kristos77

Laptop not connecting to this wireless router

My laptop is satellite A205-S5804, running vista business. My router is Speedtouch ST585 Software Release: 6.2.29.2

I'm having problem with my laptop to connect to this wireless router. The ethernet connection is working fine and also the router configuration is ok because other laptops (HP model) are connecting wireless without any problem.
 - My laptop can detect and connect wirelessly on other networks,
 - Other laptops can detect and connect to my wireless network /my router without any problem,
 - The security is enabled, and the wireless switch on the laptop is ON. This wireless connection was working well for sometime then it started by sometimes dropping the connection and had to restart the computer to get the signal. Eventually the signal could not be detected at all.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers for my wireless card (Realtek RTL8187B Wireless 802.11g). I also tried reseting and reconfiguring the Speedtouch router. What is strange to me is only this laptop is having connection problem to this router. The router allocates addresses dynamically,  so i tried to give the laptop static address still it did not help. Please help.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Laptop not connecting to this wireless router

Satellite A205-S5804 

Other laptops can detect and connect to my wireless network /my router without any problem.

Do any of the other laptops run Windows Vista?

What happens when encryption is turned off?

Open Device Manager (devmgmt.msc), expand Network adapters, and double-click the Realtek wireless device. What does it say for Device status?

My laptop can detect and connect wirelessly on other networks,

Otherwise, it sure seems like the wireless card is the culprit.

-Jerry
kristos77

Do any of the other laptops run Windows Vista?

Yes the other laptops are running vista business as well.

What happens when encryption is turned off?

Open Device Manager (devmgmt.msc), expand Network adapters, and double-click the Realtek wireless device. What does it say for Device status?

The device manager shows the device is working properly. i also tried disabling all antivirus and firewall programs and on windows still no luck.

Maybe the wireless adapter has got problems, but then it is connecting to other networks without problem.

Kristos

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

This wireless connection was working well for sometime then it started by sometimes dropping the connection and had to restart the computer to get the signal. Eventually the signal could not be detected at all.

That's further evidence of failing hardware.

Mystery to me why it works on other networks. Maybe less noise?

-Jerry