shasta28
Accepted Solution

No Wireless Light or Connectivity

Satellite A500-01V Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit

Hi there,

My WiFi will not work on my Satellite. Computer is about 3 months old and WiFi worked yesterday.  Switch is set to ON but light is not lit. Reset Bios to F9-F10, uninstalled Realtek RTL8191SE Wireless LAN 802.11n PCI-E NIC, re-installed, updated Realtek driver (from Toshiba website) and of course used FN F8 which says "Wireless Commuinication Disabled. Please Turn On The Wireless Communication Switch."

Installed a Toshiba-recommended BIOS update two days ago but WiFi was lit and working yesterday.

Wired LAN is working and WiFi adaptor is listed as Working Properly according to Windows.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions for troubleshooting this problem!

D

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: No Wireless Light or Connectivity

Satellite A500-01V (PSAR9C-01V002)

So you used this driver?

Realtek Wireless Network Driver for Windows 7 64bit, 2007.1.1002.2009, 5/13/2010

TC00241700C_Realtek_Wireless_Lan_2007.1.1002.2009.exe

Did you try jumping through these hoops (which apparently work for some)? With the battery and AC adapter removed, close the Power switch for half-a-minute. Then re-attach those, press the Power button to turn the computer on, and then immediately press the F2 key while the Toshiba logo is displayed. Press F9 to restore the BIOS default settings, press F10, and then select Yes (Exit Saving Changes). The computer will restart.

-Jerry
shasta28

Hi Jerry,

I downloaded the lastest ReatTek driver yesterday, but re-loaded from the link you provided just a few minutes ago. And I jumped thru the hoops of shutdown and Bios defaults as outlined, still no joy.  Windows detects the RealTek device and the Microsoft Virtual WiFi Mini-Port Adaptor and says both are working properly. Earlier today I did a System Restore to early July in case a Critical Update or two was messing things up.

Bios, as I mentioned, was updated to 1.70 and WiFi light and conectivity were lost the next day.

It seems to me that a bunch of us have the same or similar problem, all cropping up at close to the same time....

Thanks Jerry for looking into this, I really appreciate your help.

Dave

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I can think of only one more place to look, Dave.

Start > All Programs > Toshiba > Utilities > HWSetup 

See if there's a wireless setting on the LAN tab. (Please let us know what's there.)

-Jerry
shasta28

Okay, displayed in HW Setup on the LAN tab is :

This tab lets you set conditions for LAN

Wake-up on LAN

Enabled

Disabled (device is set to this one)

Built-in LAN

Enabled (device is set to this one too)

Disabled

Nothing about wireless in this tab or any of the others in HW Setup.

WHOA...hold the phone.  Light is now lit, in HW Setup, General Tab, I pressed  Default and the machine asked if I wanted to load the factory defaults, which I said I did. Rebooted and when I was typing the reply above, I paused to "try the button one more time". Orange light!

Thank you Jerry!!!!! Kudos.

Dave:smileyvery-happy:

Dave

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

in HW Setup, General Tab, I pressed  Default..

Happy to hear that, Dave!

Hmm. I thought we already did that when we pressed F9 in the BIOS.

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
bxpeters

Re: No Wireless Light or Connectivity; driver won't load / not seen in D.M.

Jerry:

How is it that I have seen at least 4 different solutions to this same type of issue, yet none of them will resolve this same problem for me???

My wireless adapter driver was updated on July 16th @ 8:30 PM by an auto-update. It installed the latest Realtek driver. Then the driver unloaded, the lite went out, and there was no network connection (LAN adapter works with cable, of course). I tried every recommended solution posted on the Toshiba Forum AND on the Microsoft Forum (System Restores, remove / replace battery, loading older driver, HW Setup/LAN tab; click "defaults", etc.). None of these solutions have worked for me.

I asked MS why a system reimage would work. It implies that my Windows 7 config is corrupt as it relates to the driver recognizing the wireless adapter hardware. I figured there should be a setting in MS-Config or in the Registery that could be modified as opposed to performing a complete system reimaging. They just scratched their heads when confronted with that logic.

So, can you think of anything else that might work for me?

Occasional Contributor
bxpeters

Jerry:

I found one more potential solution for people like myself whose wireles light still won't lite and whose wireless adapter still won't show (no matter what) in Device Manager. Microsoft has a utility that I have yet to see mentioned in any of the posted solutions, called Fix-It Diagnostic Troubleshooter. There's a "general purpose" utility as well as "problem-specific" versions of it.

It ran well on my Vista-64 desktop, but crashed with a "cannot run" error on my Toshiba L555-S7005 laptop. I'm thinking that My Probelm is unique (because that's how most of my problems are), however, this utility shlould work for everyone else who has yet to find a solution to a problem that is obviously inherent to Windows 7 working with WLAN adapters.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

[ Edited ]

Satellite L555D-S7005

Microsoft has a utility that I have yet to see mentioned in any of the posted solutions..

...whose wireless adapter still won't show (no matter what) in Device Manager.

Maybe this one?

Hardware devices not detected or not working

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
bxpeters

Although I'm still waiting for MS to respond to why I get an error when I try to run this app, I hope it works for everyone else.

Also, I received an "error Code 31" when I tried to manually load the new Realtek driver. So, now I've got a yellow / black exclamation mark sitting beside the (recommended new) Realtek driverin Device Manager. This is about as helpful as not having a driver recognized at all by Windows 7. Perhaps that error code 31 will point to something?

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)

Sometimes the driver will load properly after you boot into Safe Mode.

Start your computer in safe mode

-Jerry
mktran

I just had the same problem with a brand new A665-S6050.  I could not get any of the posted solutions to work.  I eventually rebooted into safe mode and fiddled with the wireless on/off sensor switch and the F8 key.  At some point the orange wireless light came back on and stayed on after rebooting into normal mode.  Note that things were working fine until we did our first Windows software update whilst shutting down.  I bouth the computer at Best Buy and called the Geek Squad...no help there. I also called Toshiba support and got no help there (but a promise of a call back later).  Hopefully this will help others.   Mike

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Satellite A665-S6050 

I just had the same problem with a brand new A665-S6050. 

I eventually rebooted into safe mode and fiddled with the wireless on/off sensor switch and the F8 key.  At some point the orange wireless light came back on and stayed on after rebooting into normal mode. 

Just fiddled around in Safe Mode, Mike? (I wonder what made you think of that.)

Thanks for the report.

-Jerry
HJS56

None of these solutions have worked for my wifi problem.  No light, Win 7, Intel Wifi 5100 AGN, Driver ver 13.1.1.1, Dev mgr shows "working properly".

Have restored to prev restore point as well (NG)............trouble shooter says turn on switch (already on).....have tried the restore to default as well.......

This is an upgrade from Vista to Win7, but the wifi was working at one point with Win 7