TSee

Satellite C655-S5128 Atheros AR9285 Card Won't Connect To Netgear WGT624v3

I bought a nice Satellite C655-S5128 yesterday (my first Toshiba) and I have not been able to proceed with any Windows 7 updates nor install my Norton 360, Office 2010, etc. since I cannot connect to my wireless network.  I don't want to proceed if I can't (I will return the laptop and buy something else).

The Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adaptor is unable to connect to my Netgear WGT624v3 Wireless Router.  I downloaded and installed the current driver for the Atheros AR9285 from Toshiba's Model Content Page although the driver date was still 11/6/2009 with version 8.0.0.258 after the install took place.  The device is working properly according to Windows 7.  I have seen newer drivers available on other sites, but I'm reluctant to install a driver that isn't supported by laptop's manufacturer.

C655-S5128 Model Content Page Link

My wireless router is using the most current firmware available (v2.0.26_1.01NA).  I have another laptop I just bought last October from another manufacturer using the same OS (Windows 7 64bit Home Premium) that can consistently connect to my wireless router.  I also have an old Thinkpad laptop running Windows XP that connects to it without any problems.  My video game systems can connect to my wireless router as well.  Enable SSID Broadcast is checked (it is not a hidden network) with the Preamble mode set to Automatic.

I can see from the Windows 7 Troubleshooting Report that the network adapter detects the signal on g (both g and b are enabled) using channel 1 with WEP security.  I have the C655-S5128 sitting right next my wireless router to rule-out interference from any other devices or a low signal (all bars are lit-up).

I would like to try installing a newer driver for the Atheros AR9285 Network Adapter to see if that will resolve my connectivity problem.  However, I would feel more comfortable if the more current driver came from the laptop's manufacturer.

Any advice or help is greatly appreciated!  Otherwise, I will be returning the laptop (which would be a shame!).

Here are some of the details from the troubleshooting report:

Issues found

Problem with wireless adapter or access point.....................................Detected

Investigate router or access point issues..........................................Failed

Reset the wireless adapter.........................................................Completed

Refer to Windows Help and Support for more information a....................Completed

Connection status summary

Connection started at...(date time)

Profile match: Success

Pre-Association: Success

Association: Fail

Security and Authentication: Not started

Profile: (profile_name)

SSID: (ssid_name)

SSID length: #

Connection mode: Infra

Security: Yes

Set by group policy: No

Connect even if network is not broadcasting: No

Connectable: Yes

Information for Connection ID #

Connection started at: (date time)

Auto Configuration ID: #

Profile: (profile_name)

SSID: (ssid_name)

SSID length: #

Connection mode: Infra

Security: Yes

Pre-Association and Association

Connectivity settings provided by hardware manufacturer (IHV): No

Security settings provided by hardware manufacturer (IHV): No

Profile matches network requirements: Success

Pre-association status: Success

Association status: Fail 0x00038002

Assocation reason code: 0x00000002

Result of diagnosis: Problem found

Wireless association to "(name)" failed

A response was not received from the router or access point.

Super Advisor
miker643

Re: Satellite C655-S5128 Atheros AR9285 Card Won't Connect To Netgear WGT624v3

[ Edited ]

Have you tried connecting the new laptop to another wireless network, one without security, a coffee shop etc? That is, does this laptop only seem to have problems connecting to your wireless network?

Have you hard reset your wireless router back to 'default' values, and reset the wireless system in Windows 7 on the new laptop back to default. That is, have you tried connecting to your router with the new laptop with no security enabled on either?

Mike

TSee

Thank you for your advice Mike. :robothappy:

Since the laptop had not yet gone through it's initial Windows 7 updates, I did not want to connect to an unsecure network (I wanted to update the laptop through my secure network first).

Since five other devices, and even devices that friends bring over, already connect to my wireless router with the current settings, I did not want to go back and reset everything for one new device that I was not sure about.

I found a more current Atheros driver from opendrivers.com, copied it to my USB drive and then to the laptop, extracted the files to a folder on the desktop, and then ran the setup program.  Right after the new driver was installed, version 9.2.0.113, the laptop connected to my wireless router. :robotvery-happy:

It might be a good idea for Toshiba to update the Model Content Page with more current drivers if they are available.  Looks like I will stick with this laptop after all! :robotvery-happy:

Super Advisor
miker643

[ Edited ]

It's good to know everything is working for you, thanks for the update.

I found this Toshiba Wireless Drivers Download page on their European site, while looking for Atheros drivers for you and another user, it contains the same driver as you mention above:

Toshiba Wireless Drivers Download

In case anyone needs another option.

Mike