rone314

Windows 8 touchpad issues

I upgraded from old L45-S7423 laptop from Windows XP to Windows 8 Pro recently via CD/DVD. A couple of days later, the touchpad stopped working. A USB mouse works just fine. The touchpad issue might be related to a Windows update that occurred about the same time. The laptop has been running Windows XP for several years with issues other than slow boot and shutdown. Of course, I know very little about Windows 8. Any ideas on how to proceed. Thanks!
Super Advisor
cbwilsha

Re: Windows 8 touchpad issues

As you will see HERE, your machine is not supported by Toshiba for Windows 8 so you're very lucky it's working as well as it is. There are no Windows 8 drivers for your machine.

That said, I would do a System Restore back to just before that update you mentioned but NOT before you upgraded to Windows 8. If that does the trick, obviously do not let Windows install that update again.

If that doesn't cure the problem, try a System Reset.  Turn off computer. Remove all attachments and battery. Press and hold the Power button for 15 seconds.  Attach Power and insert battery.  Start computer and tap F2 at the Toshiba splash screen to get in BIOS.  Press F9 to setup system defaults. Answer Yes. Press F10 to Save Configuration Changes and Exit.  Answer Yes to complete the process.  The computer will restart.

C.B.

C.B.

Toshiba Sat. L675D-S7016 Win 8 PRO 64 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L775D-S7132 Win 7 PRO SP3 64 Bit which also has Virtual Machine with Win XP SP3---Toshiba Sat. L305-S5921 Win Vista SP2 32 Bit
rone314

Interesting... I saw a product support message filtered for the L45-S7423 that was titled "Windows 8 - Windows Automatic Updates" and thought that meant that the upgrade of my laptop to Windows 8 was supported. Alas, I guess not. :smileysad: I'll try the reset procedure that you listed and see if that works. As for rolling back to a previous version, I am not sure that makes sense if a future update might break the touchpad or something else. So, now I have to investigate if Windows 7 will run on this laptop and/or see so how well Linux runs. Thanks for your reply.
Super Advisor
cbwilsha

[ Edited ]

They apparently added that Windows Update message to all Model files even though there are many models that don't support Windows  8.  I had noticed that earlier myself. Believe me, Toshiba has done some more strange and confusing things than that!  I haven't checked but I'm sure Windows 7 will run on that machine and be fully supported. Just checked.  See HERE and click on Support Bulletins for directions on going Windows 7.

C.B.

C.B.

Toshiba Sat. L675D-S7016 Win 8 PRO 64 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L775D-S7132 Win 7 PRO SP3 64 Bit which also has Virtual Machine with Win XP SP3---Toshiba Sat. L305-S5921 Win Vista SP2 32 Bit