Marie12345
Accepted Solution

Can't connect to WiFi (even though it shows me as connected) - Toshiba Satellite L300

Hi.  I have an older model Toshiba laptop (Satellite L300) and am using Windows Vista.  I am a couple hundred miles away from home for a few months staying in a mobile home park that has free wifi, but am unable to connect to the WiFi here, even though I was always able to connect at home.

A few things I think are important:

A friend that came here with me also brought his laptop and he connected to the wifi right away.  Even though I am sitting next to him with my laptop only three feet away, I cannot connect.  This makes me think that somewhere between home and here, I must have inadvertently changed a setting on my laptop and now can't get online.

Things I have checked:

Under Control Panel, Internet Options, Internet Properties, Connections, LAN settings, the Automatic Configuration is set to "Automatically Detect Setting".

Under Device Manager, Network Adaptors, it lists Atheros and Realtek and says both are enabled and working properly.

Under Control Panel, System, Device Manager, Network Adaptors, Driver, Update Driver Software, it says "the best software for your device is already installed and up to date."

At Control Panel, Network and Sharing Centre,it shows a picture indicating my laptop, the wifi, and the internet globe.  It shows me connected to the wifi, but between the wifi and the internet globe, there is a red X.

At Control Panel, Network Connections, Wireless Network Connection Status, Diagnose, it says "Cannot communicate with DNS server (192.168.0.1).  Windows found a problem that cannot be repaired automatically.  Then it says to click to open Network Diagnostics, and then it says Windows confirmed that Primary DNS Server is currently online, but is not responding to connection attempts at this time. 

I tried to connect with the Firewall turned off, but that didn't help.

At one point I got a prompt saying to Reset the Network Adaptor, which I did, but then a prompt appeared saying "There still seems to be a problem with your connection."

I've tried taking the battery out for a couple minutes then putting it back in.

I would appreciate any suggestions you can offer. 

Thanks.

Super Advisor
miker643

Re: Can't connect to WiFi (even though it shows me as connected) - Toshiba Satellite L300

First, whenever you post a problem we need your full model number, like Satellite L300-ST2501, and if yours is not a USA version, we need your model's part number, like PSLB8U-18D04H. As well, we need the Windows version you are using like Vista 32bit.

Next, which network adapter is the wireless one, the Atheros or the Realtek?

Finally, before you post back try to take your laptop somewhere else with free WiFi, like the local library or a coffee shop. We want to find out if you are having problems with only this trailer park's WiFi connnection, or with all WiFi connections.

Get back to us with the above info.

Mike

CJWrght

Re: Can't connect to WiFi (even though it shows me as connected) - Toshiba Satellite L300

Mike, I have almost identical problem.

laptop C655-S5049

It was working here at rv park, how similar...and nicely with the upgraded wifi, very swift. then today it would CONNECT to one of the two wifi possiblities, but not access the internet.

One error message says the wifi adapter is not connected, not enabled.

Went through troubleshooting sequence, for about he tenth time...and often end up with message that "Wireless network connection does not have a valid IP address."

The wireless works fine on my desktop an even on my smartphone.

I tried system restore to last point, did not help.

I will read all the things the gal did above and see if anything makes sense.

This has been an hour fooling with this...very frustrating. How can "it" work,and then not...? I will take the laptop to other location and try this evening.  The neighbor can log on fine...so apparently it is NOT the wireless router? When they had old system, the router had to be rebooted in the office...but ??

CJWrght

I have windows 7 home.

CJWrght

Ok, now when I went back to get out of the "doesn't have IP address..." where I have been ten times today. There was a message to click if it was a private network or public...I clicked public. and now it works.

I do not know what I did to finally get online...and break through. Can you scope out what might have happened?? and how I can break through this logjam in the future??

Thanks..

Carol

Marie12345

Hi Mike.  Thanks for the reply.

Satellite L300 - 08R System Unit, Model No. PSLB0C-08R08C, DC 19V, ACN:001320421

Windows Vista Home Premium, 32-bit Operating System

Atheros AR5007EG Wireless Network Adapter

Went to local library and UNABLE to connect to their WiFi.  Thanks again.

