forgottenlore
Accepted Solution

touch pad scrolling

Is there anyway to turn off the scrolling feature on the touch pad? I have been into the control panel settings and see nothing in there for it. I don't like the touch pad scrolling effect because i constantly bump it and activated it, How can i deactivate it?

Occasional Advisor
Techman

Re: touch pad scrolling

On mine, there is a setting in control panel, under Mouse on the advaced tab, to change the size of the scroll areas or turn them off.

This signature left intentionally blank.
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

See, for instance, Figure 4 in Toshiba's Document ID: 98082642.

Which computer?

-Jerry
forgottenlore

update

i found the settings in device settings under the mouse control. It wasn't to easy to find.

thank you for your responces

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Happy that you found it. Thanks for letting us know the outcome.

-Jerry
jujube

Thank you SO MUCH!!!!! what an enormous relief to get those skateboard wheels off my shoes. :smileyhappy:

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

You too?

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
Nehmo

Oh yeah? Well, I like touch-pad scrolling. But it stopped; I don't know why yet.

If in Mouse Properties -> Device Settings tab -> Settings button pressed -> Properties for Synaptics TouchPad... is displayed; if in the left side of that box, the select-item window, Scrolling is selected, then in the right side, the options are grayed-out and can't be selected. If Scrolling is expanded and then One-Finger Scrolling is selected, then neither option, neither vertical nor horizontal can be checked. The small boxes aren't grayed out, they just don't display the checked condition after being checked. And the TouchPad scrolling doesn't function. 

Maybe I'll figure it out before I get another machine. Most of the time, with these small problems, I don't *really* need to fix them. I often do, though, but it's for the interest in seeing what went wrong - it's not for the need to get the failure repaired. 

Toshiba L455D-S5976

Windows 7 Home Premium 

Synaptics TouchPad V7.0

`~- Nehmo

`~- Nehmo
vexeduser

I have a toshiba netbook, NB205-230, and the scrolling feature stops working after a period of time.  The touchpad continues to function otherwise but the added features and scrolling stop working.  I have to restart the computer to restore functionality.  With a laptop and moreso a netbook the scrolling is very helpful and it is a pain when it stops working.  Why does it stop?  Is there a way to restore it without restarting the computer?

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

mini notebook NB205-N230

Open Device Manager (devmgmt.msc)  and expand Mice and other pointing devices. Do you have the ALPS or Synaptics touchpad?

Double-click it. What does Device status have?

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
Nehmo

Odd, I don't see the Synaptics touchpad listed in device manager. Is it supposed to be there? It works except for the scroll feature.

~~ Nehmo

`~- Nehmo
Occasional Contributor
Nehmo

The solution depends on your touchpad software, Alps or Synaptics. Since mine was Synaptics, I was able to install the latest software from http://www.synaptics.com/support/drivers . It worked.

The cursor no longer jumps around while I type, and I can now scroll using the touchpad.

I now see Synaptics in Device Manager (Windows Key + R > devmgmt.msc). It's v 15.1.22.2

I was living with the problem for some time, always putting it at the back of my todo list. I finally spent some time and fixed it. Now, with that off the list, I can devote my attention my other problems. I'm scheduled to go to jail for 5 days in January (basically, for ignoring a civil, with criminal eventual consequences, traffic case 12 years ago). I have to figure a way out of going. :-)... I wish I were joking. 

~~ Nehmo

`~- Nehmo
gladcelt

What a relief to be rid of those interfering obtrusive little scroll bars!!!!:smileywink: