mexicanbob

Realtek Wireless Card Issues

I own a Satellite A505D-S6968, which came with a Wireless LAN card, Realtek RTL8192E.  It cannot hold a wireless connection from my router at home unless I bring the laptop to about 5 feet away from the router, and then the signal holds up perfectly.  I know it's not a router problem, because other members of my family are able to connect on their laptops from even greater distances than I am trying to connect. (I'm trying to connect from about 60 feet away.)   An "Update Drivers" check says my drivers are up to date (Version 6.1661.123.2009).  I've tried downloading the appropriate drivers from the toshiba site, but even those do not fix my connection.  I was thinking maybe I should try to get an older version of the driver and maybe that would work.  Any help?

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Realtek Wireless Card Issues

Satellite A505D-S6968 

I know it's not a router problem, because other members of my family are able to connect..

Do any of those machines have Windows Vista?

Maybe this helps.

Troubleshoot low wireless signal quality problems

-Jerry
JimmyMorrelli

I just bought a Qosmio with the same wireless card.  I have read the same complaints about the Realtech wireless cards in other laptops reviews.  Has Toshiba made any efforts to repair the issue?  If so did they work?

I am still waiting on mine to arrive as they are B/O 10 to 12 weeks out.  Being wireless is the most important thing when it comes to a laptop, without its just a desktop that folds in half.

I know Toshiba offers the Intel card as well, you can chose it if you choose the $25 upgrade if you get a customizable laptop.  All their pre built models offer the Realtech, even the Qosmio which is the high performance gaming unit.  Seeing a pattern I am going to contact Toshiba and see if I can swap it out and upgrade to the Intel.  I have no problems paying extra if it avoids future hassles.

Let me know if your issues have been resolved and what I should expect out of Toshiba customer support if I have the same issues.  I have the option to cancel since it hasn't shipped yet.  Toshiba has always been great to me, never having any issues but I have read a few horror stories which have got me wondering.

Thanks

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

Jimmy, the previous post was from over three months ago.  I seriously doubt if the poster is going to respond now if he didn't bother to respond back then. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

1bigkidd

I find it strange that no one wants to address the problems with these Realtek cards.  Does anyone know if the wi-fi card thats in the Qosmio X505 Q850 can be changed to an Intel wi-fi card? If so which one??? Or are we stuck with Realtek because it's soldered in.  I just returned my Qosmio X505 for a replacement because of a bad wi-fi card,  item out of stock I'm still waiting for replacement I was hoping a replacement would change all that. but it looks like this laptop will be plagued with this problem. Please anyone out there with this computer who is not having any wi-fi problems, we need to hear from you.  By the way I''m not saying that all Realtek cards are bad, just the model they decided to use in the Qosmio X505.

Occasional Contributor
bobcohen

Hi Jimmy, I would definitely try to change the order, or cancel it out if they won't change it, and then re-order it with the Intel wireless card. I have a realtek RTL-8192E wireless adapter in my Satellite L555D-S7912 laptop, and have intermittent problems with it as well. It is iffy at best, and when the laptop boots up, it usually takes about 4 minutes or so before the wireless will actually connect to my router and give me access to the internet. As far as their tech support/customer service, I wouldn't expect too much from them since I opened a case with them and worked with Joy and then a supervisor, Summer, who was supposed to be addressing my complaint about Toshiba misrepresenting the hardware in the laptop, with my laptop NOT coming with an Expresscard slot in it, as they stated in the specifications. She NEVER got back to me again after I sent her the photos of the laptop she requested. So they lie a lot, and don't really care about the end user once they get your money!!! GOOD LUCK!!!!

BOB

Occasional Contributor
Nuclear_Arbitor

i bought an x505 - Q850 about a month ago off newegg. when it arrived the wireless was working perfectly. it continued to work fine, although i didn't use it. about 3 weeks ago i was coming back from a trip and i used the laptop on the ferry. the wireless picked up multipul connections broadcast by other people but didn't get anything i could use. i decided for no apperent reason to flick the little wireless on/off switch. it didn't help obviously. i didn't notice anything until a couple of days later when my brohter had to use the wired connection. when i unplugged i was unable to connect to the local wireless (it's not mine, we're hijacking) however my brother was still able to. i mostly ignored the issue becuase i didn't feel like dealing with it and i don't need the wireless very often. since then i have tried looking for new drivers, i have the second to newest and the newest does not appear to be avalible for download, i cant even find my card on their site (Realtek RTL8191SE Wireless LAN 802.11n PCI-E NIC is the name that appears under device manager). changing driver settings and powersettings does not seem to have had any effect and the device shows up as installed but but with wireless capability turned off.

any help? thank you

hillbilly_nomad

Just confirming.  I have owned both the Q830-x505 and Q850-x505 laptops, exchanged the former for the latter.  Both were equipped with Realtek RTL8191SE Wirelsss LAN 802.11.n PCI-E NIC cards.  Both had issues with Wi-Fi.  Bascically, they work fine when you are very close to the router.  You get a little further away and hangs start happening.  Email or web-browsing was usable but painful.  Network video games not playable.  My conclusion is that if you aren't getting 54 Mbps then you will get intermittent networking hans as if the card dies for a second or two then comes back.

