Super Advisor
miker643

Re: Can't turn on wireless capability!

Thanks for letting us know what happened. I can't say for sure, but probably doing the 'Restart Flash Cards' and 'Settings for Flash Cards' would have avoided/resolved the timing issue in getting everything working in a timely manner.

Regardless, just happy to hear it's all working now and thanks again for letting us know.

Mike

Occasional Contributor
edween08

MISTER MIKE! help me...
i have almost the same problem...there's no wifi...like there's no wireless lan on device manager...then there's no wifi shortcut key when pressing Fn button... 

Super Advisor
miker643

[ Edited ]

Let's just try a basic system reset and see if this helps bring your WiFi back.  Power off your system, unplug everything including the AC, remove the battery, press and hold down the power on button for 30 seconds, replace battery and AC, power on, at the Toshiba logo press the 'F2' key to enter BIOS Setup, in setup press 'F9' to load setup defaults, press 'F10' to save and exit, then try to boot into Windows again.

Then go into Device Manager, in there left click on the arrow 'Network adapters' and see if a WiFi or wireless device shows there. Then see if you can enable it with 'Fn+F8' and if you can make a connection.

If this doesn't work try this Microsoft Fix-It:

Hardware devices are not working or are not detected in Windows

If neither of the above work then give us your full model name/number like Satellite L455-S5000, and your model's part number like PSLY0U-03F02F. Also, we need to know your OS version, like Windows 7-64bit. Also, it would be helpful if you knew what make of WiFi card you had in your system, Realtek, Atheros, Intel, Broadcom???

Let us know what happens, or get back to us with the above information. Good luck.

Mike

Occasional Contributor
edween08

uhm this is A505-S6980.satellite...
then i have a print screen of some description of my problem... 

Super Advisor
miker643

[ Edited ]

Satellite A505-S6980

Did you try the system reset procedure I described before? If so, what happened?  If the reset did not help, did you try the Microsoft Fix-it procedure I gave you the link to before? If so, what happened?

Do you know whether you had a Realtek, or an Intel, or an Atheros WiFi card before you had this problem?

Mike

Occasional Contributor
edween08

what is the system reset procedure? is it gonna reset the computer and deletes all the files here?
how will i do it?

i dont know if i have a realtek wifi card problem . cos before it's working then one time i went to a wifi zone, there's already this problem. but here at home my net is cable DSL. 

Super Advisor
miker643

edween08

If you cannot read and follow the basic step by step instructions I give you then I cannot help you.

The system reset instructions i gave you in this post. No, it will not delete all your files.

Mike

InsaneLunatic

Hi.

I too, am having the same problem.

I have the l500-pslsoc-02h012 running Win7 home. I've tried all the steps outlined previously and nothing works. It is a Realtec adapter and downloading the new driver does nothing.... litterally nothing. It starts, decompresses... then disapears.

The network card does not show up in device manager, so I assume none of the other steps will work until I get the driver working.

I tried the MS fix it, but all it says is that there is a problem. That's it. No solutions or fixes... unless I missed something.

I'm really pissed at toshiba for not offering any support in this matter, as there seams to be an obvious problem here with many people. I have recommended toshiba laptops for many people for many years based on solid reviews, but when a company fails to own up to their faultly equipement, regardless of warranty, then they are finnished.

... and that's my rant... sorry! Had to get that off my chest.

You seame to have helped many here, so I would appriciate any advise you  have.

Thank You!

Joel

Super Advisor
miker643

Toshiba Canada Support Site

Joel

While I appreciate your frustration, Toshiba remains one of the most reliable makes of laptops available. As well, like many users frustrated by problems with their PCs, you completely fail to take into consideration the complexities of, and inherent problems with, all versions of Windows, including Windows 7, and immediately blame the PC/laptop maker. As well, I am unaware of any computer maker who provides free tech support, once a unit comes off warranty.

You say you have "tried all the steps outlined previously and nothing works". But, you do not actually list the steps you have tried. This makes it very difficult to advise you. In addition, this thread was started, and the steps I initially posted on it, were for a totally different problem, regardless of what you, and some others who have daisy-chained their posts on here, may think. That problem was the inability to toggle on the wireless adapters with the 'Fn+F8' key combination.

...and that's my rant...Sorry, but I also had to get that off my chest.  :smileywink:

The gold standard test on whether you have an actual hardware problem/failure is to perform a Toshiba Recovery and return your unit to its factory default out-of-the-box state. Since you have tried all the other steps, I suggest you try this.

