kb04090
Accepted Solution

Poor Signal Reception Range ~ Realtek RTL8188CE wireless card

[ Edited ]

Brand new L670-BT2M13 with Realtek RTL8188CE wireless card. The range of the card it terrible. Computer has to be in the SAME ROOM with the Linksys/Cisco N-technology router. Older B-technology computers can be on separate floor 50' away.

Is there a way to tell the Realtek card to boost its signal? Advanced settings through device manager are:

802.11d ~ Disable

Beacon Interval ~ 100

Preamble Mode ~ Short & long

Roaming Sensitivity Level ~ High (I did change this myself)

TX Power Level ~ Auto

Wireless Mode ~ IEEE802.11b/g/n

Driver: Realtek 4/28/2010   1002.2.428.2010

OTHER Network Adapters contain:

Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller (which also has advanced, changeable properties ... many options so I didn't list here, but can if that is helpful)

Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter

As is, the wifi signal is essentially tethering the computer to the router, so it's like having this laptop hard-wired to the router.

###

Otherwise, we have an external Linksys/Cisco wife card (WUSB600N) that we could use on this laptop if the performance of the Realtek cannot be adjusted.

How does one turn off the Realtek internal card and tell the Satellite to use the external card? I did try installing the external card, but the computer did not seems to use it. It just said that the network (router signal) was not reachable through the Realtek card.

Thanks in advance,

Kristi

jwmorgan1964

Re: Poor Signal Reception Range ~ Realtek RTL8188CE wireless card

The problem is the Realtech Wireless LAN Network Adapter.  It is junk.  I have the same problem with a brand new laptop.  Plus, every time I tried to reset the connection or change the settings to see if I could make it better, I also would eventually get a blue screen.  Of course, no one's diagnostics show anything wrong because it works great in their shop.  Guys at Geek Squad wouldn't believe me.  Found others with the same problem on various forums, try www.tomshardware.com and look at the forum discussions.  Apparently Realtek won't address/admit the issue.  I have not tried talking to Toshiba yet, but I don't want another computer with this Realtek crap inside of it.  I like my Satellite 675 other than this.  Your driver is up to date, and you don't need a new router, so don't buy any of that.  The only thing I found that works you shouldn't have to do:  go in and uninstall the Realtek wireless adapter and its drivers.  Then, spend 30-50 on a good USB wireless adapter, and it works fine.  Note that I still ahd problems until I uninstalled the Realtech drivers - I couldn't just install the new card, it would give me a blue screen when the install CD started to run!  Wish me luck on my discussions with Toshiba!

kb04090

Does your computer have a Realtek Wlan Utility on it through which you can change the settings of the WLan Card? other than the settings in Device Manager, I don't see this listed under PROGRAMS or in control panel. Other posts I've read say to "open the Realtek Wlan Utility". Perhaps something was installed incorrectly on this computer?

I appreciate your response. I would really like to hear from someone from Toshiba.

pokie

I have a new L655d-5116 with a  Realtek RTL8188CE wireless card which would drop the wireless signal when on battery. A call to tech support told me to download and install the drivers from the support site for the Realtek RTL8191SE Wireless LAN (WLAN) Card. This fix did not work, I observed the same problem. After going to the Realtek web site and downloading the drivers soft ware for the RTL8188CE card the problem was solved.

kb04090

I had an email with RealTek tech support, and they told me to download the updated drivers from their site. Although the drivers heading said RTL8188CE the downloaded drivers had 8192 in the file name. The update did not work.

Called Toshiba tech support tonight. Agent told me to download RealTek drivers found on their site (support.toshiba.com go to DOWNLOADS and find your computer model #). Found mine and clicked selected LAN in the drop down menu to eliminate wrong drivers.

Downloaded the updated driver. Clicked the exe file to install it. Took the computer out of the room and the wifi signal stayed. YAY!! Hopefully all will still work well after computer restart, but don't know why it wouldn't.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Satellite L670-BT2N13 

Called Toshiba tech support tonight. Agent told me to download RealTek drivers found on their site (support.toshiba.com go to DOWNLOADS and find your computer model #).

Downloaded the updated driver. Clicked the exe file to install it. Took the computer out of the room and the wifi signal stayed. YAY!!

So reinstalling this driver appears to have fixed the problem?

Realtek Wireless LAN Driver

-Jerry
Brandon_D

My roommate purchased a purple Toshiba Satellite L645D-S4040 from Wal-Mart last weekend with the Realtek RTL8188CE card in it and had the same problem.

