FrankJP
Accepted Solution

How do I turn Wireless connectivity back on?

For years, I have used my Satillite P300 series laptop to browse the internet wirelessly at home and away without problems.

Tonight at home it had no wireless connectivity although other laptops easily had wireless connectivity.

Upon checking diagnostics, I was told that the wireless connectivity had to be turned on.  (I do not believe I ever turned it off!)

First I rebooted the laptop.  That didn't work.

I couldn't find an ON/OFF switch as such, so I hit <Fn><F8>.  That brought up a wireless icon with words underneath it to the effect that it was turned off and needed to be turned on.  But, How?  Holding <Fn> and repeatedly hitting  F8 did not work.  F8 by it self did not work.  <Fn><F8> held for 10 seconds did not work.

Is there any hardware switch I am missing?  Any other suggestions?

Thanks for trying to help.

Super Advisor
cbwilsha

Re: How do I turn Wireless connectivity back on?

Frank, I find the Flash Cards much easier to use this way.  I'm assuming you have Vista OS since the model P300 that I checked HERE had it; there are several and you didn't say which you had. Go to Start/Programs/Toshiba/Utilities/Settings for Flash Cards. Check the box that says "Allow the mouse to bring up the Flash Cards" and check where on the screen you want them to appear. Click Apply and OK.

Now, when you hover your mouse near the area of the screen you have chosen, the Flash Cards will appear. Click on F8 and then click on the WiFi button to toggle the Wireless On/Off.

If you post back to these Forums, please include the COMPLETE model info as in my examples below so we will have a little more than guesswork to go on.

C.B.

C.B.

Toshiba Sat. L675D-S7016 Win 8 PRO 64 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L775D-S7132 Win 7 PRO SP3 64 Bit which also has Virtual Machine with Win XP SP3---Toshiba Sat. L305-S5921 Win Vista SP2 32 Bit
FrankJP

Thank you for the prompt response.

First of all, I appologize for not being specific about the model number.  I hasd thought that my question was a generic one pertaining to many laptops.  Anyway, my machine is a Satellite P305D-S8995E.  It runs on the 64-bit  version of Vista Home Premium.

Anyway, I tried to follow your advice.  The Flash Card Settings had not allowed the mouse to bring up the flash cards.  I turned that on and clicked on "Apply".  I hovered the mouse in the chosen area and the "Flash Cards" appeared.  I clicked on the F8 card.  Up to there, all was OK. 

My problem is:  How do you "click on the WiFi Button"?  I put the cursor on the F8 Wireless Card and clicked with the left mouse button with no response.  Beneath the card, there are the words: "Wireless communication is Disabled.  Please turn on the Wireless Communication  switch."  What switch?  Is there a hardware switch?  To my knowledge I never turned off any hardware or software switch.   Clicking on the card with the left mouse button didn't work, nor double cliclking, nor shift-click, nor control-click, nor did the right mouse button.  Hitting the F8 key or the Function-F8 combo has no effect.  None of these actions clears the  "Wireless communication is Disabled.  Please turn on the Wireless Communication  switch" message.  

From the advice you gave, I feel I'm "almost there".  Please tell me what I should do next. 

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Satellite P305D-S8995E

I believe that model has a wireless switch on the front at the left side (in red here).

wirelessOffOn.jpg

-Jerry
FrankJP

WOW do you have great eyesight!

Before posting both of my messages, I had looked  all over the laptop for a switch and did not see any.

After reading this message, I looked at the area you pointed out, and did not see it.

Then, I aimed a flashlight beam at that spot, and there it was

At the  motor vehicle office, my eyesight was good enough that I legally drive without glasses.  But it is not good enough to check a laptop!

Thank you for the excellent help.

Super Advisor
cbwilsha

Thanks a lot, Jerry, for stepping in here. Glad you're back in business, Frank.

C.B.

C.B.

Toshiba Sat. L675D-S7016 Win 8 PRO 64 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L775D-S7132 Win 7 PRO SP3 64 Bit which also has Virtual Machine with Win XP SP3---Toshiba Sat. L305-S5921 Win Vista SP2 32 Bit