may10

Ethernet connection doesn't work

Satellite L655-S5161X model No. PSK1WU-004004
Operating system on the computer is Widows 7   64 bit

I could use both ethernet connection and wireless for a while. But all of sudden it stopped connecting through ethernet. Wireless works fine.

I switched the same ethernet cable to another Windows PC for testing and found the cable worked fine. So I think the ethernet cable is not a problem but the network port has a problem.

Do you have any idea? Please help!

Thanks

Peter

Re: Ethernet connection doesn't work

Try reinstalling your LAN driver.

Atheros LAN Driver(v1.0.0.46; 12-06-2010; 6.79M)

- Peter
may10

Thank you for your reply.

I'm sorry but I'm so ignorant about computer. So would you please tell me how to reinstall LAN driver. Do I just click the link?

Thanks

Peter

First, click that link, and you'll be taken to the download page for the driver. It gives a brief summary, but don't worry about the content on that page if it's over your head. Just click the "Download Now" button and the driver will download. Then, run it and press the "Start" button.

- Peter
may10

Peter

Thank you for the reply. As your directions, I could download the driver. Then I pressed "Run" button  and then pressed "Start" button. I saw "Realtek icon'" on the Taskbar for a moment. However still ethernet doesn't work. Nothing seems to be changed.

So to confirm whether the driver is on my computer,  I went to Control panel>Device manager>Network adapters. But under Network adapters, I only see "Realtek RTL8188CE Wireless LAN 802.11n PCI-E NIC".

Is there any serious problem? I appreciate your patience.

Thanks

Occasional Contributor
sttargatee

did you scan for hardware chages in the device manager?  If their are new driver it will automatically install them

also look into your installed windows updates and delete microsoft.net framework 4 updates and delete affected drivers again and install them through the scan for hardware changes in device manager.

Peter

There is only that one entry under "Network adapters"? Is "Other devices" listed, and if so, what's under it?

- Peter
may10

Peter

Thank you for the replies. When I read your reply, I realized I don’t know computer terms which are needed for communication. I am so ignorant.

So today I contacted with a computer expert nearby and asked some computer terms. She checked and did all the things you asked me “scan for hardware changes in the device manager,  look into your installed windows updates and delete microsoft.net framework 4 updates and delete affected drivers again and install them through the scan for hardware changes in device manager” Still it doesn’t work.  There is only one: "Realtek RTL8188CE Wireless LAN 802.11n PCI-E NIC" under “Network adapters”.

So she suggested that we should return the system to its out-of-box. We installed ‘Recovery DVD’ which I made on the day I got the PC.  Even after restoring back to factory the software, the PC never saw the network card, only the wireless one. So she said the network card must be toast. This is a hardware issue.

So I will contact the repair center.

Thank you so much for trying to help me! I appreciate your patience.

Peter

You've done very well despite claiming to be ignorant! I think you made a good choice contacting your computer expert, and I agree with what she found.

I'd also like to add that it was fantastic that you made the recovery DVD! Many people skip that step, and it makes me happy to know that not everyone does!

Good luck with the repair!

- Peter