DOLLAZTEXAS
Accepted Solution

Can't turn on wireless capability!

Ok so recently my laptop was repaired, apparently something was wrong with the BIOS or OS (same thing? I don't know). After I got my laptop back the fn menu stopped coming up and evertime I push fn f8 to turn on the wireless nothing happens. I can put the laptop to sleep and dim and brighten the screen with the fn button without a problem. Someone please help me!

Is there any way to turn on the wireless capability without using the fn key?

My laptop is a Toshiba Satellite L505D-S5965.

Thanks.

Super Advisor
miker643

Re: Can't turn on wireless capability!

[ Edited ]

Satellite L505D-S5965

If the 'Flash Cards' don't appear at the top of the screen when you hit the 'Fn' key, then click the 'Start' button and type the word flash in the search field. In the programs that appear at the top, you should see 'Restart Flash Cards' and 'Settings for Flash Cards'. First, click on 'Restart Flash Cards', then again click on 'Start' and type in the word flash in the search field. This time click on 'Settings for Flash Cards', and make sure there is NOT a check mark on 'Disable all function keys', click 'Apply' and 'OK'.  Then try the Function key/Flash cards + your F8 key again.

If the above doesn't work download this file to your desktop, and double click to install it, and reboot. You do not mention if you are still running Vista 32bit, or if you have upgraded to a Vista or Win7 64bit edition, so only download the appropriate file.

Toshiba Value Added Package for Windows Vista/7 (32)

Toshiba Value Added Package for Windows Vista/7 (64)

After the reboot try the 'Fn' key plus your 'Fn' + 'F8' combination again, if necessary repeat the flash paragraph above. Please let us know if this helps. Good luck.

Mike

DOLLAZTEXAS

Dude seriously thank you so much, that worked perfectly! Thanks!

Super Advisor
miker643

No worries, happy to hear it worked. Thanks for letting us know.

Mike

PinkFink

I downloaded the 64 bit fix but, when I run it won't install because it says there is already a version installed and I should go to Control Panel and remove it first.  I can not find the file in the SW list.

Super Advisor
miker643

PinkFink

What's your full model name/number, and what's your model's part number? Check the Toshiba label on the bottom of your computer. Vista 64bit or Windows 7 64bit?

Mike

eltiburonbiker

[ Edited ]

Super Advisor
miker643

The above method may work for toggling wireless adapters, controlling brightness, and connecting external monitors. But, it will not toggle the touchpad, toggle between bluetooth-WiFi or both, handle power management and a number of other functions handled by the Toshiba Value Added Package (TVAP) and the Toshiba Flash Card Utility (TFCU).

These two utilities have generally been found to be critical to the smooth operation of any relatively recent Toshiba Laptop. Can these laptops work without them? Absolutely. But, at least in a Windows environment, will you experience problems and the inability to use certain functions and/or pieces of hardware? Almost without exception.

If the flash cards do not appear when you press the 'Fn' key, and/or you cannot toggle your WiFi, or Bluetooth, or touchpad, etc, then first reinstalling your model's TVAP and next, if it is not included in the TVAP in your model, your model's TFCU, is usually the best way to resolve these problems.

Go to the Toshiba general downloads site, surf for your specific model, find the latest TVAP for your model and OS versions, check whether your model also has a TFCU, download these files, then follow these directions, but using the specific TVAP and TFCU for your model.

Mike

Abano22

Hi Mike, I´m from Mexico City and I have a satellite L505DSP6927R with Windows 7 (64Bits), I can´t type "Flash" and neither do "Restart flash Cards" because my W7 is in Spanish, I downloaded and installed the file but after reboot, still doesn´t work the wireless and also not appear the option F8, the problem appear today after I was surfing at internet, I have not idea why, Mike or somebody could you please help me?

Super Advisor
miker643

Satellite L505D-SP6927R Specifications

Satellite L505D-SP6927R Downloads

Let's just try a basic system reset and see if this helps bring the WiFi back.  Power off your system, unplug everything including the AC, remove the battery, press and hold down the power on button for 30 seconds, replace battery and AC, power on, at the Toshiba logo press the 'F2' key to enter BIOS Setup, in setup press 'F9' to load setup defaults, press 'F10' to save and exit, then try to boot into Windows again.

Then go into Device Manager, I cannot speak Spanish but maybe it is called Administrador de dispositivos, in there left click on the arrow 'Network adapters' and see if a WiFi or wireless device shows there. If so, is it a Realtek or Atheros WiFi card?

Next, press and hold down the 'Fn' key alone, at the top of your screen it should look the Fn-Flash.jpg file attached.

If you do not see the above when you press the 'Fn' key, then download this file to your desktop and double click to reinstall it, then reboot.

Toshiba Value Added Package (TVAP) for Windows 7/Vista (64)

After you get the 'Fn' key - Flash Cards to work,  press and hold down both the 'Fn' + 'F8' keys at the same time. It should look similar to the attached Fn+F8.jpg file, except I do not think you have Bluetooth.

After pressing Fn+F8 together, then continuing to hold down the 'Fn' key, and pressing the F8 repeatedly, you should be able to toggle your wireless on and off.

If the above does not work, please let us know what WiFi card you have in your system and we can take it from there.

Good luck.

Mike

bossjojo

Thank you so much Mike. Downloading TVAP and TFCU really works. I'm really worried that I might not be able to enjoy wifi anymore because of this problem until I read your instructions. So much thanks. You're great!!

