KAG
KAG

RealTek RTL8723AE Wireless Lan 802.11n PCI-E NIC

I just received my new laptop on Monday (9/24/12), a Toshiba Satellite S875-S7242.

This computer is a I-7 with all the bells & whistles, and costs about $900 with tax.

This laptop is nice except for the poor reception of the subject RealTek wireless card.

Problem:  The signal strength indicator of the NEW Toshiba S875-S7242 in the lower right corner of the screen shows that I have 5 full bars, even at 200 feet away.  When the laptop is placed within 10' of the router, it gets a 45-50mbps transfer rate.  When moving the laptop to my living room sofa (50' from the router), the transfer rate drops to 5-10mpbs.  When moving the laptop to my master bedroom (80' from the router), the transfer rate drops to 1mpbs (yes-that is one megabits per second).  Not much better than dial-up by today's standards.

I am using a Dlink DIR-655 router which is located in my back bedroom/office and have a 50mbps connection with Charter Communications.

As a comparison:

My 6 year old Toshiba Laptop using a USB Cisco N plug-in device gets 40-45mbps transfer @ 50' distance.

My husbands 2 year old Acer laptop using a Broadcom N internal card gets 45-50mbps transfer @ 50' distance.

I have downloaded the latest driver from the Toshiba dated 7/12/12, version 2002.5.712.2012

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/modelContent.jsp?modelFilter=S875-S7242&rpn=PSKB...

What are my options with this unit?  This type of wireless reception is totally unacceptable.

Any suggestions or help will be greatly appreciated. 

Otherwise, Bestbuy will be getting a returned unit this week...

Super Advisor
cbwilsha

Re: RealTek RTL8723AE Wireless Lan 802.11n PCI-E NIC

The first thing to try is download the latest RealTek WLAN Driver V2.00.0020 dated 9/18/12 which is just 8 days ago.

C.B.

C.B.

Toshiba Sat. L675D-S7016 Win 8 PRO 64 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L775D-S7132 Win 7 PRO SP3 64 Bit which also has Virtual Machine with Win XP SP3---Toshiba Sat. L305-S5921 Win Vista SP2 32 Bit
KAG
KAG

Thank you for your reply.

The driver update you suggested was posted and relesed by Toshiba on 9/18/12.

I have installed this updated driver. 

When viewing the new driver details, it reports version 2002.5.712.2012, dated 7/12/12.

There are no newer drivers on the Toshiba site.

When doing a search on the RealTek site, they do not even show a response for a RealTek RTL8723AE.

KAG
KAG

UPDATE:

I spent an hour on the phone with Toshiba technical support (from Israel, of all places).

The tech guy did a direct link to my laptop via the internet and finally said the Realtek wireles card was defective or incompatible with my Dlink DIR-655 router. He also told me to return the laptop to Best Buy and make absolutely sure that I only purchase a laptop with an Intel wireless card!

I wanted to know if my router was a problem, so I ran down to Best Buy and purchased a new Netgear 900N router.  No improvement, in fact the Netgear provided a slightly slower transfer rate than may 2 year old Dlink DIR-655.  Now I have to return the router too.

I wrote Realtek technical support about the problem and they responded with an updated driver.  I installed the new driver, but no difference in the transfer speed.

Conclusion from this excercise - The Realtek wireless card is either defective or complete trash.

Super Advisor
cbwilsha

[ Edited ]

You are spending entirely too much of your time to get a NEW computer to work as it is supposed to, KAG. I do agree that is probably a defective wireless card but I would want a NEW computer, not a repaired one.  Good Luck!

C.B.

Toshiba Sat. L675D-S7016 Win 8 PRO 64 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L775D-S7132 Win 7 PRO SP3 64 Bit which also has Virtual Machine with Win XP SP3---Toshiba Sat. L305-S5921 Win Vista SP2 32 Bit
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

If you use wireless N, the security chosen often interferes. See especially Fix 4 here:

5 Ways To Fix Slow 802.11n Speed

-Jerry
KAG
KAG

10/2/12 - Just received another NEW Toshiba Satellite S875-S7242 (i7) with the same RealTek RTL8723AE Wireless Lan 802.11n PCI-E NIC card.  I installed all of the Windows updates and then installed the latest Toshiba driver for the RealTek card, directly from the Toshiba support website.  I was hoping that the first laptop just received a "one-in-a-million" defective wireless card.

Unfortunately, I got the EXACT same results as the first laptop. Terrible!

The previous RealTek card was not defective at all!  This brand (RealTek) card is just complete trash!

One might ask, doesn't Toshiba test their products before bringing them to market?  Or do they just count on the majority of consumers not being able to test the performance themselves?

I would suggest that you DO NOT BUY A COMPUTER WITH A REALTEK WIRELESS CARD INSTALLED.

KAG
KAG

Here are some sites to test your wireless speed.

Charter Communications

http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/forums/replypage/board-id/brd_network/message-id/15176

ATT

http://www.att.com/speedtest/

Xfinity (Comcast)

http://speedtest.comcast.net/

Lex521

KAG, Did you ever find a solution to your problem with the Realtek RTL8723A?  I just purchased a Toshiba Satellite S855-S5381 on 12-14-12 at a local COSTCO.  Same wireless card, same problem, its running windows 8.  My 3 year old Toshiba Satellite sitting next to the new one, usually gets at least twice the download speed.  Next to my  wireless router, I can get up to 25Mbps, same as if hardwired.  Take it into my kitchen, with 5 bars of signal strength, I get a download speed of 3.5 to 6 Mbps. Older Toshiba shows 13Mbps.  Driver date 8-12-12.  Nothing newer shown.  Anyone find a solution?  Tried different power settings, turned off Bluetooth, even does it when powered by ac adapter with settings set for max performance.  My Netgear wirless router has the latest update.