Super Advisor
miker643

[ Edited ]

Satellite L300-08R - PSLB0C-08R08C

Marie - Yours is a Canadian model. The link above will take you to your model's support page. Click on the black tabs below your model's description for your drivers, manual, and specifications.

Sorry, but I should have asked you last time as well. Are you able to connect to the Internet with an ethernet cable connection and your Realtek adapter? If you need to post back here, please check & answer this before posting.

Next, let's try to load this Atheros driver. Download this zip file, extract the .exe file, and double click on it to install the driver.

Atheros Wireless Driver Vista 32/64

Please let us know what happens. Good luck.

Mike

Super Advisor
miker643

[ Edited ]

...Ok, now when I went back to get out of the "doesn't have IP address..." where I have been ten times today. There was a message to click if it was a private network or public...I clicked public. and now it works. I do not know what I did to finally get online...and break through. Can you scope out what might have happened?? and how I can break through this logjam in the future??

Satellite C655-S5049 Specifications

Satellite C655-S5049 Downloads

Carol - First, glad to hear you're up & running. Why did this happen, and how can you prevent/work-around it? Really not sure.

Windows is messy and tempermental sometimes. Your system would have been trying to use the same IP address it got from the RV-Park WiFi router before, there could have been a conflict with another computer trying to use the same IP address, though usually you get a different error message. The WiFi router might have a limit on how many connections it allows at one time, which might have been maxed out. The problem was not necessarily with your notebook.

Regardless, if it's working now, probably best not to mess with it. Good luck.

Mike

Marie12345

No idea if I'll be able to connect with an ethernet cable connection at this point.  I could, when I left Canada a couple weeks ago, but where I am now, I only have access to the wireless.  I don't know anyone in this town where I'm staying for a while, so am not sure if I'll be able to find a place where I can try to physically connect my laptop to see if it'll work.  I'll try and find somewhere though...

Do you think downloading the new driver will solve my problem?  That would be so nice...  However, I am not able to download the Atheros Driver you sent me the link for, as I don't have any internet on my laptop right now.  (I am typing this on the laptop (wireless) of the friend I came down here with.)  If I can figure out a way to use someone's ethernet to connect, I will then try and download the new driver and do what you suggest.  (I should mention though that I'm really quite clueless about all of this, so I have to ask........how do I 'extract the .exe file'?  Sorry, but I'm in pretty much over my head at this point.)

If I am unable to figure out a way to see if I can get online connecting with an ethernet cable (and, therefore, would be unable to download the new driver), is there anything else you can suggest I try?  Are there any other settings I have overlooked that I could check that might be incorrect and just need changed?

Thanks again Mike.  Much appreciated.

Super Advisor
miker643

[ Edited ]

If you or your friend have a USB memory stick/thuumbdrive, you can download the driver to your friend's laptop, and then transfer it to yours with the thumbdrive.

As far, extracting the file(s), create a folder, copy the zip file into the folder, right click on the zip file, click 'Extract All', click the 'Extract' button, double click on the folder with the same name but without the zipper, double click on 'Setup.exe'.

Anywhere that has a wireless connection will, technically, have an ethernet connection you could plug into. All wireless routers have at least 1 & usually 4 or more ethernet ports on the router. This being said, how accessible the router is, and whether or not the WiFi location is willing to give you access/allow you to plug into it, is another story. Router security wise, it's really no different with wired or wireless access to the router. But, the physical location of the router may not be convenient for you to plug into.

There's a reasonable chance the driver will work. But, that's why testing the ethernet connection is important. If both your ethernet and WiFi don't work, then it points to another problem. However, if the ethernet works, then it's something to do with your WiFi alone, and the driver is a likely candidate.

Mike

Marie12345

Sorry - I didn't manage to do exactly what you suggested (I am so new to all of this and I got completely confused) but I was able to download it onto a memory stick, but am not sure what to do now.

What was added to the stick are two things - One is called VistaUtl and the other is VistaDrv.  When I open VistaUtl, nothing is really clickable.

When I open VistaDrv, I am able to click on something just called SetUp.  It says Date Modified 06/03/2009, Application, 444KB.  When I double-click it, it takes me to a little box that says the program name is setup.exe, publisher unknown, and asks the question:  Do you want to allow the following program from an unknown publisher to make changes on this computer? 

