Occasional Contributor
wgander

Bluetooth activation

How?

My laptop SatelliteL755D-S204 lists Bluetooth in the Communications Specs, and Bluetooth Stack in the software.

So how do I turn it on?

I can't find anything on my laptop that hints of Bluetooth.

My Windows phone uses Bluetooth and works in my car, but doesn't see my laptop.

I access my ISP with a cable modem or wirelessly with a router to the cable modem.

My Windows phone also connectss to my ISP through the wireless router when I'm at home.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Bluetooth activation

SatelliteL755D-S204

Maybe this one?

Satellite L755D-S5204

See Bluetooth Settings on p. 148 and Disabling or enabling wireless devices on p. 207 of the User's Guide.

Satellite/Satellite Pro L700 Series User’s Guide

And go here for the Windows 7 controls.

Add a Bluetooth enabled device to your computer

Connect to Bluetooth and other wireless or network devices

Change settings for a Bluetooth enabled device

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
wgander

Sorry for the typo, yes, it's Satellite L755D-S5204.

I appreciate the quick response.

Toshiba Assist doesn't show Connect, only Secure, Protect and Fix, Optimize.

The Function Key Only shows WiFi On/Off and Cancel.

My Windows phone (also up-to-date) doesn't see a connection available.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Toshiba Assist doesn't show Connect..

Open Device Manager (devmgmt.msc) and look around for yellow error messages. Look especially under Bluetooth Radios and Network adapters.

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
wgander

No yellow icons.

In Network adapters: Atheros AR8152/8158 PCI-Ethernet and Atheros AR9002WB-1NG Wireless Network

In System devices-:Bluetooth ACPI

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

What about Fn + F8 on p. 207. Can you step through the wireless options including Bluetooth?

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
wgander

No, I forgot to mention that.

I only have the option to turn WiFi on/off or Cancel

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Since there's no sign of your Bluetooth adapter in Device Manager or elsewhere, I conclude that it's malfunctioning.

The only way to be certain this is not due to software is to restore the hard disk to its original out-of-the-box contents using Toshiba recovery media.

This happened to one of our Lenovo laptops last week. In that case, it was a simple matter of replacing a separate card.

For warranty repairs, call 800-457-7777.

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
wgander

Thanks for the help; I'll post a follow up...

Occasional Contributor
wgander

Tech Spt sent me a link to tc00354000p.exe to install Bluetooth.

RFBUS fails to install..the process hangs up for a long time before stating install is complete, to restart.

Device Mgr indicates a fault with RFBUS, Code 10.

I've tried reinstalling the exec, which removes previous installs first, but have the same error, and my Windows phone doesn't see the PC and the PC Bluetooth Manager says Bluetonnoth isn't ready.

I tried updating the Driver, no luck - ssearch says it's the current one.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I suppose we should have gone through that routine first.

Bluetooth Stack for Windows by Toshiba

But since we didn't find any trace in Device Manager, it's no surprise.

Call them back: 800-457-7777

I expect they will have you restore the hard disk to its original out-of-the-box contents using Toshiba recovery media.

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
wgander

I found it while I was hold..in My Toshiba, Application Installer, and saved it. After I tried the one they sent me twice, I installed it twice...neither of them work - I get the same error.

I may restore the PC myself after I copy my files, passwords, etc to a CD.

At least Win7 isn't that old.

I recently restored my since dead desktop PC with WinXP and it took two days for all of the updates! Everytime I started it up there were more to install.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Yes, it's a tedious process. But it's the only way to be certain that software is not responsible for the problem.

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
wgander

I appreciate your help. I'll post a follow up..it may be a couple of days before I have the time to make backups and restore,

Bill

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Good luck, Bill.

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
wgander

I restored my laptop to out of the box condition and installed Bluetooth. ONe of the many updates seemed to remove it, so I used system restore to go back until I had it, then set a restore point before every update or addition of software.

I haven't figures out how to get my phone and the computer to talk to each other.

Sometimes the B,lutooth info on the PC setup lists my phone, sometimes it doesn't.

When I try to pair them, my phone shows  a code that's the same as the computer,so I select it to authorize it, but then the  phone ends up stating unable to connect. The PC brings up a dialog box about sharing information with devices and I select OK, but it doesn't connect.

I'm losing patience and may give up. It would be a nice convenience and maybe a better alternative to Skydrive and Zune for sharing files and music.

...It is nice to have my PC back to like new condition again, 'though.

Bill

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

ONe of the many updates seemed to remove it, so I used system restore to go back until I had it, then set a restore point before every update or addition of software.

Sounds like a winning strategy. Doesn't it work?

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
wgander

The System Restore strategy worked and I now have Bluetooth on the PC but haven't been able to pair the PC and the phone yet.

Toshiba's (or is it Msfts?) Wizard, identifies the phone, provides a dialog box with a passcode, and provides me the opportunity to authorize the sharing of information. The phone provides a box with the same passcode  and an opportunity to select or cancel the connection. Selecting the connection, the phone then says it can't connect.

Bill

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

If the links in my first message don't help, Bill, there's nothing more I can say. Sorry.

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
wgander

I'll probably keep trying once in awhile.If I ever get it to work I'll post an update.

Thanks for your help,

Bill