TheSwede

No wireless light...FN+F8 not working...Satellite L450...No idea what to do! Please help!

My laptop is only 6 months old, but it's already having some major problems. This is the most annoying!

The orange light that indicates wireless internet comes on when the laptop is turned on, but then goes straight off again.

I've tried pressing the FN+F8 buttons to try and enable the wireless ability myself but that doesn't do anything - literally anything.

I've absolutely no idea what to do. I've tried to update my Network Driver but I already have the latest one... I need some serious help.

Please...anyone?

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: No wireless light...FN+F8 not working...Satellite L450...No idea what to do! Please help!

Which Satellite L450?

-Jerry
trishas_one

Re: No wireless light...FN+F8 not working...Satellite L450...No idea what to do! Please help!

I've got the same issue- I'm on a Sattelite T135 S1309. Any ideas?

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Satellite T135-S1309 

Open Device Manager (devmgmt.msc) and expand Network adapters. If you have the Realtek RTL8191SE Wireless LAN that problem is probably fixed by this new driver.

Realtek Wireless LAN Driver for Windows 7 (32/64)

-Jerry
enaam_naame

Hello

i just want to say that i have the same problem, and i have tried what u have said and i couldn't solve this problem, please if any one saw my message and have an idea that might help me please let me know 

and by the way my laptop its 2 months old and its satellite L450D

also i want to say that all the other F keys are working except the F8 i don't know why 

please try to help me 

thank you 

joy_debaron

I have a Satellite T115-S1100 and i have the same problem. My wireless shuts off and when I try to use the fn f8 key to turn it back on, there isn't even a utton for me to turn it back on. It just says wireless off. Help please. I can only turn on my wireless by restarting my laptop which is silly really. Any one with ideas on how to solve this issue? Thanks.

mike142sl

Halfed Solved

I have fallen victim to the Fn F8 problem after re installing Win 7 Home Premium on my L555-11k. This left me with no way of turning my Wireless on, despite checking I had the latest and correct LAN driver etc.

However, I have managed to find a part solution that gives me a way of turning wireless on and off.

From the Toshiba support page I selected my laptop model from the auto detect button, but you can also use the various drop down boxes.

This brings up a picture of, and details of your laptop with a tab for 'Downloads'

By clicking on that there is a set of search options, I just selected Win 7 x64 and pressed search which gave me 37 drivers etc over 3 pages.

On the last page was one called Toshiba Value Pack which I downloaded and installed.

After restarting, click on Start>All Programs>Toshiba>Utilities>Flash Card Settings.

A settings window appears which has a 'disable Fn keys box' which on mine was not checked but for some this might be the cure for the Fn buttons. However there is also a check box that allows the mouse to activate the flash cards. Tick this and by moving the mouse to the top of the screen the flash cards appear so that you can select them using the mouse.

I would still like to find a solution to the non working Fn key and someone has suggested uninstalling the keyboard driver in Device Manager and letting the system reinstall it - but I'm not that brave - yet.

Hope this helps someone, but the Fn key issue continues.

Mike

Super Advisor
miker643

[ Edited ]

OMG! Way too much piggy backing of problems here on this thread!

Assuming you have a US model, you can all find your model's downloads here:

Toshiba Downloads

For the instructions given on the following threads I'm going to post you MUST go to your specific model number's download page to find the specific drivers/utilities mentioned in those threads for your particular model and operating system version. Do NOT click on the links for the drivers/utilities in those threads and download them. But, you can click on the outside information links.

For everyone whose function 'Fn' + 'F8' keys are not working see here:

Function keys not working

If you get your wireless connection working that way great!  If not try the instructions here, starting at the Toshiba BIOS instructions:

Uninstall & Reinstall of Wireless Drivers & Config Free

Again, do NOT click on the links inside these threads and download those drivers/utilities.  You MUST use the drivers/utilities for your specific model number and operating system version.

Good luck to everyone.

Mike

guyhubbard

mikegordon

I have stumbled on your board from the UK because I have the same issue wih a Satellite 450 that required downgrading from Win 7 to XP (SP3). Don't ask why! All went reasonably well excpet for the wi-fi. I have identified the Realtek  RTK819 adapter, downloaded the driver, all appeared fine in the Device Manager, but no connectivity. The LAN works. Wi-fi is on in the BIOS and I did your hard reset.

The issue may be this particualr box has an AMD Sempron chip so Toshiba supply an Atheros Client Utility but that fails Fn f8 does not work so I reckon there is either something missing or broken.

Toshiba UK offer no help hence my post

Thanks

Mike

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

What is the complete model number and also the part number, Mike?

They might something like Satellite L450-18D and PSLY0E-03G019EN, respectively.

