jeffg1

Problem with Qualcomm Atheros AR956x wireless network adapter

Hi,
I just purchased a Toshiba Satellite S-50 A and am having problems with the Qualcomm Atheros AR956x wireless network adapter that came with it.

With the wireless router at my home, the internet frequently cuts out. When it does, I run the Windows Network Diagnostics,  and get the message: "problem with network access point or wireless adapter" with a green check and "fixed" next to it. I will then have access to the internet for another 15 seconds to a minute before it cuts out again and the process needs to be repeated.

The problem IS NOT with my service provider, as I have an older Toshiba Satellite that I was running concurrently on the same network and not having any connection issues with.

The problem IS ALSO NOT with the actual wireless adapter hardware, as I don't have any connection issues with the Toshiba Satellite S-50 A at my parent's house with their wireless router.

I figure the problem must be between the driver and my router (and possibly windows 8), but the wireless adapter driver is up to date, and I have tried installing other drivers, which has not fixed the problem. Toshiba phone support also had me wipe my computer to out-of-box state (even though it was a brand new computer), and this also did not fix the problem.

Any suggestions? It's a brand new computer from Toshiba direct and the internet is virtually unusable at my home on this particular computer.

Regular Advisor
priuscat

Re: Problem with Qualcomm Atheros AR956x wireless network adapter

how about giving your router SSID name a new name and password? 

Tressway

Resetting the SSID will not solve this problem. I have the same computer (Satellite S-50 with Qualcomm Atheros AR956x). There is really only one solution I can think of and that is for Qualcomm Communications, INC to produce a new driver for the adapter that will stabilize the wireless connection. If anyone else out there has a legitimate solution I am very interested in hearing it.

Wayne

Titus 2:11-13

jeffg1

I agree the problem is with the driver, and the lack of a fully compatible, functioning one. This is definitely going to be my last computer with a Qualcomm adapter, and probably my last Toshiba too, as their phone support has been pretty terrible.

ansiadurin

I have the same problem, my new Toshiba Satellite C50D with Qualcomm Atheros AR956X wireless network adapter will not connect to my home wifi router, a (few years old) Sitecom with 802.11g wifi standard.

Or actually, it randomly does and suddenly disconnects and won't reconnect for days.

It is ridiculous but the only way to connect my new laptop is by plugging in a (few years old) wifi USB adapter (it is a Edimax EW-7711UMn). This worked plug-and-play immediately, and automatically activated a "WiFi2" menu. So now I keep the default "Wifi1" disabled.

Nevertheless I tried to find ways to get the embedded wifi to work. 

I tried downloading and installing new drivers for the Qualcomm adapter but they don't work either.

Enabling/disabling "ADhoc 802.11n"  in the wifi adapter configuration doesn't work either.

Toshiba and Qualcomm should better care for backward compatibility, this is extremely annoying.

Should anyone fin a solution I will appreciate it.

mevalade

Hello,

I have a the same problem with my Satellite Pro.

Research on this forum allowed my to find tips to help (but not solve 100%) this issue.

Try using your laptop connected to the AC adaptor... Do you see any improvement?

Is you do (like I did) two things to do:

-Device manager, open the device and on the tab Power Management, uncheck "Allow the computer to turn off the..."

-Control Panel, Power Option, either use the "High Performance" or modify the plan settings (in advance power settings)  so the wireless adaptor is not affected by the power management.

(these are for windows 7)

TroyKleffman

I was also having connectivity/speed issues with my W-8.1 L70 laptop.  However, I think I found a solution.  The driver version for my AR956X wireless adapter was 10.0.0.270.  That apparently was the driver that was loaded during pre-setup or final setup of the system.  I reverted back to version 10.0.0.263 (which was still on my computer) and have had no further issues.  In fact my surfing/downloading seems faster and more reliable than it ever has. If the 10.0.0.263 driver is not on your laptop, you can get it from the Toshiba Drivers section of the support web page.  For the record I also tried the latest driver version from Qualcomm (10.0.0.274), it behaved just like version 10.0.0.270.  In other words it didn't work very well!  

PopT

I see a lot of people, including me, have been having problems with the same thing.  It apparently has something to do with the drivers in Windows 8.1.  One person apparently fxed the problem by changing back to a Windows 7 driver for the Qualcomm.  But the Qualcomm only accomodates the 802.11n level (which is what you need)  in the ad hoc mode, which I gather is NOT what you want for Internet connection.  When I went to the Linksys Help (855-44-5947) the lady was very quick to recommend the new AE6000 adapter, which connects to the PC by a USB port and has "full" 802.11n capabilities.  I ordered it for $50 plus tax, but then I went to Amazon and found an earlier version of the same thing, used but certified, for about $20.  So I expect to cancel the order for the $50 model.

UKSteveC

Thank you TroyKleffman. I recently bought a Lenovo laptop and was having a problem with the Atheros AR956x. Every time I turned on the laptop, all other devices connected to wireless lost connections (as did the Lenovo). Your answer of installing the 10.0.0.263 has resolved the issue and saved me a lot of earache from my family!

Thanks again.  :smileyhappy:

DaGuzzy

I've also ben having problems with my Toshiba. I bought it two weeks ago and the internet is extremely slow on just my Toshiba Satellite. I've tried downloading previous updates on it and uninstalling the up to date drivers but it won't let me goback past 10.0.0.274. I also don't know how to reinstall the driver once I uninstall and delete it (I haven't done the deleting part yet but I read somewhere that that helps). Any suggestions? Or can anyone tell me how to install the 10.0.0.263 driver? Also, this Toshiba came with Wndows 8.1