I guess its time to buy a separate wi-fi card.  Would be nice if one could snap in a different chip in place of the Realtek.

idris

I bougt toshiba satellite A505 S6989 LAPTOP IT HAS REALTEK WLAN SOMETHING I HAVE 64 BIT WINDOWS 7

AND I ALSO SET VISTA 32 BIT EVRYTHING JUST FINE BUT I HAVE PROBLEM WITH YOUR PRODUCT I TRY MILLION TIME INSTALL OV LAN WIRELESS DRIVER BUT IT DOESNT WORK 

WHEN I LOOK AT DEVICE MANEGER I SAW SOME DRIVER DIDNT INSTALL AND HAS YELLON MARK (UNKNOWN DEVICE) ARE FOLLOWING 

REALTEK RTL8101 FAMILIY PCI E 

NETWORK CONTROLLER

BUS CONTROLLER

DOESNT WORK 

PLEASE HELP

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Satellite A505-S6989 

I HAVE 64 BIT WINDOWS 7 AND I ALSO SET VISTA 32 BIT EVRYTHING..

What does that mean? You installed Windows Vista on that machine?

I HAVE PROBLEM WITH YOUR PRODUCT

It's not my product. There are no Toshiba tech-support people here. I'm just a user like you.

-Jerry
Zilch0md

A solution that worked for me

I'll spare everyone my personal story of Realtek's deplorable quality control and Toshiba's deplorable support.

If your laptop (any laptop - not just Toshiba) is equipped with a non-functioning Realtek RTL8191SE Wireless LAN 802.11n PCI-E NIC, and you don't want to go through the hassle of replacing it with an internal radio that works, here's a workaround that has put the whole problem to rest for me:

1)  Buy a USB-attached network adapater.  I recommend the Netgear WN111 Wireless N Rangemaster Adapter (rated at 300 Mbps).  You don't need a Rangemaster router to use this NIC.  I've seen them refurbished for as little as $9.99 at Newegg.  I had a NETGEAR WG111v2 54Mbps Wirless USB 2.0 Adapter (rated at 54 Mbps) lying in my parts bin that I wasn't using for anything else, so that's what I have installed on my Toshiba L505. 

2) Download the latest driver for the USB NIC you've acquired.  If it's an older NIC, like the WG111v2 I'm using, you can download a Windows Vista driver, that will work just fine with Windows 7 (but look for a Windows 7 driver if that's what your laptop is running.)

3) Go to Start > Control Panel > Device Manager

Expand the "Network Adapters" branch and right-click on the "Realtek RTL8191SE Wireless LAN 802.11n PCI-E NIC" device, then select "Disable" from the context menu.  You don't have to "Uninstall" it, just "Disable" it. (You can easily "Enable" the Realtek radio at any time if you're unsuccessful with installing the USB NIC.)

4) Read the instructions that accompany the driver software you downloaded and install the USB NIC following those instructions.

5) Depending on the availability of USB ports on your laptop, and how closely set they are, you might want to get a small USB port mulitplier (or just a short USB extension cable) so that the USB NIC doesn't get in the way of other devices that need a USB port.

The End

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

Re: A solution that worked for me

For the most part that will only work with 32bit Win 7.  Netgear doesn't support most of their Wireless Cards under Win 7 64bit.  I've been fighting that since Win 7 was first released and their support is basically non-existant.  I would go with a Belkin instead of a Netgear personally.  I've had MUCH better luck with them, especially under Windows 7.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

CahabaGirl

Re: A solution that worked for me

I have a Toshiba U505-S6040 running Win 7, 64 bit, with the Realtek RTL8191SE Wireless LAN 802.11n PCI-E NIC that I have had for 6 months.  I had no problems with wireless access until a couple of months ago when it suddenly failed to identify my router [Linksys Wireless-N router].  After searching the Toshiba site, I found the references to the updated driver 2007.1.002.2009 which I installed and restarted per the directions.  That did not fix the problem.  [I know that the problem is the Realtek adapter because we have 3 other wireless laptops on the premises which have full wireless access.]

I am considering replacing the wireless adapter but have never done that before.  I'm not sure what brand/type to purchase, and have no idea as to the difficulty of replacing it myself.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Cahaba Girl