mcslaps

caps lock button working opposite

With my fairly new p55t-a5202 the caps lock button when on (and light showing) works as if it was off and vice versa.

Why?

Peter

Re: caps lock button working opposite

Could something be stuck under one of your SHIFT keys, making the computer think it's always being held down?

- Peter
Jerk

My C55t-A5222 is doing the same thing. Nothing under shift keys. The CAPS LOCK light is on but I get lower case typeface. When the CAPS LOCK light is OFF all typeface is CAPS. It's very confusing. Is there a fix?

Peter

When the capslock button is off, you get capital letters. What happens if you press the '1' key? Do you get a '1' or a '!' mark?

- Peter
Jerk

[ Edited ]

With CAPS LOCK in both the OFF and ON positions it produces a 1. With CAPS LOCK in both the OFF and ON positions I must use the SHIFT key to get an exclamation mark.

The bad position/posture of my hands is such that sometimes I inadvertantly hit keys on the bottom row at the same time I'm typing. I suppose there are times when I may hit more than a single key in that row as well. Don't know if that would effect anything but I want to give any info that may help diagnose the upper/lower case dilemma.

Peter

I'm still not sure what caused it. Can you try the first three suggestions in this article?

What can I do if my keyboard is not functioning properly in Windows 8, Windows 7, or Windows Vista?

- Peter
Jerk

[ Edited ]

First thing this AM when I signed in to Windows, I found the problem had apparently resolved itself (my Windows PW begins with a capital letter, so it was immediately noticeable). On Friday, I followed the link you provided and read the info there but, as of this AM, had not (yet) done anything suggested. Something happened overnight while both my laptop and myself were in sleep mode, because the problem was still present when I closed the lid for the final time last night.

Either I purchased a laptop with the ability to heal itself (I did upgrade to Windows 8.1 just prior to the problem manifesting itself, which begs the question: has MS begun using/installing AI?) or, the Good Fairy of laptops has paid me a nocturnal visit (which would be strange and ironic because my first intent this AM was to search for info on 'buried alive' nightmares, such as the one I had last night).

Seriously, I am baffled. Thank you for your time and efforts. I will keep a link to this thread in case the problem reappears.

Have a WONDER-FILLED Christmas, Peter! .....HEY!?!?!? Do you think.........? I HAVE been a good boy!

Jerk

Well, that didn't take long! However, I DID notice the action I performed (this time) that caused the switch back to the original problem I was experiencing. I struck both the CAPS LOCK and SHIFT keys simultaneously, or nearly so.

Unfortunately, nothing I've tried corrects it and, again, I'm left WONDER-ing, "What occurred overnight?"

Jerk

[ Edited ]

What an embarrassing morning I'm having! On a whim, I decided to restart my laptop (typically, I just close the lid when I'm done) and "Abracadabra!" PROBLEM SOLVED!

Any thoughts?

In hindsight, I had Windows updates ready to download/install this AM, which required a restart, but I posted my first comment here before updating/restarting.

Jerk

Maybe all it takes is a restart to resolve the issue? I've been very careful to strike only a single key at a time, so I haven't actually reproduced the issue to check my assumption. If by chance I get lazy, inattentive and wind up back in the same situation, I will try restarting and post the results. Merry Christmas.

Peter

Honestly, I don't have any experience with this problem. I did some Googling on it and did see people recommending hitting control, shift, and capslock at the same time. I couldn't find any information on why that would do anything, and it did nothing on my computer when I tried it. I didn't suggest it because I wasn't sure if it was valid. Maybe there's something to it!

- Peter
Jerk

I tried that early on, with no success.

However, I just experienced the issue again and restarted my laptop. That's all it took to resolve the issue.

Thank you for all of your time and efforts, Peter. I truly appreciate it. Have a Wonder-filled Christmas and a prosperous New Year!

hjhood

I have a Satellite P75-A7200.  This problem with the CAPS LOCK key function working in opposite mode has hapened before - but somehow disappeared as it did appeared!

These last two days it has appeared again - and has stayed.

I have tried the SHIFT+CAPS LOCk and all it does is shutoff the CAPS LOCK LED - and the problem is still there!

I know this sounds confusing but this is now what happens:

i am now in caps lock - led on.  i now go shift plus caps lock

SHIFT PLUS CAPS LOCK LED OFF.  I AM IN FULL CAPS LOCK

SO THE SHIFT+CAPS LOCK SIMPLY SHUTS OFF THE LED WITH LOWER CASE IN POSITION.

i KNOW THIS IS SEEMS SENSELESS BUT IT DOES EXIST.

My devices:
Satellite A215-S4747
32-bit AMD processor
Windows Vista Home Premium
and
Satellite P72-A7200
64-bit I7
Windows 8.1
hjhood

OK!  I got it to work . . .

I read about three recommended solutions by roaming through the other websites.

1. Press and release the SHIFT KEY five or six times.  The Sticky Key function shows up.  (Instead of deselecting it, I selected it).  Did not solve the problem.

2. Shut the NUMBER LOCK off.  Nope!

3. And of course, the SHIFT + CAPS routine - and agin NOPE!.

So, I shutdown this PC last night.  Cycled it up today - and YEP! it works as it should.  (Now don't tell me I should have done that in the beginning 'cuz I did!

Don't know what fixed it - Perhaps the STICKY KEY OPTION did it . . .

Regards

My devices:
Satellite A215-S4747
32-bit AMD processor
Windows Vista Home Premium
and
Satellite P72-A7200
64-bit I7
Windows 8.1
ankhdancer

Same things happened on my Satellite C55. I was able to fix it by selecting FN + CAPS LOCK. Had the same problem with the NUM LOCK key and FN + NUM LOCK worked to fix that too.