Buding

keyboard does not function

Hi. I have a laptop model: Satellite L555D-S7005. OS is Windows 7 64 bit. The keyboard does not function during password sign in. My workaround is to plug in an external keyboard in the USB. Once I press one key on the external keyboard the laptop's keyboard once again becomes functional. I have tried last known config, restore feature & lates bios update but to no avail. Can someone please help me find a fix? I would greatly appreciate any assistance resolving this issue.

Buding

Super Advisor
cbwilsha

Re: keyboard does not function

Two possibilities. One, go to Device Manager, double click Keyboards, right click the INTERNAL keyboard and click Uninstall.  Restart computer and keyboard driver will be automatically reinstalled.

Two, if that doesn't work, try a System Reset.  Turn off computer. Remove all attachments and battery. Press and hold the Power button for 15 seconds.  Attach Power and insert battery.  Start computer and tap F2 at the Toshiba splash screen to get in BIOS.  Press F9 to setup system defaults. Answer Yes. Press F10 to Save Configuration Changes and Exit.  Answer Yes to complete the process.  The computer will restart.

C.B.

C.B.

Toshiba Sat. L675D-S7016 Win 8 PRO 64 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L775D-S7132 Win 7 PRO SP3 64 Bit which also has Virtual Machine with Win XP SP3---Toshiba Sat. L305-S5921 Win Vista SP2 32 Bit
Buding

Thanks for your suggestions C.B. I tried them both but no good. The problem remains. Got any other suggestions?

Super Advisor
cbwilsha

[ Edited ]

If you have a System Restore point pre-dating the keyboard problem, I would try the System Restore. You may have already tried this but I would try again with a different Restore Point.  I'm not sure what you mean when you say you tried "the restore feature".  If that doesn't work or you don't have such a file, the only software solution left is to recover your HDD back to out-of-box state.  The procedure is covered and full directions are available starting on page 60 of your User's Guide.  You need to back up anything you have added since the computer was new since it will be lost in the recovery process.

If you do that and still have the problem, then it is confirmed that the problem is hardware related.  Good luck!

C.B.

C.B.

Toshiba Sat. L675D-S7016 Win 8 PRO 64 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L775D-S7132 Win 7 PRO SP3 64 Bit which also has Virtual Machine with Win XP SP3---Toshiba Sat. L305-S5921 Win Vista SP2 32 Bit
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Satellite L555D-S7005

The keyboard does not function during password sign in. .. Once I press one key on the external keyboard the laptop's keyboard once again becomes functional.

I have tried last known config..

Just curious about what happens in Safe Mode.

Start your computer in safe mode

-Jerry
Buding

I already tried using System Restore. I used the furthest out (oldest restore point) but the keyboard issue still remains. So I will now try to recover the HDD back to the out of the box state as you suggested.

Buding

Buding

Hi Jerry.

I tried your suggestion by starting it in safe mode. Keyboard still does not work until I plug in the external keyboard & hit a key.

My last recourse software wise now is to do a recovery of the HDD to its out of the box state as C.B. suggested.

Thanks anyways for your input.

Buding

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Sounds like a hardware malfunction to me.

Restoring the hard disk to its original out-of-the-box contents using Toshiba recovery media will confirm it.

-Jerry