Super Advisor
miker643

[ Edited ]

You're very welcome. Thanks for letting us know and for the kudos.

Mike

My-computer

Hello Mike,

I have followed each step of the instructions outlined in the discussion forum; I did the flash, restart flash, setting for flash card. But when I press the 'FN' key, every other function appeared at the top except the F8. I also did the installation of the TVAP for my specific laptop model (L505-S5988, running Windows 7 64bit) but could not get the F8 when I press the 'FN' key. I looked through the toshiba website but there is no TFCU for my computer model (probably included in the TVAP; not sure). Please I need your assistance; this is already giving me some worries.

Thanks,

Super Advisor
miker643

[ Edited ]

Satellite L505-S5988

It sounds like your system is not recognizing that it has a WiFi card installed at all. Click 'Start', type in  dev  , click on 'Device Manager', click on the arrow beside 'Network adapters'. Do you see a WiFi card there? If so which specific wireless card do you have?

If you do not see a WiFi card in 'Network adapters', let's try a proper system reset, and see if this helps the WiFi thing.  Power off your system, unplug everything including the AC, remove the battery, press and hold down the power on button for 30 seconds, replace battery and AC, power on, when you see the Toshiba logo press the 'F2' key to enter BIOS Setup, in setup press 'F9' to load setup defaults, press 'F10' to save and exit, and boot into Windows again.

Then, go back into 'Device Manager -> Network adapters' and see if you have a WiFi device now. If so, try the 'Fn + F8' key combination again and see if you are now also able to toggle it off and on.

Please let us know what happens.  Good luck.

Mike

tiremanterry

can not get wifi and fn buttons do not show toggle switch can anhyone advise please

Thanks Terry

Super Advisor
miker643

tiremanterry

The Toshiba Value Added Package (TVAP) and the Toshiba Flash Card Utility (TFCU) have generally been found to be critical to the smooth operation of any relatively recent Toshiba Laptop. Can these laptops work without them? Absolutely. But, at least in a Windows environment, you will experience problems and the inability to use certain functions and/or pieces of hardware.

If the flash cards do not appear when you press the 'Fn' key, and/or you cannot toggle your WiFi, or Bluetooth, or touchpad, etc, then first reinstalling your model's TVAP and next, if it is not included in the TVAP in your model, your model's TFCU, is usually the best way to resolve these problems.

Go to the Toshiba general downloads site, surf for your specific model, find the latest TVAP for your model and OS versions, check whether your model also has a TFCU, download these files, then follow these directions, but using the specific TVAP and TFCU for your model.

Mike

nokycard

Thx for your strightforward instructions.  However it doesn't workfor me.  I see you mentioned in another post that the mousepad (and some other functions) can still be problematic.  You mentiond a "TFCU" program or application, but I can't find anything like that for my model an A215-S4697.

I can access the flash cards with my mouse, and often turn off my mouse pad when I'm doing a lot of typing.  But then I frequently forget to turn the mousepad back on, and if I've taken my laptop out without taking my mouse, now I can't turn the mousepad on and I've "locked myself out".  Yes, if I always took my mouse, or always rememberd to turn the mousepad back on, all would be OK.  However, I'm getting old, and I can't always rely on myself to remember to do all the things I'm supposed to!

Any ideas on how to get flashcards working on my model?

Super Advisor
miker643

[ Edited ]

Satellite A215-S4697

nokycard

TFCU is just my own accronym for Toshiba Flash Card Utility. Download and install these files in this order, reboot after installing each one.

Toshiba Value Added Package for Windows Vista/7 (32)(v1.2.33)

Toshiba Flash Cards Support Utility for Windows Vista/7 (32)(v1.51.0.3C)

then follow these directions.

Let us know what happens. Good luck.

Mike

nokycard

Thx for timely response.  I've installed the TVAP before, but not sure it's the same version you've linked me to.  Don't think I've installed are even found the TCFU before.

I'll give it a try, and let you know.

Thx again for your help!

nokycard

Voila!  Very thankful. 

Installing the two downloads did the trick.  The flash cards now are working.  I didn't have to follow the additional instructions.

FYI, there was a strange occurrence.  The first time I tried the fn key, both alone, and with the f9 (touch pad) key, the flash cards did not appear.  I was ready to try the last steps, prepared to accept defeat, but decided to play with the "fn" and function keys a while longer.   Holding the "fn" key down for 15 seconds didn't help.  Holding the "fn" and F9 key down together for 15 seconds, no luck.  Then I hit the "fn" key and the F8 key, and the flash card for F8 (wireless) DID appear.

It seems there were a few more trials where things did appear, but not in the consistent way that they do now.  I can't remember the exact details of what appeared and for how long and with what specific keys, but it didn't seem to be consistent, and the time it took for the various cards to appear seemed to vary from instantly to more than some number of "non-instantaneous" seconds.

Then, as I attempted a more planned approach to figure out a cause and effect and performance for specific sequences, the entire set of flash cards began appearing, instantly, as soon as and every time I hit the "fn" key.  Probably about 3 or 4 minutes had elapsed since I first started testing the "fn" and FN keys, and the time the consistent performance began.  And now, some 20 minutes later, is still working "instantaneously", as I had always hoped and expected it would.

Sorry for the detail, but I offer them in case they are useful to you in helping others to resolve this or similar problems.  Again, thanks for your specific, simple, instructive, and timely assistance.