anca

Realtek RTL8191SE - WLAN not recognized after Windows 7 starts - F8 hotkey is missing too.

I have a Toshiba Satelllite L555-S7930. The WLAN is not working for 8 months  now. I was waiting for an update or something, but everything I did, it didn't work. When I restart the computer I can see the red light from the wireless network adapter ON. The next thing when the computer it's passing the BIOS step, the wireless turn OFF. When the Windows screen comes on, the wireless is OFF. I called the tech support. All they could tell me it's to install the windows again from the recovery disk. The capital measure....I am trying to understand where is the problem. The wireless adapter starts when computer is in the BIOS mode, but when Windows starts the wireless comes off. In the BIOS, the wireless adapter is set ON. Can somebody give me some directions where to look, or what to do about this?

1. Wireless adapter is working for 5 seconds before the computer comes in "Windows" mode.

2. Wireless adapter cannot be found in device manager.

3. If I go in BIOS mode, the light from the wireless adapter stays on. I save the changes in the BIOS, and few seconds later it goes OFF.

4. Hotkeys: FN +F8 would be doing switch role for this wireless adapter. Hotkey F8 is missing totally. From F7 it goes to F9.

Right now I am using an USB wireless adapter, but I would like to fix this problem. I got the computer in November of 2009. Starting in January of 2010 the wireless adapter went off and I could never fix it. I tried to install the Realtek driver, I updated the BIOS, i took the battery out, everything I found on this forum about this model I tried. Can somebody help me? Thank you.

Occasional Contributor
Sublime14

Re: Realtek RTL8191SE - WLAN not recognized after Windows 7 starts - F8 hotkey is missing too.

Try setting your BIOS to defaults if your WLAN adapter does not appear in device manager.

anca

Re: Realtek RTL8191SE - WLAN not recognized after Windows 7 starts - F8 hotkey is missing too.

I did. Default initial settings. Nothing happens. And the other thing weird....F8 hotkey is not there....Thanks!

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Satelllite L555-S7930

Maybe this model?

Satellite L555D-S7930

Wouldn't hurt to try all these drivers, though the first one claims this fix.

Changes From Previous Version

1. Fixed: The Wireless LAN card stops working and can not be detected by the system.

Realtek Wireless LAN Driver for Windows 7 (32/64) (Version 2007.1.1002.2009 - Released 05/12/10)

Realtek Wireless LAN Driver for Windows 7 (32/64) (Version 2.00.0006.L_090829 - Released 10/23/09)

Realtek Wireless LAN Driver for Windows 7 (32/64) (Version 2.00.0006 - Released 10/07/09)

-Jerry
anca

I am back again. Today I restore the computer to "out of the box" stage by using the recovery discs(3). After that re-installation of the Windows 7 Home Premium, I also installed the realtek driver for wlan. I am at a point where I don't know what to try anymore. Maybe replacing the computer? :-(

I started the computer, I could see the red light for WLAN for exactly 5 seconds. After the boot screen, when the "Starting Windows..." screen it's on, the light goes off. When I go in the device manager no WLAN is present. I can see only the ethernet card, no WIFI. Does anybody else has this problem with the wireless card? Is Toshiba replacing those under warranty? My laptop is a Toshiba Satellite L555D-S7930. At very short time after purchasing, the wireless card stopped working, vanished from device manager and took the F8 hotkey with it. Pleaseee helppp me!   Thank you!

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Today I restore the computer to "out of the box" stage by using the recovery discs(3).

After that re-installation of the Windows 7 Home Premium

I don't understand. When you restore the hard disk to its original factory-new contents, Window 7 Home Premium is already in place. That's when you want to test the wireless. What's this about re-installation of Windows?

In any case, it's beginning to look like the wireless card needs replacing.

-Jerry
anca

I was just explaining that the actual restore is like installing everything fresh....I just started from the beginning , but the wireless card is doing the same thing. Also, the weird thing is that if I go into BIOS to change anything, the led from the wireless is red and on like it's working. It just when Windows starts, wireless disappeared , it vanished.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Time to try a new card. 

..at National Parts Depot

..at Spare Parts Warehouse

-Jerry
anca

Thank you for your support! I called Toshiba and I will send the laptop to them. The laptop is still under warranty. I hope they can replace that card. Anything I tried didn't fix it.

Thanks again!

ps: Jerry, replacing the card is something that we can do in home?

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

replacing the card is something that we can do in home?

If you're not into this sort of thing, best to let the technical people do it.

Good luck!

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
bxpeters

I am one of dozens of people I have found on multiple forums that have tis problem. If this problem is related to the hardware, then its most likely a chipset that is common amongst many different WLAN manufacturers because people with Realtek, Intel, and Anthos WLAN cards are all experiencing this problem with Windows 7 after updates that occured after Jan. 1st.

If you haven't sent the laptop back to Toshiba yet, try the "Windows 7 DIagnostic Troubleshooter Utility" also known as "Fix-It" from Microsoft. Let me know if this works for you.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Maybe this one?

Hardware devices not detected or not working

-Jerry
mancu2012

Hi!!! Could you resolve that problem of the realtek wireless. Last week I purchased a Toshiba C655 and the first three days the wireless works perfect and the fourth day, suddenly stopped working....

Im getting crazy looking everywhere for a solution.. Im a bit dessesperated...

COuld you help me? which was the solution, do you replace the card?

Thank you very much

keving98

I realize this post is old but I had the same problem with the RTL8191SE wireless card in a customers Toshiba Satellite.  The wireless card disappeared from the device manager and nothing I did could get it back.  I ordered what I thought was the right replacement for $4.24 delivered (free shipping).  5 minutes after I ordered it I realized I had made a mistake and ordered the correct part.  For $4.24 I wasn't going to go through the hassle of canceling the first order.  When I got the correct wireless card I installed it and it showed up in the device manager and also showed up when I hit the fn key.  I didn't have the power cord so I didn't try to connect to my wireless network -- I just assumed it would work.  Two days later I find out that it sees wireless networks in range but won't connect.  I did normal diagnostics but didn't find anything.  I did an in-place reinstall of Windows 7 Home Premium with no luck.  For the heck of it I put the $4.24 card in and it worked perfectly.  The card that worked is a RTL8187SE.  Windows 7 found it and installed it automatically.  Windows Update updated it to the latest drivers.  The eBay listing was titled "Toshiba A505 L505 Laptop Wireless Card V000180320".  The card is half the length of the correct card and therefore there's no way to screw it down to the motherboard but the two wireless antennae hold it in place until the keyboard is replaced.  With the keyboard in place I'm sure it's not going anywhere.  You can probably find a way to secure it further if you thought about it (Krazyglue?).

Good luck.

Kevin G