This is what I had to do:

1.  Go to the Realtek website and get the correct download by model number (RTL8188CE),

2.  Set a System Restore point in case things screw up and you need to go back,

3.  Uninstall the driver completely, deleting it by checking the delete option,

4.  Go into your downloads, open the 88ce_92ce. . . zip folder by double clicking it,

5.  Open up the next folder,

6.  Go down to Setup (Application) and click appropriately to run it,

7.  The wizard will run and install the driver,

8.  And when it is done you should be able to connect by wifi to the internet by selecting the appropriate network.

If things are not working after this you may have to replace the router with a b/g/n Wifi certified router that is Windows 7 compatible.

Hopefully this helps.  Good luck!

planetb

Thanks for the info. I was also running into the wireless disconnect issue when running on battery on my L655-S5157 that is only one week old. I was able to connect for about 10secs, and then I would get a yellow "!" down on my wireless signal. I then would need to disable and enable the wireless card to get the connection back. it would then run for about 10 - 15secs and do it all over again. Downloaded the 1005 driver from Realtek for the RTL8188CE and now its fine when running on battery and over wireless. Also seems like the 1005 driver is giving me a much better signal and battery life.

Drive info "1005.12.105.2011"

I didnt write down the orginal drive number, but believe it matched the Toshiba support sites version.

Ele
Ele

Thanks everyone for all your download advice of going to Realtek's website and downloading the software for the RTL8188CE wireless adapter. It worked!!!

I had owned another Toshiba Satellite laptop w/ a Realtek wireless adapter w/ no issues, so it was a major disappointment when I came across this problem with my newer laptop. 

I was having the same issue as some of you, where the wireless signal would continuously drop every few seconds when the laptop was running on battery power. I had originally changed the battery power level for the adapter from "Medium Power Saving" to "Maximum Performance" hoping that it would make a difference, but it didn't. I had also checked for the most recent update for the driver. It stated that it already had the most recent updates, so that was no use. After this, I was nearly resigned to purchasing an usb wireless adapter. I am so glad to have researched the issue and have found a solution on this forum. (I just wish that I took the time to do it 3 months ago when this laptop was purchased! It was a hassle to always have to use AC power. Nearly defeats the purpose of using a laptop.) This also saved me from calling tech support.

Thanks again!

planetb

Toshiba really needs to sticky this subject or update there patch database to include the latest driver from Realtek. I wonder how many laptops have been returned to the store because of this.

Occasional Advisor
TheWarrior

After a few months, toshiba already updated their Realtek drivers to 1005.12 (Realtek's website now is at 1005.15)

The drivers 1005.8 and above addressed this issue. However I think the reason for this is that you may have a router that does not support power-save mode. Microsoft explained it in this kb article.

kassana

This should be stickied! I bought a Toshiba C660 from the UK. Wireless has same problems as you guys. Wireless was disconnecting all the time. I even sent it to Techies and they didn't fix it! All they did was reinstall windows 7!

anyway, read this today(3 weeks after getting my laptop. Reinstalled the latest driver and it works now!!! 

PLEASE STICKY THIS TOPIC! 

Driver download here

kassana

As per planetb requests and mine, Argos in the UK are selling the same toshiba that I bought by the bucket load! Most of them are returned back due to the realtek wireless card as above!!!

AGAIN TOSHIBA, YOU REALLY NEED TO STICKY THIS OR INFORM YOUR RESELLERS/RETAILERS. I went 3 weeks without a laptop and even the PC repair guys couldn't figure out why the wireless wasn't working.

jmn19

And they still haven't done either. I bought my Toshiba laptop only 2 weeks ago and had the same problem. It had the 1002. driver. I just updated it to the 1005.19.  Why wouldn't Toshiba provide an automatic update for this???  And what's the point of having an "update driver" in the device manager if it doesn't find the update?

I had to chuckle at kassana's info about the techs doing nothing more than reinstalling Windows.  Seems to be tech's solution to any problem. lol  I've learned to search the forums for solutions rather than bring in the computer for "repairs". Thanks to all who posted this solution.

Smoyuc

[ Edited ]

Thank You, thank you, thank you. My 14 year old son bought a new Toshiba L650D (with his own money) from Canada Computers a week a go and we have been extremely frustrated with the wireless dropping every 30-40 seconds. We took it back to Canada Computers and it worked fine on their wireless, he would take it to a friend’s home and again it would NOT drop on their wireless. After reconfiguring our wireless network, over and over again, we were ready to take a hammer to the laptop. Luckily after countless searches I saw THIS post and guessed when he was at another location the power cord was probably plugged in.Luckily I was right, at home; with the laptop on AC it worked great. On battery it dropped. Just as this post stated. We went to the support website, support.toshiba,ca, not .com because our model was not on the .com. Downloaded the newest driver and it now works great. Now my question is why the *@#* do I have to go through this *%$* to resolve any issue that must be very common to this laptop. Why doesn’t Toshiba have the ability to correct an issue that a "45 year old with minimal computer knowledge" can fix? You over paid, money loving, stock watching ********. Keep hitting your sales targets and everyone is happy....except the buyers of your product. And the only reason I mention he paid for it with his own money is because he worked his butt of to make that money and chose to spend it ALL on your product. We were expecting a "plug and play" product; we ended up with a very stressful week. Thanks from both of us.  

