Fpafu
Accepted Solution

Cannot search for wireless devices on NB200

Hello.

I have recently acquired a Toshiba Mini Notebook NB200 (Windows XP, 32 bit) and I have problems with searching for Wireless networks. The first time I used it, it automatically found a Wi network and I was able to use it without problems. But after that it stopped searching for WiFi devices and, even if my wireless network device is on (I turned it on using the FN+F8 combination and the wireless led is orange), I still get this error every time I use the ConfigFree:

As far as I've understood, I need to download and install a certain driver? But since my Internet connection worked properly that first time, is it still necessary for me to do that?

Please excuse my lack of knowledge. I'm new to these types of latops.

Fpafu

Re: Cannot search for wireless devices on NB200

[ Edited ]

I apologize for double posting, but do I need to add any additional information, or have I posted in the wrong section? Please tell me if so. I'm growing a tad desperate here, as I'll be moving to another city soon and I'm really going to need the Internet there. 

Edit. I've run a PC diagnosis and here is some extra info.

http://i54.tinypic.com/2zegjg3.png

I've also used the Troubleshooter and everything turned out fine. It's just that my Notebook won't find any wireless networks. 

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

[ Edited ]

Toshiba NB200-10P (PLL25E-00401KG3)

Thanks for the model designation. So you have 802.11b/g (no N) there with Windows XP.

Instead of using the Toshiba client, try the Windows Zero Configuration service that's built into Windows XP. Many prefer it. This applies to Service Pack 3 also.

How to troubleshoot wireless network connections in Windows XP Service Pack 2

Do you have the User's Manual for that machine?

-Jerry
Fpafu

I have tried everything listed on that support page and everything is functioning accordingly - the Zero Configuration service is running, the wireless network adapter is working properly and, basically whenever I check any of its components, I get the same message: 'This device is working properly'. However, when I open the Network Connections folder, the wireless network adapter is not there (and, if I recall correctly, it has never been). 

If I want to search for a wireless network I can't, because I keep getting the 'Please turn on the wireless network device' pop-up window. And yes, I have the User's Manual, which is not helping at all. According to it, if all devices are working fine -like in my case- then it should be no problem and I should be able to locate nearby wireless connections, which I can't.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

'Please turn on the wireless network device'

Can't hurt to reinstall the driver.

Atheros Wireless LAN Adapter for XP, 9.2.0.419.0, 05/25/11

atheros-wlan-xp-9204190.zip

-Jerry
Fpafu

You, kind Sir, just helped me a great deal. Thank you very much, that solved the issue. And thank you for the patience.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Happy to learn that! You're welcome.

-Jerry
MPollard

Hi Jerry, I seem to have the same problem. but on my NB505-N508GN  netbook. All the properties I keep checking say they are workign properly. I'm trying to network it with my iPhone with tethering capability that does connect to my other laptop, but on this  Toshiba netbook that I bought to tether it to  I can't find anywhere that shows its bluetooth capabilitiy,  and its does not identify the iPhone via bluetooth.  When I connect it with USB, it does identify it as a device, but doesn't see it as an available network.

how do I find the right driver to uninstall and reinstall?

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

mini notebook NB505-N508GN 

I can't find anywhere that shows its bluetooth capabilitiy,  and its does not identify the iPhone via bluetooth. 

There is no Bluetooth hardware in that laptop.

But you don't use that for tethering. You use an ad-hoc wireless connection. Google it.

-Jerry
MPollard

Thanks Jerry,  I googled it and it describes what an ad hoc wireless network is, but I'm totally lost as to how to set it up,

I did succeed in using a USB port to connect my iPhone to my netbook.  I guess that seems to work. Is there any benefit to me trying to set up a wireless ad hoc network?

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I did succeed in using a USB port to connect my iPhone to my netbook. 

USB is fine.

iPhone Internet Tethering - How To Share Internet With Your Computer/Laptop

-Jerry
MPollard

OK, thanks.