drdongray

Re: Can't turn on wireless capability!

So I tried finding the Flash Card Utility in the Uninstall program in the Control Panel, found it, tried to delete it, but it just sat there.  Rebooted my computer, and again it wouldn't let me delete it.  Tried rebooting a second time, and still just the same thing.  I'm not sure how I can delete it.  I do, for some unknown reason, have my Wi Fi back up and working, but I still cannot bring up my flash cards, more specifically now to turn on and off my mouse pad.  As I type, my palm hits the mouse pad and I go somewhere up the page typing in the middle of sentences above.  Would love to be able to turn it off while typing a letter etc.  I still cannot install the 2nd item you sent me, as mentioned above.  Thanks again for trying to help.  You must get a thousand or more of these requests.  One last question, I did buy this from Best Buy, and bought the extended warranty, 3 or 4 years.  Should I take it in and have them look at it??? Just a thought.

Don

Super Advisor
miker643

[ Edited ]

Dr. Don

You could try starting in Windows safe mode. Then see if you can uninstall both the TVAP again and the flash card utility in safe mode. If you can successfully uninstall both programs in safe mode, then restart Windows normally and reinstall first the TVAP and then the flash card utility.

Start your computer in safe mode

If this won't work, then I believe that your system's problems are related to your upgrade. It would then seem that your upgraded installation of Windows 7 is messed up. As such, if it is indeed a software problem, your warranty from Best Buy is not going to cover fixing software issues.

So, I would suggest starting from scratch. Reinstall Windows 7 carefully following all these directions, and as you are probably doing a 'clean' or custom install, use this utility.

How To Manually Upgrade from Vista to Windows 7 - Qosmio X305

Toshiba Software Installer for Windows 7

Toshiba laptops are very finicky about using only Toshiba supplied hardware drivers, that's why I recommend setting Windows Update to only allow manual updates. As Windows is being setup it will ask 'Do You want to allow automatic Windows Updates', answer 'No, I will decide later'. After Windows is fully setup Click 'Start - All Programs -Windows Update', then click on 'Change settings' on the menu at left, under 'Important updates' click on the drop down menu at right, select 'Never check for updates (not recommended)', and then click 'OK'. You should regularly check for updates though.

Good luck.

Mike

Super Advisor
miker643

My-computer

Click 'Start -> Control Panel -> Programs and Features', and uninstall the Realtek WLAN Driver. Then, download and double click to install this file, and reboot your computer after the installation.

Realtek Wireless LAN Driver for Windows 7 (32/64)

Please let us know what happens. Good luck.

Mike

My-computer

Hello Mike,

Thanks for your help. I responded to your message two days ago and still expecting response from you:

I followed the directions you outlined, did the system reset as you described but still, there is no wiFi access. When I went back to Network Adapters, there was no WiFi listed.

I checked the programs installed through control panel and found that the Realtek WLAN Driver was installed on 10/23/2009, which is about the time I purchased the computer, and which means that when I installed the TVAP, the WLAN driver was not uptated. I am thinking, I should un-install the Realtek WLAN Driver (through add/remove program) that was previously installed and then install the TVAP again; do you think this will work? or will it complicate issues with the WiFi? Please advice!

Thanks,

Satellite L505-S5988

Super Advisor
miker643

My-computer

The above is a repeat of your last message. Follow the steps in my reply to you above, this reply.  Then let us know what happens with that.

Good luck.

Mike

eltamao

I have a Satellite A665-S6092 and I have the same problem, suddenly no WIFI led light or signal ... when I use the FN +F8 appears "..Wireless communication is disable. Please turn on the wireless switch" ..so I touch de wifi button on the front and open Windows Media Center...I tried the others buttons and any of them turn on the wifi...

I really need your help ..trying to figure out how to turn on the wifi device without the button on the front..so then I can do the Fn+F8.

Thanks in advance

Ralph

Super Advisor
miker643

Satellite A665-S6092

Ralph

Let's just try a basic system reset and see if this helps bring your WiFi back.  Power off your system, unplug everything including the AC, remove the battery, press and hold down the power on button for 30 seconds, replace battery and AC, power on, at the Toshiba logo press the 'F2' key to enter BIOS Setup, in setup press 'F9' to load setup defaults, press 'F10' to save and exit, then try to boot into Windows again.

Then go into Device Manager, in there left click on the arrow 'Network adapters' and see if a WiFi or wireless device shows there. Then see if you can enable it with 'Fn+F8' and if you can make a connection.

If this doesn't work try this Microsoft Fix-It:

Hardware devices are not working or are not detected in Windows

Mike

drdongray

Hey Mike,

Yes you were right, toshiba laptops are very touchy.  I did re-install windows 7, and followed your suggestions, and everything seems to be working just fine.  I think I spent more time trying to fix the condition, rather than starting all over, which took half the time.