Backup all your user files, music, pictures, etc. If you have not done so already, make a set of recovery disks as you would have been instructed to do when you 1st set up your computer. The instructions for this begin on page 3-12 (74) of your TOSHIBA Satellite L500/ Satellite Pro L500/ Satellite L500D/ Satellite Pro L500D Series User's Manua.... You'll need at least 3 DVDs, others have found that DVD-R disks seem to work best. Then, run the recovery utility from the recovery partition on your hard drive as directed on page 3-14 (76) of your user guide.

Toshiba laptops are very finicky about using only the Toshiba supplied hardware drivers. That's why I recommend disabling automatic Windows Updates and only doing manual updates. To prevent Windows Update from running after a Toshiba Recovery, as Windows is being setup, at some point it will ask you if you want to allow automatic Windows Updates, answer 'No, I will decide later'.

After Windows is fully setup, click on 'Start - All Programs - Windows Update', on the menu at left click on 'Change settings', next under 'Important updates' click on the drop down menu at right and select 'Never check for updates (not recommended)', and click OK. Then, only check for manual updates, look at all the available updates carefully and never allow Windows Update to change any of your hardware drivers.

Having disabled automatic Windows Updates, and after you have completed the initial set-up of Windows, immediately check whether your Realtek WiFi card is now present in Device Manager, and if it is, if it also now appears to be working properly. If it is present and works, then you had a software/driver/update problem. If your WiFi card is still not present, and/or does not work, then you have a hardware problem.

Let us know what happens. Good luck.

Mike

InsaneLunatic

Thank you for the candid reply Mike.

I'm not here to bash Toshiba, so I'll let that go. This was not the place to vent, my appologies.

My initial problem is exactly what the title states, "Can't turn on wireless capabiltity" the f8 key does not work and is not even listed in the fkeys menue. It used to be.

I should have been more specific in my description of "Tried everything", but I meant everything:

- First thng I did was a factry reset. I restored the laptop to it's original state before I even found this site. However, I did not turn off automatic updates. I will try that now.

I then followed every step in this post: I downloaded all the drivers and utilities and installed them in the assigned order rebooting when neccesary. I even tried installing the other network drivers, just to see if it would have any effect. The results are the same. No network drivers will install.

I reset the bios, as instructed in this thread.

The wireless card/switch in the bios is on.

I am not a novice to computers. I have been building and repairing pc's since the 286. I've built hundreds and had verry succesfull overclocks throughout the years, so I know my way around. However, I am fairly new to laptops.

That said, I believe the problem lies in the card itself or the drivers ability to detect it and install. Seeing that the card is integrarted, replacing the mobo is not an option.

I will re-install the factory setup and let you know what happens.

Thanks,

Joel

Super Advisor
miker643

[ Edited ]

Joel

Thanks for the polite and detailed reply. But, if the system is not recognizing your WiFi card (chip really) at all, then the toggle on feature under 'Fn+F8' will not appear, as there is no WiFi for the system to toggle.

Bottom line, during a Toshiba Recovery you must turn off automatic Windows Updates as Windows is being setup to get a proper factory default test. If you still have the problem after so doing, then it is a hardware problem.

Let us know what happens. Good luck.

Mike

My-computer

Hi Mike,

I cannot find the Realtek Wireless network card. I only see Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller. I then followed the steps you outlined for proper re-setting but after resetting and booting, I still cannot see the Wireless network  card.

I went to Control Panel to see programs installed and I saw that the 'Realtek WLAN  Driver ' was installed on 10/23/2009, which was about the time I purchased the computer. I am thinking that I should un-install the 'Realtek WLAN Driver' that was installed in 10/23/2009, and then install the TVAP again; do you think this might work? or will this cause more problems? Please help. This is really affecting my work since I cannot fly network cables around my house.

Thanks

Super Advisor
miker643

What laptop model name/number and what is your model's part number? Look on the Toshiba label on the bottom of your unit.

Let's just try a basic system reset and see if this helps bring your WiFi card back.  Power off your system, unplug everything including the AC, remove the battery, press and hold down the power on button for 30 seconds, replace battery and AC, power on, at the Toshiba logo press the 'F2' key to enter BIOS Setup, in setup press 'F9' to load setup defaults, press 'F10' to save and exit, boot into Windows again, and check if your WiFi is now present in 'Device Manager', and if it's there, if it is now working.

