Occasional Contributor
fireflyva
Accepted Solution

Lost Wireless Network Adapter

I recently wiped my Toshiba P205D-S7802 hard drive clean after running into virus problems that couldn't be solved. Anyway, I wiped the hard drive clean wiping out everything including the OS, Vista. Luckily, I had a CD with XP Home Edition on it and loaded it up for the OS.

Unfortunately, when I try to set up the internet wirelessly, I get a message "Your computer does not have networking capability - your computer does not have a wireless network adapter and cannot connect to the internet."

I used to have wireless on this computer, and the wireless network is still working for all the other computers in the house. Where has my wireless adapter gone? Can I get it back?

Any help would be appreciated.

Regular Contributor
sabretooth

Re: Lost Wireless Network Adapter

You need to find the make and model of the internal wireless adapter and then go to that manufacturers web site and download the driver for it.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Satellite P205D-S7802 (PSPBLU-01Y009)

It's hard to locate sufficient Windows XP drivers for that part-number family.

I would restore the hard disk to its original out-of-the-box contents using Toshiba recovery media. If you don't have the recovery discs, get them from Toshiba.

Order Toshiba Recovery Media

Or get them from a third party.

Digitalmedia-labs.com

Recovery-Disks.com

MyRecoveryCDs.com

Recovery-CD.com

RestoreDisks.com

RestoreCD4u

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
fireflyva

Thanks for the help. After spending countless hours trying to locate the correct driver, I've decided to take your advice and order the recovery medium. I keep trying to locate the correct drivers and I thought I could, but downloading them and installing on my computer did not seem to do any good. I hope the recovery medium works. Again, thank you.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I hope the recovery medium works.

It usually does. Good luck!

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
fireflyva

Well, I installed the recovery CD from Toshiba which has gotten my computer back up and running. Thanks for all the help on that one. 

But now something else has popped up which is nothing in comparison to what I had been dealing with. Now it seems my computer does not recognize its own CD drive.

When I go to "My Computer" and open it up, it shows only the hard drive "C" but not the CD drive. The CD drive still works, I can hear it spinning and whirling, but I cannot open it up on screen, in "My Computer, " for example, and see what's on the disc.

I'm sure this is a simple fix but I cannot find an answer on line or in the help files. Can anyone out there point me in the right direction?

Thanks again.

Occasional Contributor
fireflyva

I went to Microsoft "FixIt" and found a tool I downloaded which took care of the problem with the CD drive being recognized by the computer. All is well now.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I went to Microsoft "FixIt" and found a tool I downloaded which took care of the problem with the CD drive being recognized by the computer.

Care to share?

Maybe this one?

Fix problems with CD or DVD drives that can’t read or write media

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
fireflyva

Yep...here's the link http://support.microsoft.com/mats/cd_dvd_drive_problems/

It worked for me.

Peter

This thread has been moved to another message board. Click the link to jump to its new location.