rfair

Yet another touchpad stopped working

I read several of the posts and didn't see one that matched exactly what my laptop is doing.

I have a Satellite P500-ST68X2, i7-720QM processor, Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit). 5-6 weeks old.

This is what I have tried to no avail:
1. Tried pressing the touchpad enable/disable button just below the space bar. A small touchpad picture comes up for a couple of seconds and disappears.  Touchpad still doesn’t work.
2. Pressed Fn-F9 to display flash cards.  The circle with “Enable” is larger, indicating the touchpad is enabled.  Touchpad doesn’t work.  I toggle Fn-F9 to the “Disable” position.  Touchpad doesn’t work.  Toggle it back to “Enable.” Nothing.
3. Disabled Touchpad driver and software (Control Panel -> System -> Device Manager -> “Mice and other pointing devices” and restarted.
4. After restart, a PS/2 Compatible Mouse is installed.  I get a message that says that restart is required to apply these changes.  However, at this point in time before I restart, the touchpad is partially working (pointing, left and right buttons, touchpad tapping but no scrolling and no magnifying.  I open Control Panel and look at the Mouse properties and, besides my external mouse, there is an entry for "PS/2 Compatible Mouse."
5. Restart as directed and touchpad does not work at all. In Control Panel, the PS/2 Compatible Mouse is still listed.
7. Using the "Toshiba Application and Installer," I reload the Synaptics hardware.
8. Restarted.  Touchpad does not work at all.  Fn-F9 indicates it is enabled.
9. Uninstalled the driver and software again and restarted.
10. Downloaded the latest driver from Toshiba, installed and restarted.  Touchpad does not work at all.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Yet another touchpad stopped working

Satellite P500-ST68X2

You didn't mention this (which seems to set things straight for some folks).

Reset the computer by closing the power-on switch for half-a-minute while the battery and AC adapter are not connected.

-Jerry
rfair

Jerry - It worked.  I have never heard of "resetting" in this way.  Thanks!

tonyboy5555

Jerry, I am having the same problem with my synaptic mouse/touchpad. I have to use a usb fed mouse to operate the laptop.  I forgot to mention my laptop is a satelitte a305-s6905 with Vista home premium, it has service pack one on it.  This problem happened once before and it rectified itself after a couple of days.  But for the last 3 weeks it is still not working.  I've tried restoring points for months ago and even recently, I unistalled and reinstalled the device over and over again, I reinstalled the service pack more than once, I did the FN-F9 deal and to no avail.....NOTHING!  I did go into the device manager to mouse and pointing device and notice the only mouse there is the usb.  I went to control panel-mouse-device settings and there is nothing there so therefore I cant add, repair, enable, disable or anything closely related in this option.  It does have a link at the bottom right of the setting tab for the synaptic website but as far as being able to do anythinbg within the tab nothing.  I also see that the fn-f9 option does work but when used it does nothing to help me enable the touchpad.  I have even pulled the battery off and disconnected the a/c power but still nothing.  I need help fast.  I can't keep using this usb mouse it is a major problem and discomfort.  Any suggestions as to how to get this thing working????

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

It worked.  I have never heard of "resetting" in this way.  Thanks!

Sometimes we get lucky.

-Jerry
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Satellite A305-S6905

You didn't say anything about the driver. Try uninstalling the mouse and installing this driver.

Synaptics TouchPad Driver for Windows Vista (32/64bit) and Windows XP

-Jerry
LIBruceFan

Jerry,

I'm having a similar problem but with win 7 (64 bit).  Problem is I cannot uninstall the PS2 mouse driver, every time I do it just reinstalls itsell when the system boots up again.

I even tried running the synaptic generic driver and it, like the Toshiba Synaptic driver, report a failed installation.

Any suggestions?

Hagenc

I'm having a problem with my Touchpad also, it does not work after trying everything I can think of. I have noticed that my laptop is bowed up in the front of it and thought maybe that is why the touchpad will not work. I use a cooling pad so I know that it has not gotten hot but that is what it looks like, anyone have any ideas on how to fix this problem????

Thanks

Ray-Ray_L355d

[ Edited ]

I upgraded the hdd in my L355d s7901 for more space & it was working in dos while using acronis easy migrate. but when started, the fn f9 doesn't work. the only function keys that work are to dim the screen. Its obviously not a hardware issue. the fn menu doesn't come up anymore either. it is still like i purchased it other than i added more memory & now, new hdd. it still has vista home premium