bmsimon89

scroll bar not working with windows 7 64-bit (Satellite U305-S2804)

I recently installed Windows 7 64-bit onto my Satellite U305-S2804. The touchpad works just fine except for the scroll bar on the edge of the pad. I tried to update the driver, but got an error message when extracting the file that said "Could not find OS specific setup program." Before Win 7, I had Vista 32-bit installed and it worked just fine. It's not the end of the world or anything, just really annoying...any ideas?

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: scroll bar not working with windows 7 64-bit (Satellite U305-S2804)

Satellite U305-S2804 

..got an error message when extracting the file that said "Could not find OS specific setup program."

That's an interesting message.

Synaptics Touch Pad Driver for Windows 7 (32/64)

What happens when you try the install this way?

Download the file driver_touchpad_synaptics_TC70035800B.exe to your hard drive and pay attention to where you put it.

When you execute the file, use the Options button to tell it not to run setup.exe after extracting, and choose a place where you want the decompressed files and folders to go. It will extract into about ten gigabytes of stuff.

Among all that stuff, notice the location of the *.inf files.

Now open Device Manager (devmgmt.msc), expand Mice and other pointing devices, right-click the Synaptics device, and click Update driver software. Navigate to the location of those *.inf files, and let the Update Wizard do its stuff.

Good luck!

-Jerry