victoriachow

Re: Can't turn on wireless capability!

So sorry eveyone, I had this problem and posted earlier and I don't have good news. Tried all of the listed solutions, redownloaded the FN key software, reset my computer to a previous date's settings, ect. ect. I ended up having to take it in to a shop and pay to get it fixed, in my case it was a core software problem that was only solved when the reinstalled the software (not sure exactly for what). It took about three days to digure out... 

afdops

Guess what? There is a switch! What I thought were indicator lights above the keys on the keyboard, are actually buttons. The lighted wireless symbol is an on/off button for your wireless. I found this out after calling Toshiba Tech Support, which my Wife says I should have done in the first place. Hope this helps others.

JeriT

I really don't know why Toshiba isn't more clear about the buttons at the top, the I/O panel. I have a P770 and for a while I had that line all lit up, that's all I thought they were for, so you could see them better. Then I had troubles getting Wi-fi. And all along they were always asking for me to turn the button in the lower right corner on. There was no button!!! And I never made the connection between tapping the Wireless icon to turn Wireless on or off until I finally talked to Toshiba, even if she wasn't a native English speaker she was 100% helpful.

Super Advisor
cbwilsha

Reading your User's Guide, page 116 would have explained that to you. It would be worth your while to read the whole thing. You'll find it at Start/All Programs/My Toshiba/User's Guide.

C.B.

Toshiba Sat. L675D-S7016 Win 8 PRO 64 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L775D-S7132 Win 7 PRO SP3 64 Bit which also has Virtual Machine with Win XP SP3---Toshiba Sat. L305-S5921 Win Vista SP2 32 Bit
afdops

You are correct (almost). It is on page 111 of my manual, and it refers to the row of buttons as "Media control buttons". Doesn't really sound like wireless controls, so I skipped right past it the first time. Had I read all 250 pages in detail I would have found it. I will definitely try that first next time.

Donsk

OK I've the same problem:  A satellite L655D-S5110.  After flashing the bios to 2.0 received message that installation of wifi & network drivers failed.  Result to WiFi.  2 excruciating interchanges with so-called customer support achieved nada (is there an email address to evaluate them?).  So I've now reset the computer (remove battery, &c) still no wifi.  Tried to install tc000290100s.exe (TVAP) but it tries to reinstall Rosetta Stone even if I clear the temp directory or install from a different directory.

Now What?  

Super Advisor
cbwilsha

Go back to BIOS v1.70 or 1.50. Go to the following link, click on the + sign next to the 2.0 bios entry and then click on 1.7 or 1.5. This has worked for lots of others in the same boat.

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/modelContent.jsp?ct=DL&os=&category=&moid=275997...

C.B.

Toshiba Sat. L675D-S7016 Win 8 PRO 64 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L775D-S7132 Win 7 PRO SP3 64 Bit which also has Virtual Machine with Win XP SP3---Toshiba Sat. L305-S5921 Win Vista SP2 32 Bit
Donsk

Tried that ... didn't work ... reflashed to 2.0.  What's the date on your RealTek WiFi driver?

Don

Super Advisor
cbwilsha

Mine is 4/27/10 but I have a L675D.

C.B.

Donsk

Well I got over the install.exe problem by renaming all other install.exes.  Bad programming that Toshiba does set first directory in search path as working directory, but not asbad aas not testing that new biewrs.oses have all the hooks for device drivers.

Donsk

I'm running RealTek RTL8188CE dated 7/12/11

Don

laverda

FIXED YEA!

None of the things suggested above or in some of the other threads about this have worked. I have studied them at length. The only think I did not do is reinstall from scratch. I was getting ready to do just that, but I went into safe mode for something else. I don't even remember what. While in safe mode, just for the heck of it, I hit the FN key, but it did nothing. Next I tried the wireless button above the key board. Did I see the light come one for a second? Hit it again and the wireless light came on. YEA!!!!!!!!!

While I was in safe mode, I ran a virus check again and it turned up "Corrupted executable file Object" that was moved to Virus Vault. I have no idea if it had anything to do with it. Running a complete system virus check was one of the first things I did when I had a problem, but it found nothing then.

I had also updated the Bios to 1.80 about a week before the problem appeared. I had up dated the Bios again to 1.90 two days before getting it working without any changes to the wireless.

