craig1216

Satellite A665-S6086: wireless detection and power managment

When I switch from AC power to battery power, my laptop will not hold a consistent wireless connection. If on batter power, the wireless icon turns itself off and on constantly, prompting a "beep" and a message box with the wireless symbol and simple text of "off" or "on."

Due to other recommendations, I have adjusted the power management settings. First, by selecting Device Manager-- Network Adapators-- Properties-- Power Management-- unchecking "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power." I did this for each listed adaptor. This did not solve the issue.

Leaving those boxes unchecked, I then did Device Manager-- Intel Centrino WiMAX adaptors-- Properties-- Power Management-- unchecking "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power." This did not solve the issue.

Leaving those settings, I then adjusted my computer's overall power setting. Control Panel-- Hardware and Sound-- Power Options-- Select a Power Plan-- Eco/Change Plan Settings-- Change Advanced Power Settings-- Wireless Adaptor Settings-- Power Saving Mode-- changed to "Maximum Performance" at advice of forum. This, also, did not solve the issue.

1. Is there something else I need to be doing to adjust this feature? As long as my power adaptor is plugged in, I rarely have issues with a wireless internet connection. This on/off annoyance occurs, but it is much more rare, which is why I'm assuming this is a power management issue. Note: when my battery is extremely low, the issue gets worse.

2. Is there a way to COMPLETELY turn OFF the wireless feature? When traveling by car, I have no intention of having a wireless connection. But while typing documents, watching movies and playing games, the the message box and beep happens constantly. The "beep" makes it impossible to enjoy music and the message box freezes computer activity for 3-5 seconds every time.

I am fed up. Please help. Am I on the right track with diagnosis? Spouse thinks the "mobility tool bar" is on the fritz, like it is too sensitive and that is what makes the on/off activity occur. However, I have no issues with the volume control buttons on the toolbar.