Tricia_S
Accepted Solution

keyboard backlight

I have a P205, and did not know of the backlight feature for the last year! Following the directions, after going to toshiba/utilities/hw set up, I do not have the two rows of titles at the top, only one, and illumiation is not one of them.  Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks much!!  Tricia_S

Regular Advisor
Defender

Re: keyboard backlight

Could you please furnish the full Model# to better assist?  Definitely appreciated.

Tricia_S

Yes, it is P205D-S7802.  Thanks

Regular Advisor
Defender

If applicable to your unit, review:

The backlight that illuminates the keys on the computer's keyboard is off by default. To turn it on, press and hold the Fn key, and then tap the Z key. Press this same  Fn + Z hotkey combination to turn it off again.

You can change the settings for the keyboard backlight in Toshiba Hardware Setup: Click the Windows Start button, then click All Programs, Toshiba, Utilities, and HWSetup.

In the HWSetup app, click the Illumination tab. The Illumination properties page will appear, as shown below.

The available options are:

• Auto - The keyboard backlight will turn on when a key is pressed. It will stay on as you type, until you stop typing for the number of seconds specified in the Backlight Lighting Time field, which you can increase or decrease to suit your preference.
  • On - The keyboard backlight stays on -- until you press Fn + Z to turn it off.
  • Off - The keyboard backlight stays off -- until you press Fn + Z to turn it on.
  • REBOOT to apply settings please.
Tricia_S

Yes, I had already done that, and it didn't work.  Thanks

Regular Advisor
Defender

Then Tricia_S plan a trip to Service Center for their diagnostic.  Reload the utility as it may have initially not fully installed as an option.

Tricia_S

Thank you for all your help!!  Tricia

Regular Advisor
Defender

Glad we could be of assistance Tricia_S.  Take care.

Oswaldo

It may be that you miss one step or something because the settings work, here is two ways to do it:

1. Click: Start button (bottom left by default) / type (without doing anything else just after you click start): Toshiba / click: Toshiba assist / click: optimize (left on the Toshiba assist window) / click: Toshiba hardware settings (right on the Toshiba assist window) / click:  the illumination tap / now the first option is illumination LED this control the side panel buttons where Eco Mode is, the second option controls the keyboard Backlight if you select the Fn+ (keyboard) option you can turn on and off the light just by pressing Fn+ Z the on box is if you want by default to be on when you turn on the computer.

2.  Click: start / Click: all programs / click: TOSHIBA / click: Utilities / click: HWSetup then follow the steps of option 1 from the illumination tap.

Make sure your laptop have the keyboard backlight because that is not standard option in all Toshiba computers.

This was done in Widows 7

Note: also you can customize the function of the side buttons here from the Toshiba assist window.       

elgoldo77

I also tried every recommended solution for enabling the backlight on the keyboard, however when i go into the HWsetup window there is no tab for illumination.  Very weird cause when i got the computer recently the back light would go on, now it doesnt.  please help!

elgoldo77

there is no illumination tab in my hw setup window

bootman

If you wish to change the timer settings for the keyboard back lite, reboot your machine and press the f2 key go to the power management tab scroll down and change the timer from 1 sec to what ever you wish. Save changes and reboot.