Wish I could tell you exactly how or what fixed the problem. Was it as simple as just needing to start in Safe Mode and turn it on? That seems to simple. Any way I hope this may help someone else. What a Pain!!! Other wise I love my laptop.

Steve  M645-S4070

Thanks everyone!

NyteStorm

Greetings, I have a C655-s5056 and I have the exact same problem with the wireless not working at all... Device mgr does not list it, nothing in Bios for it, did reset, re-downliaded files as listed in this forum, looked all over for a switch... and nothing.  The icon pops up for a brief second when loading the desktop then cuts off.  I am all out of options as this laptop does not have a partition to reload windows.  Please help  (Win7 Home Prem x64)

Deano1970

Hi,

I have the same problem described by several others here:

Wireless was working fine until a month or so ago.  No wireless network adaptor in Device Manager. All flash cards present except F8.  I have restored back to factory settings, done the 30 second battery reset, installed the updated WLAN driver and verified that wireless services are on in the setup utility.  Still no luck.  I was convinced that it was a hardware issue, but find it strange that so many people are experiencing the same issues.

L505-S5990

No idea which WLAN card I have - i guess I could open it up and check?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you!

JERV

Thanks Steve!  That fixed my problem!  So all I did was go into safe mode and pushed the wireless connect button at the top of the keyboard and the orange wireless light came on!  I then restarted the computer and it stayed on and connected to my wireless network with no problems!  Thanks Again!

jturnism

Hello, I have a TOSHIBA Satellite L555D - S7930 And I have the same problem, when I press FN+F8 Nothing Happens. I was playing around one day and I pressed And held FN And At The Top It Showed all the buttons you could press and what they will do, but it did not show F8, and I reset the flash cards and did it again and it still did not work!

PLEASE HELP ME!

Ps: Its a 32-bit operating system.

Valwallace

Help!!!! i have the same trouble mi laptop is satellite m645 sp4131l, system 64 bits

Henrik

Sattelite L645D-S4025 - Windows 7 HE 64 bit

I have a problem with my WLAN. I have tried switching it on in the flash card-menu, but even when the flash cards show it to be switched on, the light indicator is out and no networks can be found.

Realtek RTL8191SE is shown in the device manager and appears to be working - no problems are detected by Windows. I have tried reinstalling the driver repeatedly, and have tried windows recovery from a time (I am pretty sure) it was working.

After reading the first couple of pages of this thread, I have tried switching back on the flash cards, a basic system reset, and Microsoft Fix-it unsuccesfully.

I think the problem started after a Windows update.

Thank you,

Henrik

ITSRepair

[ Edited ]

Bios:  1.40 (Most current AFAIK)

Satellite 5205-S705

Windows XP SP3

Wireless networks not found.  Wireless card is present in Device manager

I need some help please.

I have a Toshiba Satellite 5205-S705 (older laptop).  It had a corrupt operating system so I did a fresh install of Windows XP SP3 Professional.  I installed all the drivers from the Toshiba website and let windows install all updates.  Currently Device manager is clear and there are no yellow/red items.

My issue is the wireless card is not able to see or connect to any wireless networks. 

Things I have tried.

Installed drivers again

Rolled back drivers

Turned switch on front left of computer from off to on (several times)

Uninstalled the device in device manager

Removed and reseated wireless card

Rebooted computer after each of the above remedies

I am starting to think the wireless card itself is bad.  I did some Google searching and someone mentioned that the Professional edition of Win XP will not work with the Wireless drivers unless there is a patch applied.  I cannot find this patch anywhere.

The switch is in the ON position and I have an orange light.  The wireless icon in the taskbar is there and when i click on it, it just says no wireless networks are in range.  I know for a fact there are 10+ wireless networks in range.

Is there something I am missing or is the wireless card bad? 

Thanks in advance

dids114

Hi, I hope you can help me as this problem is driving me mad. My LAN works fine when I plug into my work network and I can access the Internet fine. However my wireless connection does not work at all at home or work although it used to only last week.
What seems to have happened is the fn F8 button now only has a Bluetooth icon on it and no wireless device. In network settings there is only a LAN icon and no wireless. I know wireless is available as I am currently using my iPad with it.
I have tried to reset the flashcards but this didn't work. An ideas?
Thanks