Occasional Contributor
hhm7163

Realtek RTL8191SE Wireless LAN 802.11n PCI-E "Disconnected"

The icon in taskbar by the clock says "Disconnected". What does this mean? Can't get wireless connection if away from home? If so, how can I fix it? 

Typed the above Realtek info into Run, but no result. Nothing found.

Frankly I'm ignorant re networking. 

Satellite L555D-S7005

Win7 Home Premium

NTFS 64-bit

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Realtek RTL8191SE Wireless LAN 802.11n PCI-E "Disconnected"

Satellite L555D-S7005 

Fn + F8 turns on the wireless. You'll see an indicator light near the left side on the front of the computer.

See the section ConfigFree, starting on p. 161 of the User's Guide.

Satellite L550 Series User’s Guide

And Windows Vista has its own stuff.

View and connect to available wireless networks

Wireless networking: frequently asked questions

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
hhm7163

Thanks, Jerry, for the quick response.

The indicator light has always been on, but frankly I had ignored it (and forgotten it) because of no need. The lit light apparently has no connection with the Disconnected shown on the icon in the system tray. In going through ConfigFree (very carefully because I have no confidence in what I'm doing) it appears I needed to create a wireless profile if used away from home. I chose "Mobile" and now the "Disconnected" in the icon has disappeared. Pointing cursor on icon now shows Home profile (Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller). Left clicking on the icon shows (among other things) both profiles and pointing cursor to the wireless Realtek shows option to Enable and the Family Controller has option to Disable (enabled now because I'm home). These options (I think because I have not tested it) allow quick automatic change between the two profiles. Is that correct?

If correct then I need to carefully study the Help section of ConfigFree to know what I need to do to connect while mobile.

It is doubtful I would have found ConfigFree on my own. It is not shown in Start menu and the icon in the system tray is revealed only by clicking the arrow. I have now learned to R-click and L-click on the icon. As you point out, it is in the User's Guide along with so much more and I have been concentrating on more immediate needs.

Thanks again, I really appreciate the help.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Sounds like you're making progress.

Sorry I can't help more. I've never seen ConfigFree (no Toshiba computers here).

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
hhm7163

Huh? "No Toshiba computers here"? I thought this was a Toshiba site and you had only Toshiba computers? Could this be a reflection on the quality of help? This is not a "shot" at you, Jerry. You have truly been helpful. I am just very confused and wonder about any future help I may need.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

[ Edited ]

Could this be a reflection on the quality of help?

I am just very confused and wonder about any future help I may need.

There is nobody in this forum from Toshiba's tech support. We are all users just like you.

I am a Microsoft MVP helping out in this forum mostly for Windows problems.

Maybe that explain things.

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
hhm7163

I didn't expect Toshiba's tech support, but I did expect participants to be all Toshiba users so that specifically Toshiba problems/questions would be addressed. There is a plethora of Windows help sites available.

Yes, you explained a lot and I thank you for that.