Rsutherl

Wireless mouse stopped working with Satellite Laptop

I have a Toshiba Laptop: Satellite L305-S5944 with Vista.

The wireless mouse (Dynex brand) I have been using for over a year has stopped working and I get an error message "USB Device Not Recognized". 

I have three USB ports and they all give the same response. I have confirmed that the mouse does work on another computer. 

I have already tried uninstalling the USB Drivers and changing their power management strategy.

I have uploaded the latest Vista software uploads and have tried another mouse with no luck.

The USB ports do work, because I have tried other devices which still function, just not the mouse. 

Any suggestions on what to try next?

Thank you,

Roy

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Wireless mouse stopped working with Satellite Laptop

[ Edited ]

Satellite L305-S5944

Which model, Roy? (DX-WLMSE for instance.) I want to look it up.

Also, open Device Manager (devmgmt.msc) and expand Network adapters. Besides the Atheros, what wireless do you see there?

-Jerry
Rsutherl

Jerry,

The mouse number is DX-PWLMSE. 

Under Network Adapters, besides Atheros, there is  "Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller".

Let me know if you require any additional information and thanks for your help. 

Thanks, 

Roy

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Sorry, I can't tell from here what the trouble is. The driver is apparently native to Windows Vista.

Fiddle around with the USB Receiver and look for any changes in Device Manager (devmgmt.msc). Any yellow question marks?

I have confirmed that the mouse does work on another computer.

You might learn something by investigating Device Manager in that computer when the mouse is working.

Does it show up under Network adapters, for instance? If not, where?

-Jerry
Rsutherl

Jerry,

I have the mouse working again. Went online and tried several out suggestions. None worked. Can accross one suggestion to do a hard reboot. This included unplugging all devices and the power. Then removing the battery and pressing on the start button for approx. 15 seconds. Reinstall the battery then plugged the mouse back into the USB Port. New drivers were automatically loaded and now everything works. 

Looking at the device manager I now have both the Touch Pad and a HID-compliant mouse shown as available. Under the USB controllers, the "Realtek USB 2.0 Card Reader" is now present where is was not before. I am assuming I had lost the reader and thefore lost the mouse access. Not sure why other devices worked. 

Thanks for your help,

Roy

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

This included unplugging all devices and the power. Then removing the battery and pressing on the start button for approx. 15 seconds. Reinstall the battery then plugged the mouse back into the USB Port. New drivers were automatically loaded and now everything works.

Good for you, Roy!

Still curious. Does that wireless dongle show up under Network devices in Device Manager?

-Jerry