rthornton

Radio Test Failed but switch is on - Intel WiFi Link 5100 AGN

My toshiba will not connect to my router, it does not even see a single network.  I tried a different laptop, it sees both my home network and my neighbors and connects beautifully.

The wireless switch on the toshiba is on, and the card is enabled in Device Manager, but when I run the Manual Diagnostic Tool, the "Radio Test" Fails.  It says the Switch Radio is off.

I have enabled and disabled the card in device manager, no errors, device working properly.

It seems the detection ability of the card is hosed.

I don't know what else to do.  Replace card?

JACKPOT440

Re: Radio Test Failed but switch is on - Intel WiFi Link 5100 AGN

Having the same problem as you. Wondering why nobody has reply with any help .

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Wondering why nobody has reply with any help .

Nobody tells which computer and which Windows.

-Jerry
tx777

I'm having the same problem (with a Satellite A305 running vista)

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Which Satellite A305?

-Jerry
nmtltd

Had this problem on my daughters Portege.  Test failed even though the hardware switch was turned on.  Fixed by uninstalling the wireless network device from the device manager in Vista Business.  Then ran Scan for Hardware Changes.  When it reinstalled the device it was working again.  Hope it works for you.

MTBraden

I have a satelite A505-S6965 I am running vista 64 and I am having the same problem sometimes I can connect to the router but can't connect to the internet even when I connect to the router with cables I can connect to the internet but I can't see other computers on the router. Can anyone help? Do i need to replace the wifi card? I have noticed there are alot of problems with my  WiFi Link 5100 AGN wifi card is this a firmware issue or hardware issue?

sealslayer

The problem described in the original post sounds a lot like mine.  My wireless switch is on, but the software reports that it is not on.  The indicator light is definitely not on.  I have an A135-S2386 with an intel 4965agn on win 7 pro. 

My question to rthorton is whether he also has an indicator light on next to the wireless switch?  The software indicates it is on, but the diagnostics claim that the radio is not active.  It definitely comes on when I put the old PCI-e wireless card in.  I've tried some of the suggestions in this post (deleting and re-installing the drivers via the scan for new hardware), but have no luck.

I'm almost wondering if ther is some sort of bios thing as well.  When the old wireless card is in, the wireless switch light comes on just as windows 7 loads.

ceedubb

cant begin to tell you how much this is pi$$ing me off!!

same problem, can connect via cable, but not wirelessly.

Satellite A350, same wireless adapter, fails radio tests, the light on the front near the swith is not working. Updated drivers but not working still.

Anyone found a solution?

Cheers

Chris

Occasional Advisor
archie_civil

have you tried to uninstall and reinstall the drivers for the Wifi card? or maybe try FN + F8? have you restart the computer to BIOS to load setup defaults?

try those and post back what happens

julieg86

BIOS was updated. Fn+F8 didn't help. So you see everything shows up fine, EXCEPT switch won't light no matter what drivers you use? Won't listen under XP, Vista, 7? The cure on my M105 was to bypass pin20 on the pci-e card.

Pull the plug and battery out so there is no power. Open WiFi panel under your laptop. Unplug antenna cables.

Turn card face down (antenna holes down) and cover ONLY pin20 with clear tape.

Insert into laptop. Press down to lock. Plug antenna cables again. Close access panel.

Power up. Install Intel 5100 utility so you can switch it on/off from tasktray.

The older laptops that had physical switch used pins 11,13 (top side) for the light when switch was on. Newer laptops only have software switch. The 5100 is getting tricked into seeing the hardware switch as OFF because of "older wiring."  BTW, turn off tomato if you have that for your router.  Good Luck