Then I was afraid to click either Yes or Cancel.  Am I in the right place, and should I therefore click on Yes?

Sorry........but I really am in way over my head so I just want to make sure that I am clicking on the right thing...

Super Advisor
miker643

[ Edited ]

Hi Marie

Just stay clam and try not to get stressed. Relax, take a deep breath, exhale, release all that tension.

You're SO close! No, do not click on the setup inside VistaDrv. The folder that has the VistaDrv and the VistaUtl folders inside of it, the folder name should be Atheros_WLAN_7.7.0.288.0_3264bit, has a   setup.exe   file inside of it. Double click on that   setup.exe  file.

I've attached a picture to show you what to double click on, and it shows you all the names above you should be able to find. So, just single click on the attachment at the bottom of this msg to see the picture.

Mike

Marie12345

I thought I had it, but didn't.  I was able to download the Atheros_WLAN_7.7.0.288.0 onto a memory stick and put it in my laptop, and found the setup.exe and double-clicked it, and it offered me two options: 

Modify - Select new program featuers to add or select currently installed features to remove;  or

Remove - Remove all installed features.

I selected Modify, and it appeared to be installing the driver and after about one minute, it said "The installation program has successfully performed the selected operations. Click Finish to exit the Wizard."  However, I was still unable to go online

Then I selected Remove, and a prompt appeared saying "Do you want to completely remove the selected application and all of its features?  Ok, or Cancel.  So I cancelled, because I wasn't sure that I should be removing everything.  Should I go back and chose Remove?

I should also mention that a couple times when I tried to connect to the wireless, I got a prompt saying "the capability of your network adapter does not match the requirements of this network."

Thanks again for your help, Mike.

Super Advisor
miker643

Go back and do it again. This time select Remove, click 'OK' to remove eveything. Let it do it's thing. Reboot if requested. Go back and run the 'Setup.exe' and try to reinstall the driver.

Again, I need you test the ethernet connection Marie. Or we're just wasting time here.

Mike

Marie12345

Hi Mike.  I was unable to check the ethernet connection anywhere in town here.   I tried a few places (including the library) but only wireless was available.  But omg......I'm online!  I am so happy that it actually worked.

I went back and clicked "Remove" this time, as you suggested, and then I went back and once again clicked on setup.exe and selected "Add" from the top left of the box, and it installed the drivers.  Then I rebooted and clicked on "Connect To" in the startup menu, and the wireless network came up, and when I clicked on it, just like before, it said I was connected.   Then I opened my browser and typed in yahoo.com and it actually connected this time.  Woohoo.  I couldn't believe it.

Thank you thank you thank you so much for helping me with this.  It has been much appreciated!  Thank you!

Marie

Super Advisor
miker643

Excellent!!  Good work Marie! Probably the wireless router at the RV-Park just needed a newer version of your WiFi card's driver to be able to connect with it.

Don't worry about the ethernet connection now. In all likelihood it's fine, or you wouldn't have been able to get a wireless connection. The ethernet drivers do not have to be updated very often, as the technology doesn't change as fast.

Anyway, you're very welcome. Just glad it worked out for you. Thanks for letting us know. Happy computing.

Mike

raulj

Hi Mike,

Same problem also. Here is my details....

Satellite C655D-S5133, Part Number (PSCOYU-00H02)

Window 7 - 64-bit

I am using the Realtek

Having problem with all wifi connections...

Thanks,

raulj

bfeist

OK, VERY Similar problem.

Saellite C65-S5601

Part # PSC12U-03201W

SER# XA329187Q

I was able to connect to the same wifi system without a problem a few weeks ago, now I can't.  I can connect to other open wifi without a problem.  I followed all of the steps several times.  I keep getting the message that there is no internet connection and on diagnosis says there is an invalid IP address.  I have the Atheros wireless adapter and the software is up to date according to the message when I tried to update a few minutes ago.  Now last week, I did a system restore back to a few weeks ago and it came up.  When I tried that this week it would not.  I tried with both my Windows firewall and Avast disabled.  Any ideas?

Eportela1013

Hi mike, I have the same problem as mary12345 satellite L355D-S7901 windows vista 32 bit, please help!