Powderboarder

DNS error everytime I try to connect to school internet via Wi-fi AND iastor.sys crash

Everytime I try to go online, I receive some error regarding DNS. Sometimes it says, "device could not communicate with DNS server", and several others that I can't remember right now. I can't seem to find a solution that works. My computer seems to be the only computer around that doesn't work at same time.

My computer is Satellite L655-S5060 with a fresh install of windows 7. My previous install crash with the iastor.sys. I had to reinstall twice because I got the same crash. I would like to know about that as well.

I have tried not to use windows because of all the problems that I have been getting.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: DNS error everytime I try to connect to school internet via Wi-fi AND iastor.sys crash

Satellite L655-S5060 

I receive some error regarding DNS..

What happens with an Ethernet connection?

..with a fresh install of windows 7. ... I had to reinstall twice

By install do you mean restore the hard disk to its original out-of-the-box contents using Toshiba recovery media?

..crash with the iastor.sys.

That's the Intel HDD driver.

Tell us more about the error. A blue screen? What is the STOP code?

-Jerry
Powderboarder

Re: DNS error everytime I try to connect to school internet via Wi-fi AND iastor.sys crash

[ Edited ]

I don't remember what the blue screen said. It never lasted very long. I completely wiped everything off the computer by installing the back up that I burned through the toshiba bulletin board when I first got the computer. The ethernet port isn't used much, but I never seem to get the errors when using the internet that way.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I completely wiped everything off the computer by installing the back up that I burned through the toshiba bulletin board when I first got the computer.

If things don't work right just after restoring the hard disk's contents to factory new and before making any changes, then you have a hardware (or possibly BIOS) problem.

I don't remember what the blue screen said.

What makes you suspicious of the iastor.sys driver?

-Jerry
Powderboarder

All I had time to read everytime it came up was iastor.sys. The last several times it happened it said the same thing. I was just wonder if there was a specific problem that I needed to address before it happens again. I have no doubt that it WILL happen again. The question is just when that next time will be.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Please attach some recent *.dmp files from this folder. (One is created for each blue screen.)

C:\Windows\Minidump

It's necessary to add the .txt extension to the file name to satisfy forum requirements.

-Jerry
Powderboarder

I erased the whole harddrive to reinstall it. So I no longer have the files. I reinstalled windows 7 and some of the programs that I used the most, like the anti virus.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I erased the whole harddrive to reinstall it. ... I reinstalled windows 7

I'm confused. You told me you restored the hard drive to its original out-of-the-box contents using Toshiba recovery media. So you did not install Windows 7. Right? It makes a big difference.

You do or don't have a problem now? A blue screen? If you get the DNS error now, please quote the message exactly on a separate text line.

-Jerry
Powderboarder

Here are two of the DNS errors that I have received in the last few days. There is one more that I get often, but hasn't appeared yet. The top is the one that appears the most.

Windows can't communicate with the device or resource (primary DNS server)

your computer appears to be correctly configured, but the device or resource(www.microsoft.com) is not responding.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Hard to help! You ignored my question.

I'm confused. You told me you restored the hard drive to its original out-of-the-box contents using Toshiba recovery media. So you did not install Windows 7. Right? It makes a big difference.

Windows can't communicate with the device or resource (primary DNS server)

Try flushing the DNS cache. Enter this at an elevated command prompt.

ipconfig /flushdns

-Jerry
Powderboarder

When I "reinstalled" windows 7. I used the toshiba disk that I made when I got the computer. Using that, it wiped out everything that was on the computer and replaced it with windows 7, where it said configuring windows for first use. I can only assume that, due to all of my operating systems being removed and the fact that it configed it for first use that it was a complete reinstallation of windows 7. The blue screen has yet to reappear, but seeing as it has happened twice already I believe that it will happen again. My original question was if there was a way to prevent this from happening.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I used the toshiba disk that I made when I got the computer.

That's the gold-standard test for hardware trouble. If you restore the hard disk to its original out-of-the-box contents using Toshiba recovery media and still have the trouble, there is no software fix.

Call Toshiba's tech support at 800-457-7777 or vista a service center.

Locate a Toshiba Service Center

Good luck!

-Jerry
Powderboarder

The dns problem isn't really resolved. I still get errors. Do I have to type that into the command promt every time?

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

So far as I know, your problem is with the hardware. That new machine should be under warranty.

-Jerry
carolynreais

Hello :smileyhappy:

i too have this problem with my Sat a665-5199X,  I have had it for a couple of weeks and have been on the forums numerous times to find the solution. Im a novice but with direction can do most things, even if I hve to do a google search to figure it out.  lol.  I have tried a few of the suggestions and none have fixed the problem.

BIOS 1.8, had to google to find out where to find that little tid bit. 

Anyway, Im up to my eyeballs with this issue. Who wants to deal with this mess on a daily basis.?!? I can still take this computer back however I love everything else about it. 

Has anyone found a solution?   Would you recommend returning computer and purcashing a different one? If so, which do you recommend?

Thanks for your time.