If that appears to have had no effect, then try this (different?) Microsoft Fix-It

Hardware devices are not working or are not detected in Windows

Please let us know the result and/or get back to us with specific model name/number. Best of luck.

Mike

drdongray

I've got the qosmio 305-705 and just updated to Windows 7, and have lost my flash cards.  I tried Flash Card Restart, checked settings, and downloaded Toshiba Value Addeed Package for windows Vista / 7 (64), rebooted.  Still doesn't work.  Any Help???

drdongray

Hi Mike, I'm Don, I have the Qosmio 305-705 mentioned above.  I tried the download of the TVAP, but it said that I have one running, or something like that. I did try the flash restart, and the settings for flash cards, and then I tried the system reset, and went into the device manager.  Still no flashcards.  I tried holding down the  FN key for about 1 minute, and then trying it with different F keys.  Still no flashcards.  Any other ideas???  Thanks!

Ripon

Thanks! I just followed step by step what you said and downloaded Utility TVAP and Flasd Card Support Utility - after that I was able to turn on the wirless switch!

Super Advisor
miker643

Qosmio X305-Q705

Dr. Don

Click on 'Start -> Control Panel -> Programs and Features' and uninstall the Toshiba Value Added Package that is there. Then download these files and install them in this order, and reboot after installing each file.

Toshiba Value Added Package for Windows Vista/7 (64)(v1.2.33_64)

Toshiba Flash Cards Support Utility for Windows 7 (32/64)

Try 'Fn' key and flash cards again. If necessary do the flash card paragraph again.

If the 'Flash Cards' don't appear at the top of the screen when you hit the 'Fn' key, then click the 'Start' button and type the word flash in the search field. In the programs that appear at the top, you should see 'Restart Flash Cards' and 'Settings for Flash Cards'. First, click on 'Restart Flash Cards', then again click on 'Start' and type in the word flash in the search field. This time click on 'Settings for Flash Cards', and make sure there is NOT a check mark on 'Disable all function keys', click 'Apply' and 'OK'.  Then try the Fn key/Flash cards + your Fx keys again.

Please let us know what happens. Good luck.

Mike

Super Advisor
miker643

Ripon wrote:

Thanks! I just followed step by step what you said and downloaded Utility TVAP and Flasd Card Support Utility - after that I was able to turn on the wirless switch!

Thanks for letting us know.

Mike

drdongray

Hi Mike, this is Don, I was able to delete the first file, then install the TVAP.  I went to the second download and tried to install it, but a warning popped up:  Toshiba Flash Cards Support Utility: The product [2] is already installed, preventing the installation of this product, the two products are incompatible. 

The installation was stopped.  Again, What can I do???  Thank you so much for all of your help.

Don

My-computer

Re: Can't turn on wireless capability![ Edited ]

Satellite L505-S5988

It sounds like your system is not recognizing that it has a WiFi card installed at all. Click 'Start', type in  dev  , click on 'Device Manager', click on the arrow beside 'Network adapters'. Do you see a WiFi card there? If so which specific wireless card do you have?

If you do not see a WiFi card in 'Network adapters', let's try a proper system reset, and see if this helps the WiFi thing.  Power off your system, unplug everything including the AC, remove the battery, press and hold down the power on button for 30 seconds, replace battery and AC, power on, when you see the Toshiba logo press the 'F2' key to enter BIOS Setup, in setup press 'F9' to load setup defaults, press 'F10' to save and exit, and boot into Windows again.

Then, go back into 'Device Manager -> Network adapters' and see if you have a WiFi device now. If so, try the 'Fn + F8' key combination again and see if you are now also able to toggle it off and on.

Please let us know what happens.  Good luck.

Mike

New Message for Mike:

Hello Mike,

Thanks for your help. I responded to your message two days ago and still expecting response from you:

I followed the directions you outlined, did the system reset as you described but still, there is no wiFi access. When I went back to Network Adapters, there was no WiFi listed.

I checked the programs installed through control panel and found that the Realtek WLAN Driver was installed on 10/23/2009, which is about the time I purchased the computer, and which means that when I installed the TVAP, the WLAN driver was not uptated. I am thinking, I should un-install the Realtek WLAN Driver (through add/remove program) that was previously installed and then install the TVAP again; do you think this will work? or will it complicate issues with the WiFi? Please advice!

Thanks,

Satellite L505-S5988