Thank you so much.

Don

Super Advisor
miker643

Dr. Don

You're very welcome. Happy to hear the reinstall worked. Spending more than 2-3 hours is rarely worth it. In that case, you're usually better off starting from scratch. But, for some it is a daunting task they wish to avoid at all costs. This is often a mistake.

Thanks for letting us know.

Mike

drdongray

Hey Mike,

I did have one other question.  You had mentioned that I should check for "Important" updates.  Not quite sure how to tell what is important and what is not.  Well, actually, where to check for them.  I did set my computer to "Never" check for them, or never allow updates, or something like that.

Thanks,

Don

Super Advisor
miker643

[ Edited ]

Don

Trying to figure out what Windows Updates are absolutely essential or not is a nightmare for a techie, let alone the relatively uninitiated. The regular updates usually come out the 2nd Tuesday of each month (Patch Tuesday). So, if you wait until the week following the 3rd Tuesday of the month, usually the hard core tech heads have weeded out any updates that have created more problems.

Always run a full backup and/or create a disk image before running an update. Then manually run Windows Update, check all the updates carefully, only reject any updates to the hardware drivers on your system, accept all the others. This is generally the best ratio of the easiest/safest way to go.

To manually check for updates, click 'Start - All Programs - Windows Update', then click on the 'Check for updates' button. After Windows Update has found all the available updates, you'll see on the left side of the 'Download and install updates for your computer' frame:

xx Important updates are available

xx Optional updates are available

Click on one of these, this will bring you to Window where you can see the available updates, check both the Optional and the Important, put check marks on everything, except any hardware driver updates. Do not accept any hardware driver Windows Updates. You should only check your model's Toshiba download page for any hardware driver updates.

Good luck.

Mike

My-computer

Hi Mike,

I did the uninstallation of the Realtek  WLAN Driver and the re-installation of the WLAN Driver, rebooted my computer but yet the same issue, the WLAN is still not listed in Network device. I still cannot connect to wireless network and the F8 never showed up when I press the Fn key. F1 - F7 and F9 showed up but no F8

What should I do next?

My-Computer

Super Advisor
miker643

[ Edited ]

My Computer

Replying a little faster than 12 days might help move things along. It's time to do a Toshiba Recovery to return your unit to its factory default out-of-the-box state. Back up all your user files, music, pictures, etc. If you have not already done so, make a set of Toshiba Recovery disks as instructed on page 69 of your Satellite® L500 Series User’s Guide , you'll need at least 3 DVDs, others report that DVD-R disks seem to work best. Then, run the recovery utility from the recovery partition on your hard drive, following the directions on page 62 of your user guide.

Toshiba laptops are very finicky about using only the Toshiba supplied hardware drivers.That's why I recommend disabling automatic Windows Updates and only doing manual updates. To prevent Windows Update from running after a Toshiba Receovery, as Windows is being setup, at some point it will ask you if you want to allow automatic Windows Updates, answer 'No, I will decide later'. After Windows is fully setup, click on 'Start - All Programs - Windows Update', on the menu at left click on 'Change settings', next under 'Important updates' click on the drop down menu at right and select 'Never check for updates (not recommended)', and click OK. Then, only check for manual updates, look at all the available updates carefully and never allow Windows Update to change any of your hardware drivers.

After you have run the recovery utility, it has finished setting up Windows, and you have disabled automatic Windows Updates, then check your WiFi and see if it working properly, and if you can toggle it off and on with the 'Fn + F8' key combination.

If the system still does not recognize your WiFi card, then your WiFi card has failed and needs to be replaced. If your WiFi card is now working, then you had some software/driver/update problem or conflict.

Please let us know what happens.  Good luck.

Mike

ammar_boss1

Re: Can't turn on function capability!

[ Edited ]

Dear all,

I tried all the above solution but my function "fn" is not showing in the above of my screen after pressing it

I have install tvap and tfcsu and reset bios setup nothing work

note the flash card utility work only with mouse capability after checking it from the setting

i have qosmio x305-q705 with windows 7 32 bit any other solution

Super Advisor
miker643

Re: Can't turn on function capability!

If the flash card utility is working with the mouse, then the flash card program itself is working, whether or not it is working with the 'Fn' key.

I have had this happen myself a few times and usually a soft boot resolves the problem right away.

