LisaW

Atheros AR5006EG Drivers

Hey, 

My cousin and I both have similar Toshoba Laptops, but mine has Realtek wireless and hers is Atheros.  She just bought a new router where her choice for Encryption is WPA2 or None.  Her Laptop will not connect with WPA2, but mine will.  We have same version of Vista, updates etc...  The major difference I see is her wireless chipset, which is AR5006EG. We have the latest drivers offered from Toshiba according to the download site, Version 7.2.0.164, dated 5-2007.  But according to Atheros there is much newer stuff.  They have 7.7.x.x dated this year, but only OEM's can access.  I found several articles where these later drivers fixed similar issues in other Laptops.  How can I get ahold of something newer for the Atherosa chipset in an A135-4656 Laptop????

Lisa

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Atheros AR5006EG Drivers

Satellite A135-S4656

So far as I know, Lisa, that card and that driver do support WPA2.   

What happens when you turn security off in the router? Does the laptop connect?

-Jerry
LisaW

Yes, if you set the router Encryption setting to "None" it connects fine.  But that gives absolutely no security, not even a password or MAC address filter to turn on.  It's an Apple Airport Extreme.  Besides being way overpriced, it doesn't have a lot of configurable options.  -  I did find some articles for other Laptops that the newer Atheros drivers fixed a similar issue, so was hoping someone at Toshiba might be able to get them for me.   Lisa

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

..was hoping someone at Toshiba might be able to get them for me. 

Sorry, Lisa. No Toshiba tech support here. Just users like you and me.

If your language skills are adequate, you might look around here.

The Unoffical Czech Atheros Driver Site

-Jerry
LisaW

Yes, I found that site...a litle "sketchy" looking.  -  I'll keep looking and post if I find a resolutiion other than leaving encryption turned  off.   Lisa

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Lisa, it appears some distros of Linux can use WPA2 with that adapter.

Scroll down near the bottom of this discussion. Maybe you can learn something there.

-Jerry
LisaW

Thanks Jerry for your helpful posts. I tried a bunch of things, and wanted to post the resolution for this issue. 

In the end I reluctantly downloaded the latest driver from that Czech site, and everything now works.  It was version 7.7.0.415.  I figured out how to just get just the driver files and not download their helpful little tool.

Lisa

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Good for you, Lisa!

Thanks for letting us know of your success.

-Jerry