KAG
KAG

I had to purchase a replacement WiFi card.

You have two good choices -

1. Intel 6235AN.HMWWB (WiFi and Bluetooth) $30 at Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Intel-6235AN-HMWWB-Centrino-Advanced-N-Bluetooth/dp/B007QXLIWI

2. Intel Wimax 6250 622anxhmw (WiFi only / No Bluetooth) $10 at Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Advanced-n-Wimax-6250-622anxhmw/dp/B004M9NZIO

Good Luck

xtyn83

Wow. Thanks for this post. I am havivng exactly the same issue at the moment.

I just purchased a new Toshiba laptop with the same wireless card. The computer connected fine for one week in both our office (upstairs) and in the lounge next to the router. But, all of a sudden on Thursday the connection kept dropping in the office. Thinking it was a Windows8 issue, I followed some tutorials to change some of the settings, but no reprieve. Glad to know that it is the garbage card and I can make some headway in getting this sorted.

bburke42

KAG,

Thanks for the info - I now own 4 Toshiba laptops that have this terrible wireless card, that has caused me no end of trouble. I had no idea you could buy an aftermarket one and install it - easily.

Was it easy to replace?

I think I'll buy 4 of the intel cards, and get some real wireless n frequencies and speeds.

Having said all that - even the realtek 8723A seems to work ok, if there is basicall no other wireless networks around you and no RFI. But, I live in an apartment, surrounded my appartments and there are HEAPS of other 2.4Ghz wireless LANs.

Thanks for your help on this!

zhenchu

I have the L855-S5383 which has trouble maintaining the wifi connection.  When it was new, it connected okay, but didn't load pages nearly as quickly as through the wired LAN.  After it was 6 months old, the wifi would randomly lose connection.  Once the connection was lost, the option to reconnect can't be brought up through windows 8.  The hardware manager showed the device is working and enabled yet windows acted as though there was no card installed in the system, though device manager showed the card working and okay..  The drivers are the latest.  The only way to reconnect once it drops the connection is to reboot the computer.  I've lost plenty of work to this fault.

I wasted many hours troubleshooting this.  I did virus scans,, verified the driver installation and so forth.  Ultimately, I bought a new hard drive (so as not to lose my original OS) and installed windows 8 from the recovery DVD's.   With the fresh install of  Windows 8, the problem persisted.  Strangely, this problem seems to cause excessive CPU loading too.  The fan turns on frequently during light use on the fresh install of Windows 8. 

I bought a replacement board on eBay and opened the unit today to swap out this card.  It turned out the card I bought was a different realtek chip.  That's when I came to this forum to see if there were compatiblity issues with the alternate card.  Once I read this forum about how miserable this card is,  I decided not to install drivers for a different realtek chip and  I've set this mess to the side because opening the case was an ordeal.  I've ordered the Intel Centrino 6235 card and plan to swap it out later this week.

Can folks who installed the Intel Centrio 6235 board remark if there was any installation hickups?     I found the drivers on the Intel site.  

zhenchu

Just to update, I installed the Intel Centrino 6235 in my L855-5383, in place of the Realtek card.  The Centrino card connected to my network as soon as I powered up the computer and without installing new drivers.  Windows device manager shows all drivers for bluetooth and wifi are correct. 

MrEZ

Thanks for the update. I will order one today :-)

alanevil

I bought my Satellite C55-A5281 last year and my Realtek has failed similarly.  Why is Toshiba still using this piece of crap?!?  Even sitting three feet away from my router I will suddenly lose all connectivity.  The computer still thinks everything's fine but there will be NO wireless connections available even though there are usually a minimum of ten visible.  I've ordered a replacement wireless card (the intel centrino recommended above) but seriously, Toshiba, what is wrong with you installing this garbage in your machines.  You're supposed to be one of the most reliable manufacturers out there.

Viktor00

Had the same problem of from time to time loosing the wifi contact, or in some days not even to lock in.

A technician from the telephone company came, inspected the rooter, even changed it with a new one, the same result, even with the small lap top he had with him.

His diagnose was, there are some rooters or mobiles in the surounding, disturbing the wifi connection from the lap tops to the rooter.

He advised to observe, if the direct ethernet connection to the rooten (no wifi inbetween), will have any problems, if so, the telephone company must do something, otherwise, its the costumer responability to connect to wifi of th rooter.

The wired connection had no problems, we used ist for 2 days.

We found a solution to the problem, without changing the hardware of our laptop.

We downloaded the wifiinfoview (recommended by Microsoft), unziped it and run the program wifiinfoview. With this programm you can see all the channels in your surrounding with the channelnumber and the signal strenght.

We found out that our rooter was transmitting at channel 11, many other rooter were transmitting on the same channel, with lower signal strenght. We changed the rooter channelnumber (you should find out, how to connect to the roouter: normally typing in the upper line of your browser-not in the search line in the middle- https://192.168.1.1 or something like this, with username admin and password admin) to number 3, nobody was emitting on this channel.

This was fine for some time, until there was the same problem.

Why? because now there was a new rooter transmitting on channel 6, but the signal strengh was more than our rooter, getting the realtek RTL8723AE in trooble.

We changed one parameter of the realtek RTL8723AE: the bandwith from 40 MHz to 20 Mhz (go to device manager,find your wifi card and click on properties). So we narrowed the frequency the wifi card looks at.

Up to now, several days, we dont loose any more contact to the rooter, everything is working fine