JP413

Laptop seems to be fine but can't connect to Internet wireless

Hello everyone. I'm having a problem with my laptop. The other day I wanted to go on the internet (wireless) and it wouldn't connect to the internet at all. It will stay as Local Only, and not Local and Internet. I've checked everything on the computer, options, etc. And everything seems to be working perfectly fine. I even went to option on the Network Center and computer says device is working fine. I have a Toshiba Satellite L305-S5955. Will anybody please help me out with this issue? Thanks.

Regards.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Laptop seems to be fine but can't connect to Internet wireless

Satellite L305-S5955 

Where are you trying to connect?

Does it work with an Ethernet cable?

Troubleshoot problems finding wireless networks

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
DrLove38

Do you have other computers connecting to the internet through your router ? Can you see a list of available networks ?

Do have security and if you do did you enter the code to allow access ?

Toshiba Satellite L675D-S7016 PSK3JU-01D001
Windows Home Premium 64Bit
antoni810

I got Tech support a few weeks ago and for the most part the below will work.  It may not continue to work but it lasted a week for me than the problem flared up again and the solution works again  if you repeat it. 

The tech walked me thru these steps: 

I  click START

2 ADMINISTRATIVE

3 COMPUTER MANAGMENT

4 DEVICE MANAGER

5 NETWORK ADAPTER 

Listed will be

1 Intel

2 microsoft

3 realtech 

She than had me open up the MICROSOFT  and delete it

Than the Intel and delete that 

Don't worry ...when you now reboot they will both be restored 

It appears that the Toshiba software for the wireless conflicts with the Microsoft and by doing the above the TOSHIBA software becomes dominate again ..BUT ...I have found that in time ...they will conflict again.

She told me that the Microsoft software is needed in some Microsoft programs but is not needed with your wireless network. 

Since the problem has re-occured a few times , what I did today was follow the above steps but this time I just opened up the MICROSOFT and DISABLED that adapter.  Rebooted (I think- i don't remember-can't hurt) and all is well.

I'll try this awhile and see. 
Just remember that you have DISABLED the Microsoft adapter and in the future you need to remember how to ABLE it if ever needed. 

I know it's a lot but it will get you going until Toshiba ever comes up with a fix  but seeing that it's been going on for a lot of years and a lots of models, they may never.   As with all computer companies, they all feel the less OFFICIALLY said about a problem THE BETTER.   They leave it to forums to do their work for them

JP413

Thank you for the answers. Jerry, I'm trying to connect to my home's network (I use a Belkin router) and yes, this laptop will work if I plug the Ethernet cable.

DrLove, yes, I do have two other laptops connecting and working properly with this network connection, and I do see other available networks.

Antoni, I tried doing that but I cannot find the Microsoft that you mention on the device manager I only see two Realtek (one is adapter and the other is Ethernet).

What I've found out is that the laptop WON'T connect to any wireless connection. Because I couldn't connect to a friend's house wireless connection. Could it be the wireless network that has been disconfigured by any chance? Thanks a lot.

Regards.

chessmonster

hey jp413, on your device manager you mentioned there are two things. is there any of those devices mention anything that says "wireless lan" ?

if you have something on there that says wireless lan try to reinstall the drivers for your device. you can do this by right clicking on the options that says wireless lan (if there is any) and then choose uninstall. if a box for confirmation would come up, just continue uninstalling the driver but if you would see a checkbox that says delete device driver, make sure it is unchecked. then restart your computer then after the computer has restarted give it sometime to reinstall the driver. what this usually do is it just reinstalls the driver. then go to network and sharing center and hit connect to a network then try to check if the network would be able to see any networks.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Won't hurt to reinstall the driver.

Realtek Wireless LAN Driver for Windows Vista (32/64bit) / XP

-Jerry
antoni810

Latest from Toshiba tech support

Follow my first posting ..it will work to restore your connectiviity but you might still be disconnected in a few hours/days.  The problem stems from the computer trying to save power  EVEN if you are hooked up by power cord.

this is what tech advised....

1 click START

2 CONTROL PANEL

3 HARDWARE AND SOUND: power opions:CHANGE BATTERY SETTINGS: balanced should be checked here:CHANGE     PLAN SETTINGS: wireless adapter settings:smileytongue:OWER SAVING MODE:smileysurprised:n battery (set to MAXIMUM PERFORMANCE)...PLUGGED IN(SET TO MAXIMUM PERFORMANCE)

Cleck APPLY  whenever applicable

reboot to make sure all is in place

let me know if this works for

JP413

Thank you once again for the answers. I tried uninstalling and installing the driver again and nothing, laptop still won't connect to the internet. Antoni, I tried that as well and nothing either. This issue is driving me nuts already, its been a week since I'm dealing with it. Thank you.

Regards.

Occasional Contributor
mfrank

[ Edited ]

Your wireless card might have acquired an IPV4 or IPV6 address accidentally.

To check these settings and assuming you're on Windows 7 (if you're not on Windows 7...you'll have to go to Control Panel and find "network connections") go to start(windows icon), type "Network Connections" in the search dialog box and press enter. A new window should appear and it will list your network connections via LAN line or your WIFI card. Right click on your WIFI card and click Properties.

In the list that appears...double click on "Internet Protocol Version 4". Make sure "Obtain an IP address Automatically" and "Obtain DNS Server AddressAutomatticaly" are selected/bulleted. Click ok.

Then in that same list...double click on "Internet Protocol Version 6". Make sure "Obtain an IPv6 Address Automatically" and "Obtain a DNS Server Address Automatically" are selected/bulleted. Click ok.

Disconnect and reconnect to your WLAN. Let me know if your settings for IPV4/IPV6 were already correct or not.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Let's try starting over.

Open Network and Sharing Center in Control Panel and click on Manage wireless networks.

Remove all the connections that you find there by right-clicking and clicking on Remove network.

-Jerry
JP413

Yes, I already tried that and it didn't work. Now my question is, if I reset/format the computer, will the problem go away? Since everything I'm doing is not working, it'll be better to format the laptop. Thanks.

Regards.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

if I reset/format the computer, will the problem go away?

If the problem doesn't go away after restoring the hard disk to its' original out-of-the-box contents using Toshiba recovery media, then you probably have a bad wireless card. (I'm assuming now that it used to work in this environment.)

-Jerry
gailosten

I have tried for hours to set up wifi on my laptop at home.  Everything seems fine and all messages say I am connected, but I can't get wifi.  One message says I have local access.  What is that.  could the wifi be broken in my computer.  Do I need a network adaptor.  My laptop is about 5 years old.

miapuffia

Just found a fix for me at least.

1. There is an icon in my task bar called Intel My WiFi Technology. Right click it and to to Open Intel My WiFi Utility.

2. I needed to press the WiFi hardware switch (Fn + F8 for me).

3. Go to Options and enable run at system startup.

I hope this works for some other people here too.