Occasional Contributor
Nisey

How do I setup wireless with laptop and printer?

Hi!  I need help. I am a first time laptop user. I bought a wireless router when I bought my new laptop last week. Right now I am using dialup internet with a setup date for satellite internet service 9/17. I have documents I need to print, but I am having difficulty figuring all this out.  I have a Belkin "G" router and a Brother brand printer I just bought.  So it's all new. In attempting to install the router with the laptop, I got an error message that it wasn't installed even though the router showed data exchange via flashing green light, which then went solid indicating a connection. Do I need to use a cable of any kind?  Do I need to install the printer first?  Shouldn't the router work without an internet connection?  The instructions that come with both router and printer all mention an ISP.  I want to use my printer now.  Any information will be helpful, or else I all the Geek Squad ($$$$).

Frequent Advisor
ChristopherC

Re: How do I setup wireless with laptop and printer?

Your quickest solution is to plug the printer into the notebook using a USB cable and follow the instructions for installing.  Depending on which model router, it may or may not have wireless capability.  If it does, then the router's documentation should give you step by stop insructions for setting it up but without an internet connection, you're not going to get much utility that you can't get by plugging the printer into the notebook.  It is possible to set up the router and configure it as a local network with no internet but with only a notebook and a printer, it's more trouble than it's worth.  Once you have your satellite ISP set up, then you can connect the router to the satellite modem and proceed to configure the system.  One thing, if the printer isn't network or wireless ready, then you'll still need to plug it into the notebook with USB.

Occasional Contributor
Nisey

Re: How do I setup wireless with laptop and printer?

The printer I have is wireless, but with the option of using USB cable.  The printer works on it's own (makes good copies). The router ( Wi-Fi Protected Setup) is connecting with the printer.  However, I have yet to use the router CD. I did the printer installation from the CD, following the "easy instructions" (that are not so easy). The printer icon on the taskbar shows the printer is offline.  When I check the printer status on the menu, it shows "ready".  I cannot print a document.  I did the recommended troubleshooting steps in the Brother User's Guide and what I read online.  I am not sure about the recommended steps:  "Check IP address and Boot Method (IP Config) of your

Brother machine;  Boot Method: STATIC setting;  Change setting from Brother Control Panel, choosing LAN or Network and TCP/IP menu".  What?  I am in over my head, no doubt.  Can someone translate?