fredstuff

Cant find Wireless driver for satellite laptop

I just had to reinstall XP on my Satellite A105-S4001 laptop, all went fine except the wireless. I cant find the proper driver i guess. I have tried both the intel and athos listed for the laptop, neither work. I have also tried a few others. the wireless was working fine before i had to reinstall (only reinstall becasue it was so slow). device manager just shows a "network device"

Does anyone know how I can determine exactly which wireless i have and where I can find the proper driver?

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Cant find Wireless driver for satellite laptop

Satellite A105-S4001

I just had to reinstall XP..

You installed Windows XP?

Or you restored the hard disk to its original out-of-the-box contents using Toshiba recovery media?

In the former case, you need to be careful about the order of driver/utility installation. Otherwise, it's not unusual for the wireless not to work.

-Jerry
fredstuff

Yes, reformat and installed. Where do I find the proper order? I can do it again, unless there is a another solution.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Let's start from the beginning with a clean install of Windows XP (any edition).

Install the Intel chipset software followed by the Intel display driver prior to any other drivers. According to the spec, you have the Intel wireless.

Intel(R) 802.11a/b/g,b/g Driver V10.5.1.59/V9.0.4.17 & PROSet V10.5.0.1

Install the Common Modules before any other Toshiba utilities.

I have attached the suggested order of installation for the European equivalent of your model. (Some of the items on this list don't apply because it covers several similar models.)

-Jerry
fredstuff

Well I reformatted and reinstalled, did the Chipset, display then tries the wireless- Same as before.  I googled the device listed in device manager and it came up with a Broadcom wireless, not intel so I tried that driver and it installed and works fine EXCEPT for andything with security, if its an unsecure network all is good, if its a secure network of any kind then I get certificate errors which i also read could be authentifcation being on, but it isnt.

I'll remove the braodcom if thats causing the problem, but like i said, the intel would not install.

Any Ideas?

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I googled the device listed in device manager and it came up with a Broadcom wireless, not intel..

Wow. The spec is wrong? Exactly what does it say for the wireless under Network adapters in Device Manager? Can you provide a picture?

What is the hardware ID of the device? It's on the Properties screen.

works fine EXCEPT for andything with security, if its an unsecure network all is good, if its a secure network of any kind then I get certificate errors which i also read could be authentifcation being on, but it isnt.

Not sure what you mean. Web pages with https?

And give us a picture of a message.

-Jerry