Also, if the 'Flash Cards' don't appear at the top of the screen when you hit the 'Fn' key, then click the 'Start' button and type the word flash in the search field. In the programs that appear at the top, you should see 'Restart Flash Cards' and 'Settings for Flash Cards'. First, click on 'Restart Flash Cards', then again click on 'Start' and type in the word flash in the search field. This time click on 'Settings for Flash Cards', and make sure there is NOT a check mark on 'Disable all function keys', click 'Apply' and 'OK'.  Then try the Function key/Flash cards again.

Also, you could try disabling and enabling all the functions keys.

As a last resort, go into 'Control Panel -> Programs and Features' and completely uninstall first the Toshiba Flash Card Utility, then the TVAP, and reboot. Next, reinstall first the TVAP, reboot, and then the TFCU, and reboot again. If necessary try the flash card paragraph above.

If none of this works, there is still the possibility that the 'Fn' key on your keyboard is defective.

Mike

victoriachow

How do I turn on the wireless capability for my Toshiba Satellite A355-S6925? (I have checked the wireless switch on the front of my laptop and it is in the on position.) My wireless capability turned off once before and I think the solution had something to do with the FN key, but I can't seem to remember exactly how to do it. Is it really as simple as pressing FN and F8 at the same time? If so, I don't think my FN key is working because nothing shows up on my screen and nothing changes.

Any help/suggestion is greatly appreciated, but unfortunately I can't download any fixes because I can't acess the internet on my laptop.

Super Advisor
miker643

[ Edited ]

Satellite A355-S6925

If you tried reading the general instructions in the thread, its solution, and thought it through a little, it might help. Also, you do not mention if you are still running the Vista 64bit edition your system came with, or?

If the 'Flash Cards' don't appear at the top of the screen when you hit the 'Fn' key, then click the 'Start' button and type the word flash in the search field. In the programs that appear at the top, you should see 'Restart Flash Cards' and 'Settings for Flash Cards'. First, click on 'Restart Flash Cards', then again click on 'Start' and type in the word flash in the search field. This time click on 'Settings for Flash Cards', and make sure there is NOT a check mark on 'Disable all function keys', click 'Apply' and 'OK'.  Then try the Function key/Flash cards + your F8 key again.

If the above doesn't work, then  you are going to have download these files on another computer, copy them to disk, and finally install them on your computer from the disk. You do not mention if you are still running Vista 32bit, or if you have upgraded to a Vista or Win7 64bit edition. Regardless, only download and install the appropriate TVAP file, reboot, then install the Flash Card utility, and reboot again.

Toshiba Value Added Package for Windows Vista/7 (32bit)

Toshiba Value Added Package for Windows Vista/7 (64bit)

Toshiba Flash Cards Support Utility for Windows 7/Vista (32/64bit

After the reboot try the 'Fn' key plus your 'Fn' + 'F8' combination again, if necessary repeat the flash paragraph above. Please let us know if this helps. Good luck.

Mike

bobsmither

I have experienced non-connection of wireless internet card on several occasions.  To rectify, I applied the following options:  Go to My Computer on desktop>Rt click>Manage>Service and Applications> "Wireless Zero Configuration">Start [if highlighted]/Restart, if not. Failing that, go to Control Panel>Add or Remove Programs>Atheros 9825 Wireless>Change [NOT uninstall]>Reinstall Atheros Driver as per prompts.  If these fail try:  Control Panel>Admin Tools>Computer Mgt>System Tools>Device Mgr>Network Adaptors>Atheros 9825>Advanced>Dynamic MIMO Power Save [Try both Enable or Disable?]>MFP [Try both Enable or Disable]>Power Save Mode [Try Normal or Off]>Restart laptop each time you "test" Enable; Disable; Normal or Off.  Good Luck!  Bob

adxosrc

Hi support team,

Im trying to do the steps in this forum about turning wireless on, i´ve tried all of the possible solutions, i did the hard reset ( turning my laptop off, power cable, battery and pressing for 30 seconds or more the power button), i also got the files for the TVAP for mi serie (L355D-S7815) wich have no TFCU or something like that, id like to mention that in fact, i can see the fn buttons but F8 option does not appear, the only network addapter visible is NIC Fast Ethernet PCI-E Realtek RTL8102E, but by doing all steps i cant see the wireless adapter, i apreciate your help.

regards.

afdops

I have the same issue as a lot of the members. I have a Satellite A665-S5199, about two months old. The wireless worked fine until 9/11/11, when it just quit. The icon in the system tray had a red "X" through it. When I tried to toggle it back on using the fn -8 key, I just get a message "Wireless communication is disabled. Please turn on the wireless communications switch." However, as we all know, there is no switch. I have Restored back to a date prior to 9/11, I have installed new TVAP and TFCU utilities, I have checked the device manager which shows I have four wireless drivers and they are all "functioning properly", I have "Restarted the flash cards".

What else can I do without taking drastic measures such as wiping clean?