karaterulz247

I can't get the Wifi to work on my laptop anymore

I have a satellite series laptop. It's basically new. I got  the wifi working perfectly. One day, it randomly just stopped. The laptop still shows a connection in the tray, and a strong signal. I've tried resetting the router multiple times, but that didn't work. I also tried the troulbeshooting, but it didn't detect any problems. It keeps giving me "Error 137 (net::ERR_NAME_RESOLUTION_FAILED): Unknown Error." All the other wifi capable devices are working fine on the same network and router. Anything else I can try?  

Peter

Re: I can't get the Wifi to work on my laptop anymore

You're connected, but it simply doesn't work? It doesn't say "Limited connectivity" when you hover over the wireless icon? Is this an error message you're getting in Chrome? If so, try another browser to determine whether or not it's a problem with the application itself.

There are a few things you can try. Try clicking Start (or the orb in Windows 7) and searching for the "cmd" program. Right-click on it and select "Run as administrator." Type "ipconfig /release" and wait for it to finish. Next type "ipconfig /renew" and wait for that to finish as well. Close the window and see if the problem has been fixed.

If not, check your settings.

In Windows 7, right-click the wireless icon and select "Open Network and Sharing Center." Click "Change Adapter Settings" on the left. Right-click on the "Wireless Network Connection" and select "Properties." Select "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)." Click "Properties." Make sure these settings match those for your network. Most likely you'll want "Obtain an IP address automatically" and "Obtain DNS server address automatically" selected. If you make changes here, run the previous steps regarding "cmd" again.

If that's no help, try using System Restore to restore a previous restore point from before this became an issue.

System Restore - Windows 7

If you can't solve your issue and no one in the community can help, you can try contacting support to speak with a tech support agent at (800) 457-7777.

- Peter