brian,

Maybe you can help me out with this problem that I am having?

08-20-2010 03:01 PM

I just bought a new Toshiba Satellite L455D-S5976 windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit laptop on 8/10/2010

I have been on the same linksys wi-fi connection since Jan. 2010. I am located in a campground. I am in the same spot, using my new computer in the exact same spot as I was using with my Gateway. When I had my Gateway, my connection was always fast. Since I have been using this new computer, I'm lucky if I can stay connected 30 minutes in 24 hours.

What Did I Do Wrong???

It says that I am connected, with four green bars out of five. signal strength is 48

but, it will not go anywhere, just sits here telling me it's connecting.

How can I tell if something is interfering with my wi-fi signal, what could be blocking it. It shows in my radar on my desktop.

Realtek RTL8187SE wirrless LAN PCIE network adapter

IPv4 connectivity....internet

IPv6 connectivity....no internet access

Linksys

Radio Type 802.11n

media state...enabled

DHCP ....enabled

Netbios over Tcpip....enabled....yes

IPv6 default.....Gateway

Network type....Access Point

Network Availability...all users

connect automatically when this network is in range....checked

I have it set on public, not home or work

PS Why does it say default Gateway?

Maybe I have configured this all wrong, PLEASE HELP

Judy

Stubamboo

Re: Satellite L505D-S5965 and S5996 Wireless

Hi Anybody--

I have a similar problem on my L505D-S5996 (running Windows 7) with the same Realtek wireless device.  The wireless signal drops about every 30 minutes.  Has anyone figured out how to fix this permanently?

Thanks

Stu

bbuiwe

Hey Judy,

Sorry I haven't replied as quickly as I'm sure you would've preferred. It's been quite a busy little year for me. Have you been able to get your situation resolved?

You can't really tell what's interfering with your signal but there are known devices that can cause problems. Radios, for example, and walls and power cabling, etc... can all lead to interference.

Your other computer has connected, though, so I doubt that's an issue.

I ran into an issue not so long ago where I was using my father's Wireless Access Point. My computer was the only Windows 7 machine to connect to it since it had been set up. When my Windows 7 machine connected, I was prompted to set up the Access Point prior to using it. Are there any windows that pop up when you try to connect to your Access Point?

"Default Gateway" is the computer's way of knowing where to go first. The default gateway is often the address of the first router (from your side) in the network. In this case, it's most likely the Wireless Access Point.

bbuiwe

Stu,

When you say your signal drops, what do you mean?

Does the wireless on your laptop shut off?

Do you simply lose connection? (Your wireless is on and the signal is there, but you disconnect.)

Skid

Hello,

First time on this site, hope it helps me. I have the same problem with my Satellite L505D-S5965. My system shows that my wireless driver is ok, the signal is there, but it doesn't connect at all. I get the big red X over my wireless icon in the lower right corner. I know it's not the router, or the line, because the computer I'm on is obviously working, as well as the other wireless devices I have. My knowledge of computers (hardwear and softwear) is limited, so I hope you can help me.

Skid

Super Advisor
miker643

Satellite L505D-S5965

Skid

Are you still running Vista 32bit, and if so do you have Vista SP2 installed? If you're not sure click on 'Start', type in   sys   and click on 'System Information', in the 'System Summary', look at the 1st & 2nd lines on the right hand side for 'OS Name' and 'Version'.

Also, click on 'Start', type in   dev   , click on 'Device Manager', click on the arrow beside 'Network adapters', double click on your WiFi adapter, tell us what specific WiFi adapter you have, and what it says under 'Device status' on the 'General' tab.

BTW, you're not from Banff AB by any chance are you Skid?

Mike

hcallis

Mike, I have the Satellite L505D-LS5007. My parents bought it for me for my college graduation last May. Windows 7 version 6.1.7600 Build 7600 was on the computer when I received it. My computer was working great and my wireless was working fine until about 3 months after I got it. At first I thought it was the wireless router, but after using it with other computers I realized it was fine. I'm able to hook up my computer to my modem using an ethernet cord and my internet works great. But I just moved and it would be more convenient for me to have wireless. Plus I have not hooked up my internet yet so I cannot get online yet. I have a wireless light that tells me if my wireless is on but it doesn't light up anymore. I called a Toshiba and they told me I had to wipe my computer. I didn't want to lose everything so I took it to someone else. Those people told me I would have to get a new wireless chip. I would like to download that Toshiba Windows 7 update that someone gave you in the first post, but since my computer cannot go on the internet, I can't get to it. Any ideas? Oh, and I checked my Realtek device status and it says it is working properly. But when I push FN + F8 it says the wireless is off. Thank you for any help anyone can give me!! Heather
hcallis

Mike, I have the Satellite L505D-LS5007. My parents bought it for me for my college graduation last May. Windows 7 version 6.1.7600 Build 7600 was on the computer when I received it. My computer was working great and my wireless was working fine until about 3 months after I got it. At first I thought it was the wireless router, but after using it with other computers I realized it was fine. I'm able to hook up my computer to my modem using an ethernet cord and my internet works great. But I just moved and it would be more convenient for me to have wireless. Plus I have not hooked up my internet yet so I cannot get online yet. I have a wireless light that tells me if my wireless is on but it doesn't light up anymore. I called a Toshiba and they told me I had to wipe my computer. I didn't want to lose everything so I took it to someone else. Those people told me I would have to get a new wireless chip. I would like to download that Toshiba Windows 7 update that someone gave you in the first post, but since my computer cannot go on the internet, I can't get to it. Any ideas? Oh, and I checked my Realtek device status and it says it is working properly. But when I push FN + F8 it says the wireless is off. Thank you for any help anyone can give me!! Heather

Abbeywasc

My toshiba Sattelite L505D-S5965 keyboard stopped working except for the F2 and F12 keys. I took it to a workshop where i was told the keyboard is faulty and i have to change it. I wasnt satisfied with the diagnosis so i got a sattelite L500 keyboard and it didnt work on it either except for those two keys. I inserted the L505D keyboard into the L500 and it worked fine. I dont know what else to do having proved that the keyboard isnt faulty. Thanks in anticipation of a prompt solution.
bbuiwe

Hey Abbeywasc!

This sounds like an issue with the motherboard or at least the keyboard connector on the motherboard. :smileysad: If you're still under warranty you may be fine. If not then I would go back to the place that told you to replace the keyboard, explain what you've tried, and see where they go from there.

eweigel

Hi All - unfortunately I am having the same wireless issue where the signal just drops on my L775D-S7305 laptop.  I know the router and modem are fine as all other devices in the house are working fine.  The problem is with the network adapter (realtek).  I wish toshiba could get this figured out as it is annoying.

bbuiwe

Hey eweigel!

I think you may be better off in a new thread. The original topic concerned being able to turn the wireless adapter on. Your adapter appears on but won't stay connected.

I wish I could help with what you're experiencing but I'm not that familiar with the issue.

Misn6

Why is my network connection on my Toshiba Satellite L505D-S5965 saying, "limited access"? My Realtek RTL8187se has always worked before I wiped oh my computer to clean it up! Does this have to do with the windows 7 program?