-Jerry
The-PCGYN

[ Edited ]

I got nuthin. Listened to every know-nothing 'tech' in the world pontificating with their one word answers. I hate computer technicians; bunch of lazy punks. I tried all this crap and it STILL will not work. Satellite Pro L450-EZ1542 1. complete system restore from factory discs 2. flashed bios to 1.3 3. removed toshiba value added, rebooted, reinstalled 4. changed wireless card to an intel - at least it saw the card this time, but still no FN-F8 option 5. removed then reinstalled flash cards - nothing 6. removed configfree, reinstalled - nothing it won't even see the realtek card. it will see my intel card, but it won't allow me to turn it on.

[mod edit to alter language.]

Peter

The-PCGYN, if you did a complete system recovery using the recovrey media and your problem isn't solved, it's time to contact support. Have you contacted support at all already? You didn't mention that in your post, but I suspect you have.

However, if using recovery media didn't help, I would highly suggest contacting support at (800) 457-7777.

- Peter
shun20

Re: No wireless light...FN+F8 not working..Satellite L450...No idea what to do! Please help!

I had the same problem with  the Toshiba L655d-5152 series   after everything not working  I downloaded the current driver for the device from the manufacturer  and  it worked ... You have to know which device you have  by that  I mean whether it  is from realtek , broadcom or other .  After installing the  driver  it will let you enable  wi fi by pressing fn+f8 . It looks like even if it shows  the right driver is installed in device manager  it may not  be the right version if you get it from Toshiba . I hope the same trick work for other series as well ... Good luck

pisico

Hello Miker!

After downloading the TVAP the flash cards and light began working again. But the wi-fi cannot connect.

I have a Toshiba L555 and Windows 7, 64 bits.

I have downloaded drivers for the Realtek Lan and wireless but to no avail.

In your arsenal of wisdom and knowledge is there anything you can help me with so that I can go back to normal as it was before?

Your advice worked wonders before. I hope that you can do it again this time.

Most appreciative of your help and efforts.

Pisico

Occasional Contributor
syedsarosh

i saw this forum and had the problem of the wifi light not comin up whn i press the combination keys.. Fn F8

i had observed earlier an update at toshiba service messages at my taskbar... so knowing nothing about the problem juz installed the BIOS update and it flashed my BIOS and installed version 2.7 or 2.9 from hte old 1.7

now its workign fine

drawfire

hey guys,

just joined this forum so i could say a word of thanks to those who have contributed to this thread.  i have a satelllite m640 intel 3 core laptop.  Last night I was watching a movie on my movie projector and decided the computer screen display was distracting so i dimmed the brightness using the Fn function.  In the process I must have accidentally bumped into the F8 key because from that point forward until about 11:00am today, my wireless internet was seemingly broken.  I had no idea that the Fn F8 keystroke disabled the wireless capability on a laptop.  Luckily, out of total boredom from not having internet, i found this forum and the Fn F8 trick worked.  It reactivated my wifi connection and network sharing.  While I was reading through the various posts, I noticed a lot of people saying that they have no way to know when their wifi is turned on or off so I thought since I was helped by this thread that I would try to help those who helped me.  One Fn shortcut that works great and I think would prove very helpful to everyone who doesn't know if their wifi is powered on, is to hold the windows key while hitting x. this will bring up the windows mobility center and will allow you to manager your wireless network. hope this is of help. 

Peter

Thank you for sharing, drawfire. That's a very useful utility and shortcut key combination!

- Peter
Occasional Contributor
SLM124

When I went to Intel.com, I found the Intel forum there too, one of the links, I found a page explaining a wireless card, its either good news or bad news, and I thought to some degree silly:

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-031167.htm

You can buy any card you like to put in your laptop, several ways to install, several companies make them, one type is installed without taking the notebook apart, the other is take the notebook apart.

Its silly you can only use what is installed within your notebook, yet you can buy another to upgrade an obsolete card, or bad wireless card, you will get a warning or refuse to switch on, because its like a cell phone, the notebook is locked to that wireless card, the wireless card is locked by way of the BIOS instruction in BIOS RAM . If you buy the right CPU or Memory or other part for your notebook, you would have better success using it than buying a wireless card to fix your notebook. You can buy one to put in a slot or USB, yet buy a genuine wireless card made for the connection, much like buying the right CPU or memory for your Computer, it will not be accepted until the lock is switched to the other wireless card.

If something goes wrong its either the wireless card went bad or was to hot were it is and stopped working until its cool again. Or it presumes your using a different wireless card - some notebooks warn you about that, therefore you know if the computer presumes its different or you put one in that is different.

There are other problems that happen with wireless cards I did not discuss. I noticed, No wireless light...FN+F8 not working is a symptom of different wireless card installed or computer presumes a different card is installed. I noticed someone explain how to get one to work again or install a different wireless card, yet tried to find it again and too difficult to find.

Occasional Contributor
SLM124

To explain a possibility, In the registry is a place :

0 = LED is ALWAYS OFF

1 = LED is ON and BLINKS during activity

2 = LED is ON (constantly)

For example in my notebook its :

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Control Set001\Control\Class{4D36E972-E325.....}\0011

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Control Set002\Control....

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Current Control Set\Control...

LEDMODE    REG_DWORD   0x00000001 (1) <--- Blinks