JS5893
Accepted Solution

NOT able to connect to wireless Internet - New Laptop

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I'm new, just bought a new laptop, it's a Toshiba Sattelite P305-S8904. I can NOT connect to the internet. It says in the specs that it has Wifi. Here below are some specs for my computer regarding internet, so someone can see what I have on it....and can tell me what I need to do to connect both at home and away (wireless). I need help for Dummies!  :womansad:   

Operating System: Windows Vista Premium (with free upgrade to Windows 7 when it becomes available in Oct.)

Should I upgrade to the Windows 7 or keep the Vista??

My specs on my computer concerning Internet (to know what I will need to do for internet connection)

Integrated LAN

Integrated Wireless LAN

FM Tuner with Antenna

RJ-45 Ethernet Connector

Intel® WiFi Link 5100AGN

Protocols: WIFI  802.11a, 802.11g, 802.11n

Data Transfer Rate:  10/100Mbps, NIC, Up to 300 Mbps

For my Desktop Computer, I have DSL, so on my laptop, when not using wireless, can I just plug my phone line into my Laptop and have DSL there too??

JS5893

Re: Can NOT connect to wireless internet -New Laptop Computer

Well I got my brand new laptop Toshiba Satellite P304-S8904 yesterday finally. And I cannot connect to the internet thru the wireless method. I have a linksys router. I spent 2 1/2 hours on the phone today with techs, half that time with a tech from my network administrator and the other half with linksys and I still DO NOT have a wireless connection.

It shows on the Network & Sharing page that the laptop is connected to the linksys router but there is no connection between the router and the internet. I ran diagnostics to find problem and one thing it said was that my computer had sent a ping but did not recieve one back, if that helps.

The tech guy from my network provider got to one point and we couldn't continue as it was a problem with the router and he told me to call linksys. He said to tell them that something (can't remember) is suppose to be dynamic but is static instead, does anyone know what he is talking about??? Cause when I talked over an hour with the tech from linksys, I told him 3 times what the guy from the network provider said about the dynamic / static thing......and on each 3 times, he never said a word.....I don't think he knew what it was either, otherwise it seems he would have said something on one of those times I told him about it.

Is there anyone out there that could give me some ideas of what to try to fix the connection problem??

:womansad:

LadySaffire

I've got the same issues, it'll show that the laptop is connected fine to the network, but NOT to the Internet. I am totally frustrated and thinking of getting rid of this laptop for an HP. I'll even make a trade with anybody...before I toss the crazy thing out of my bedroom window!

PS--I have a twinmos wireless router.

JS5893

Well I will admit that I am totally ignorant on issues concerning wifi and all the complicated issues of networking. However, for the amount of money we pay for these machines, you would think they would be "ready to go out of the box". And it all might be me.....maybe I don't have the router connected right, it's a couple of years old, maybe it's not anygood. It shouldn't be this complicated......there wasn't even any directions in the box telling me how to set up the wireless. But before I blame it all on the computer, I'm going to try to get another router. 

I do have another question......until I get the wirless worked out, can I plug a regular phone line in to my laptop to get onto the internet?? I have DSL on my phone line and I know the laptop has a built in ethernet, just wondering, didn't want to plug it in and blow it up.

Frequent Advisor
Pensacola_Tiger

I can't help with the wireless issue, but if our router has an Ethernet port (most of them do - check the router documentation) you should be able to connect the laptop Ethernet port to it and get online.  Connecting to the actual phone line requires you to use the laptop modem and have dialup service, which I doubt you have as part of the DSL package.  Your DSL provider ahould be able to help you if you have specific questions.

JS5893

Hi,

I found a solution to my problem!!!!  I bought a NEW router, was as simple as 1..2..3.. to hookup and now I'm able to hook up wireless to the internet!!  YEAH!

The new router I bought is a Belkin N+ Wireless Router. WORKS GREAT!!!

jessegac

Re: NOT able to connect to wireless Internet - New Laptop

Hold the reset button on the wireless router for 10 seconds.

HuddAlan

NOT able to connect to wireless Internet - Laptop

So because my laptop is out of warranty. And I am now getting the wireless network connectivity issues everyone else is.

I am posting this complaint. The laptop is 2 years old, has windows 7 ultimate and a new realtek wireless card.

I am using an Toshiba Satellite 675D - S7016 with AMD Turion II P520 Dual Core Processor with REALTEK 8191SE wireless card. THis card has been replaced. I have done the Fn - f8, the F9, f10 reset, I have uploaded the new drivers.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers etc. and still no connection.

What upsets me most is the lack of toshiba assistance once your warranty is out and the lack of them to just asist you through the problem. Apparently, hundreds of dollars will have to be spent to get this fixed that someone could probably walk me through it. If I sound pissed, upset, etc. I am. If you can help let me know.  DOes anyone know of a different wireless card that works with the AMD chip?