[Moderator edit for language.]

kassana

Thanks Smoyuc. As per my previous 2 posts, TOSHIBA ARE YOU LISTENING!!!??? You probably have a thousand+ laptops that have the same problem, please look at Smoyuc post and my posts to rectify this!!!

sticky this damned thing or at least reply to this thread!

reneeob

hi everyone,

HERE IS THE SOLUTION:  http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=48&PFid=48&Level=5&Conn=4&DownT...

its probably too late for this but i had this issue for MONTHS after i moved out of a smaller apartment into a big house.  thought for MONTHS it was the internet service provider, the modem, the router, until we had the whole house and outside rewired and a new wireless ready modem installed and then a booster/amp. 

after some crafy incident isolation, i realized my compter (not the mac, not the ipad, not the hp--yuk) was the only one loosing it.  as long as i was on top of the modem/router, i was fine.  left the room sat on the step connectivity weakened.  walked down the stairs and sat on the bottom step connectivity went intermittent.  went into the kitchen, said it was connected by wouldn't download the page.  went outside, lost the connection alltogether.

updated the driver from toshiba.  nothing.  called tech.  1st tier walked me through the same exact thing.  so annoying.  she escalated me.  2nd tier acted knowledgable but did the same thing too.  super annoying.  he told me if it when i tested it after we got off the call, that i should call back and have them write me to zero.  pissed me off something terrible. 

NO MATTER WHAT ANYONE SAYS, DON'T LISTEN TO THAT RIDICULOUS SOLTION.  I KNOW ITS A PAIN BUT KEEP CALLING UNTIL YOU GET SOMEONE WHO KNOWS WHAT THEY'RE DOING.  NOT ALL HELPDESK SUPPORT IS CREATED EQUAL.  HANG UP AND CALL BACK. 

when i did, and got RYAN, id# 672366, and explained that i wouldn't be writing to zero over my dead or alive body, i asked him to please remote in to my computer and check all the configurations.  he did.  and reset a few things.  then went out to the realtek site and GOT THEIR DOWNLOAD PATCH FOR THIS.  

i'm working fine now...can actually go out into the yard behind the house and the modem/router is in the front.

good luck!  be sure to get the right OS and the right country CN or US and east or west coast

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=48&PFid=48&Level=5&Conn=4&DownT...

reneeob

P.S. ALWAYS USE THE COMPONENT (REALTEK, INTEL, ATHEROS ETC) MANUFACTURER FOR DRIVER UPDATES, NOT THE COMPUTER (TOSHIBA, DELL, HP/COMPAQ) VENDOR

Tomen8r1

I noticed your driver is dated 4/28/2010.  I have the driver dated the day before, which is 4/27/2010.  I have had no issues with my RealTek in my Qosmio X505 896. I can connect outside at any distance and I connect at 300 constantly. 

Drivers (version to version) can really mess up any windows hardware device.  I know this RealTek driver has worked flawlessly for 9 months and I've had no issues ... Try the driver from 04/27/2010, if applicable, and not the driver from 04/28/2010 ....

GordFree

True, the Realtek Wlan Nic Pci IEEE 802.11 bgn card isn't the greatest, it will sometimes refuse to connect to AP's.

There are two ways to slightly improve it's performance, I notice you have the older version of the driver "Driver: Realtek 4/28/2010   1002.2.428.2010".

I'm no genius, but since you selected "high" for roaming sensitivity option, it would indicate that it is more likely to drop in network connectivity depending on how often you move your laptop around.

I have a Tosh Satellite C650D with the same Realtek Wifi card, not the greatest model but it works for me, I also notice it has problems connecting to Cisco Linksys routers regardless how close they are.

You can go to realtek's site and download an updated driver that will upgrade the older driver from 4/28/2010   1002.2.428.2010    to   06/10/2011   1005.28.1006.2011. You can get it here:

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=21&PFid=48&Level=5&Conn=4&DownT...

You can uninstall the older driver through control panel but it will erase all of your wireless connections and saved wifi passwords, so you will need to back them up before continuing. You can also alternatively do this without uninstalling and re-typing in all those wifi pswds, through device manager by right clicking on the realtek nic driver and clicking "update driver software", select "browse computer for software", and select the appropriate folder containing the driver (there are several driver folders corresponding to windows versions), and voila. But I recommend the first option, just back up the wifi pswds. Hope this works. P.S.