AGW
AGW

802.11n Problem

I have just purchased a Satellite L745 that was built in October 2011, and I am unable to connect to my 802.11n wireless network.

The wireless network adapter is described in Device Manager as “Realtek RTL8188CE Wireless LAN 802.11n PCI-E NIC.” The operating mode is IEEE 802.11b/g/n. I downloaded and installed the latest driver from Realtek: 1005.28.1006.2011. Disabling and then enabling the device did not solve the problem.

The router is a Netgear WNDR3300 with two broadcast channels: 802.11g and 802.11n. The SSIDs of both channels are broadcast. Resetting the router did not solve the problem.

The adapter does not detect the 11n channel. It does not appear in the Wireless Network Connection box. The adapter does detect the 11g channel and connects without difficulty.

My wife’s laptop computer, custom built in December 2009, detects the 11n channel and connects to it without difficulty.

The Toshiba adapter does detect another 11n channel in my neighborhood. I did not try to connect.

Any ideas about why the adapter does not detect my 11n channel?

Thanks.

A. G. Waltz

Peter

Re: 802.11n Problem

Because you've already updated the drivers on your notebook, try updating the firmware of the router. It might be a compatibility issue.

- Peter
AGW
AGW

Thanks. I checked at the Netgear site and the router has the latest firmware.

AGW

Occasional Contributor
SOHO

I have the same problem. Laptop and router BIOS are each up to date. 

SAD TO SEE NO ANSWERS in the Toshiba forum!

Peter

The community can't know the answer to every problem, SOHO. I gave you a link in the thread you started that you might want to check.

- Peter
Regular Advisor
priuscat

is the wireless N on your router transmitting at 5.0 GHZ? if so, your adapter won't see the 5.0 GHZ signal because it's not a dual band adapter, it only sees 2.4 GHZ