mrtlaf

Cannot enable Wireless with FN/F8 combination key

Just started up my Satelitte A505-S6965 after not using it for a couple of weeks and got a notification from Toshiba to update BIOS from 1.4 to 1.6.  So I did and now I cannot get Wireless enabled.  Used the provided tutorial but when pressing the FN/F8 combination to turn wireless on/off, I get no response.  The other FN combinations work as described.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Mike

Occasional Contributor
jackygregor

Cannot enable Wireless with FN/F8 combination key

Hi Good Day,

Kindly download and reinstall "Intel Wireless LAN Driver for Windows (64bit)"  under downloads, all categories not selecting OS and then selecting wifi.. Hope that works.:manhappy:

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Cannot enable Wireless with FN/F8 combination key

Satellite A505-S6965 

Mike, if Jacky's suggestion of reinstalling this driver..

Intel Wireless LAN Driver for Windows (64bit)

..doesn't fix things, then check the BIOS for an enable/disable switch for wireless.

You can reach it from within Windows. See the section TOSHIBA Hardware Setup on p. 163 of the User's Guide. Look on the LAN tab.

Satellite A500 Series User's Guide

-Jerry
gbabe

Re: Cannot enable Wireless with FAN/F8 combination key

Are all satellite 505's 64 bit or 32??  How can I tell?  Sorry, I'm a  newbie and love this site   I'm having problems connecting to internet too.  Would extremely appreciate any help.  Thanks

SHIMA

_go to START then open ALL PROGRAMS and under TOSHIBA go to UTILITIES and then press RESTART FLASH CARDS_

this is it_this will solve the problem_

best regards

Wray

Have tried every solution and had Toshia support working remotlely in my  two month old A665 for 2 hours last week and still no resolution, which I guess means I will have to send the unit in and wait for no telling how long for a fix as I have depot service only.

jetli34

I also have a A665 laptop as well and had the same problem (enabling wireless) after removing the laptop battery for troubleshooting a different issue. I found that the wireless icon above the F8 button is actually the button to enable wireless. Once you press on it, you'll see the wireless LED light come on in the front right side of your laptop. Hope you'll find the same on your model.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I found that the wireless icon above the F8 button is actually the button to enable wireless.

Satellite A665- "Wireless Communication is Disabled. Please Turn On the Wireless Communication Switc...

-Jerry
dlgarcia5

I just read from another post (and it worked) what you can try:

http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/Networking-Wi-Fi/Wifi-hardware-switch-off/m-p/227336#M12006

"Go to the folder on your c drive "Program files\Toshiba\TBS. Then scroll down the list of program files and double click on the file named TBSWireless.exe and hey presto, the wireless communication will turn on (Amber Light will come on on the front bottom right panel of the computer). From now on the FN-F8 Key combination will turn it on and off."

'Hope this works for you, too!

CrissTorr

It is a miracle that I found your answer!

It works for me A660-12Q Satellite. I was searching for days.

Thanks.

xuemei12

[ Edited ]
Want the notebook battery longevity, there must be a good start, a new laptop batteries at the first boot with 3% of the general power, this time to not use external power, the battery inside the power exhausted, until the shutdown, then use the external power supply charge. Even after the exhaustion of the battery charge, charging time must be within 14 hours, repeated three times, in order to fully activate the battery, in order to lay a good foundation for future use.

[moderator edit to remove Terms of Service violation]
getbackjack

I am amazed at the amount of posts regarding the wireless problem with toshiba satellites. What is this? An epidemic?  I have an older satellite, 1135 with the same problem. No amount of help from the forums has cured my problem.

I have even removed the wireless cards and with help from a friend a the local computer store, I have tried several different cards. Installed the drivers, device manager was happy, baloon pops up, "no wireless networks are available." The computer is 6 feet from the wireless router. No action from the fn & f8 keys. No light on at the switch on the side. Makes me wonder why people continue to by toshiba laptops. This laptop is destined for a grandchild who

will enjoy having it. My conclusion, get a usb wireless adapter. My own laptop is an IBM Thinkpad. Go figure. Never  had a problem with it. No stupid switch to turn on the wifi. It just works. 

paulpo

i have a toshiba satellite c655d-s5300 .

i can't turn on wifi with fn/f8 .. 

what should i do ??

paulpo

i have a toshiba satellite c655d-s5300.

when i earlier pressed fn it showed a black bar at the top of the screen with all the shortcuts but now it don't show 

wat should i do??