Occasional Contributor
Khumphan

Keep getting disconnected from wireless router each time laptop is not plugged in

Hi,

I bought a Satellite A660 customized series (Windows 7 HP) I'm having issues with the internet connectivity. When plugged in, the wireless (WiFi) connects to wireless router automatically with no problems. If I unplug my laptop, however, I will constantly get disconnected (and then reconnected) automatically. I tried to update drivers, didn't help. Updated Windows, didn't help. Changed power saving options (WLAN Adapter settings to MAXIMUM Performance on battery) didn't help. I'm running out of options here. I have searched and searched for the answer to my problem, but everyone keeps directing me to troubleshooting guidelines that I have done before (change power plan setttings, update driver, etc.). So please help me know what's going on when my laptop is UNPLUGGED and not charging, why is the WiFi behaving this way?

I have owned a Toshiba Satellite laptop for 2 1/2 years and never had issues with WiFi, but now that I recently bought this new one, it's giving me a lot of headaches. Answers/comments/suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Sincerely,

K.A.

Super Advisor
miker643

Re: Keep getting disconnected from wireless router each time laptop is not plugged in

[ Edited ]

Click on 'Start - All Programs - Toshiba - Utilities - PC Diagnostic Tool' and look at the data on the 'Basic Information' page you first see. What is your Part Number?  Are you running the Windows 7 64bit or 32bit version? What BIOS version do you have? Under 'Network', what specific WiFi card do you have, and what version does it say you are running?

Does this happen on any WiFi hotspot, when your AC is unplugged? Or does this happen only on a specific WiFi hotspot, like at home?

Even armed with the correct info above, we'll probably ask you to repeat some things you've already done. But, if you're not willing to at least try the steps suggested, in the order you're asked to do them in, then perhaps this isn't the place for you to get help. Trobubleshooting Windows isn't that easy in any situation, doing it 'blind' over an Internet forum is especially tough.

Some things you'll probably be asked to do:

Make sure you have installed the latest BIOS update for your model, and that you have loaded and saved the BIOS Setup defaults, after you installed this update.

Make sure have loaded and are currently using the latest Toshiba supplied WiFi driver for your specific unit and WiFi card.

Makes sure you have carefully followed all the suggestions in the article below, especially Method 2:

You may experience connectivity issues... - KB928152

Make sure you have gone into Device Manger - Network adapters - {your WiFi device} - 'Power Management' tab and removed the check mark from 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power', and have saved this setting.

Mike

Occasional Contributor
Khumphan

Re: Keep getting disconnected from wireless router each time laptop is not plugged in

Model: Satellite A660, Part: PSAW3U-13Q03C

BIOS version: 1.90

Network: Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller ver. 7.20.503.2010

Realtek RTL8188CE Wireless LAN 802.11n PCI-E NIC version=1002.2.428.2.....

I didn't say I'm not willing to try proper steps to fix the problem, just saying I've tried them before but didn't work. That's all. Thank you for your willingness to help, I appreciate your time and effort in replying to this message. I hope it was not such a bother for you.

**Also, I might have found the problem. You mentioned at the end about "Power Management" on the device itself. I think it was automatically checked to "turn off to save power". I didn't have that before and was just wondering how to remove it. Thank you for the response.

Regular Advisor
gingmag

Go to realteks website and install the wireless driver from there.  http://218.210.127.131/  here's the link, click on downloads and search for your wireless driver. Don't reinstall from Toshiba's website.

Weiner dogs at large.
Super Advisor
miker643

Of course it's always difficult to decide what to do when you're getting conflicting advice. But, if you read numerous threads on this, and all the other forums here, you will find it mentioned again and again, that Toshiba laptops are very finicky about using only the Toshiba supplied and tweaked hardware drivers. So, generally speaking, you should always try to use the Toshiba supplied drivers. Otherwise, unexpected things can and do happen, like not being able to have 'maximum performance' of your WiFi adapter on battery power.

To enter Device Manager, click on 'Start' and type in   devmgmt.msc   and click on this file. Next, click on the arrow beside 'Network adapters' and double click on the Realtek WiFi device. Then click on the 'Power Management' tab to try to remove the check mark from 'Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power', and click 'OK'. Thoroughly test this setting to see if it resolves your problem.

If this does not help, I would recommend trying to reinstall the latest Toshiba supplied Realtek WiFi driver:

Realtek Wireless LAN Driver(v2.00.0013.L_100501)

If this won't install, follow the above directions to access the Realtek WiFi adapter in Device Manager, but this time click on the 'Driver' tab, click on the 'Uninstall' button and put the check mark on 'Delete the driver software for this device', click 'OK' to confirm uninstall, and 'OK' again to close the device. Then try to reinstall the above driver.

Mike

Regular Advisor
gingmag

[ Edited ]

Mike,

I have the same wireless lan model in my Toshiba and had the same problem. I downloaded from realteks website and it fixed the problem. I found the fix in a few forums. Toshiba's drivers are not always the answer since they tweak them and never update them again. My advice is from experience and use. I would highly recommend downloading the wireless driver from realtek, not from Toshiba's website if you want the problem fixed.

Weiner dogs at large.
Super Advisor
miker643

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the further information gingmag. So, if none of my suggestions above work, and you want to try the latest Realtek supplied driver:

Edit: my original link here does not appear to be stable, it now goes to another chipset driver. So, its perhaps safer to go to this page and select RTL8188CE:

Realtek's wireless adpater downloads

Mike

Regular Advisor
gingmag

[ Edited ]

Check this out from Toshiba's Forums.  http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/Networking-Wi-Fi/If-you-have-an-RTL8188CE-chipset-for-your-WiFi-card-re... and this one. http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/Networking-Wi-Fi/WiFi-conection-problem-Satellite-L675-S7048-drops-conn...

The power settings remain the same even after you install from realteks website. I would never hesitate using the manufacturers drivers to try to resolve issues.

Weiner dogs at large.
Occasional Contributor
vipergg

Use the realtek drivers , will fix a lot of issues that toshibas does not.

evans21

I am having the same issue with my new Windows 7 Satellite L655. However, mine works at most wifi locations, but not at home. What's up with that? I've updated the realtek driver and made sure the power management box is unchecked.  Any other things to try? Is there a setting on my router? If so, why this laptop but not our old one?