Regular Contributor
ruffian

Re: U305 Cursor/Touchpad Not Working

Okay, I'll do this today and let you know. Thank you.

Regular Contributor
ruffian

I downloaded, saved and installed the first two you provided. Each failed once before I finally completed the process. Now I have tried the Realtek driver 3 times unsuccessfully. It starts the set up process but the failure message comes up when the configuration window of the setup status is open. Should I try something else with this or move to the final driver? I have had problems in the past with this driver and reinstalled it from the disk a few times, though not recently.

Super Advisor
miker643

[ Edited ]

....Now I have tried the Realtek driver 3 times unsuccessfully. It starts the set up process but the failure message comes up when the configuration window of the setup status is open. ....

Doesn't tell us anything. What is the exact failure message? Do not paraphrase, spelling and syntax are important.

Mike

Regular Contributor
ruffian

I'm trying it now for the 4th time and getting a different error message than I've sen before. The WinZip Self-extractor window is open and the installation was progressing. Then a new Found New Hardware window opened with options to:

Located and install driver software (recommended)

Ask me again later

Don't show this message again

(Note that when I restarted the laptop, the red X was over my sound icon, something which happens occasionally on this computer and is usually corrected by rebooting, though sometimes several attempts are needed.)

Then I got a new WinZip Self-extractor window opening with this message: 

Error 5 running command c:\temp.realtek\setup.exe.

I clicked Okay and both WinZip windows disappeared.

Then I restarted and the X over the sound icon was gone, so I began the installation again. I clicked to run the file, clicked Unzip and then OK after the 64 file(s) unzipped window opened. The InstallShield Wizard starts, I click Next and the Setup Status window opens with the configuring new software text. This looks to be progressing until almost completed and the this window opens:

Realtek High Definition Audio Driver - InstallShield Wizard

(X in circle) Install Realtek HD Audio Driver Failure !!

That is it exactly. I click OK and everything closes out. This is what happened in the first three attempts and is as far as I have gotten.

Super Advisor
miker643

[ Edited ]

Given all the problems you have experienced installing a few drivers, your intermittent sound card problems prior to this, and the touchpad problem you originally posted about, I would say your system is fairly messed up.

Again, I would strongly recommend that is is time to do a Toshiba Recovery to return your unit to its factory default settings. First back up all your data, user files, music, pictures, favorites, etc. Then run the Toshiba Recovery utility from the recovery partition on your HDD to return your unit to its factory default out-of-the-box settings.

I am concerned that you wrote:

I do have the recovery disk but have resisted that since it will wipe out everything I have. 
I think there should be more than 1 Toshiba Recovery disk, which would reinstall Vista, drivers, Toshiba utilities, etc. This is NOT a Windows Vista recovery disk that you can make by clicking 'Start - All Programs, PC Help and Tools and Recovery disc creation. If you do not have the Toshiba Recovery disks, you can still order them, using the link I posted earlier.

When the recovery utility is setting up Windows, at some point it will ask you if you want to run Windows Update automatically, say 'No I will decide later'. After Windows is setup, click on 'Start - All Programs - Windows Update', then on the menu at left click on 'Change settings', under 'Important updates' click on the drop down menu at right and select 'Never check for updates (not recommended)' and click OK. Then always manually check for updates, never let Windows Update change any of your hardware drivers.

Good luck.

Mike

Regular Contributor
ruffian

Thanks. I do have two disks. I appreciate your time and help. 

Super Advisor
miker643

You're very welcome. Please let us know how the recovery works out, and if it seems to resolve your various problems.

Mike

Regular Contributor
ruffian

Well good news and bad news. The recovery worked fine and solved my problems with the touchpad and audio. However, when I went to reinstall my Office software, I discovered that my CD/DVD is not working now. I looked in the device manager and saw an error icon by this:

HL-DT-St DVDRAM GSA-U10 N ATA Device

When I click on that I get "cannnot load driver. May be corrupted or missing...."

I'm not sure what to do now. Suggestions?

Super Advisor
miker643

[ Edited ]

Try this Microsoft 'Fix-it' repair and see if it helps. Just click on the 'Run now' button in this article.

Your CD or DVD drive can't read or write media

Please let us know if it works. Good luck.

Mike

Regular Contributor
ruffian

Yes, that worked. I'm a little puzzled because at the very end I received a message stating that the CD/DVD Drive is not detected with a Not Fixed icon. There was also a Not Working Properly message by the device. I didn't think it would work, but I inserted two Office disks and installed all programs from those, so it seems everything is okay. Thank you for the link.

kenalfred

RE:  Matsu**bleep**a DVD/CD drive not working:  The download file at Toshiba support labeled "DVD_RAM" is NOT the device driver, but rather, ARCSOFT software suite (photo s/w).  Had to repair by editing the Registry entry for the device (Windows device manager reported error code 19 - incorrect registry entries for device); i.e., device registry entry had an upper filter set for the drive - deleted the upper filter value using regedit.  Works fine!!

IbrahimQad

my laptop version Satelite U400 - PSU440E

the operating systems was in Win Vista Home pre., i get new license windows 7 Enterprise and upgrade my operating system, after that, my CD can'nt read and write 

i trying use Microsoft Fix tools, but the issue still there, i trying to reach Driver update i didnte find, please help me

TreBurton83

thank u info and down load was very helpful=)

faridshah57

my cd room is missing i cannot instal new window

skrigdon

Please help me if you can - I am experiencing same problem you described with DVD/CD drive.  Device Manager shows "Code 19".  I am going in circles trying to get to "regedit" - can't find it.  I'm out of warranty, very frustrated, and close to hauling laptop to shop and paying for fix.  Please help if you can.

johnnyjo53

The Microsoft Fix it does not work for me, it simply says that the cd is in an unrecognizable format.  I have tried multiple cds, many of which used to work on this laptop before.  Is there any way to fix it?

crazy-indian

dvd driver shows error 32 but the driver just has error and will not work. harold

thierry

Hello,

I try to read a dvd (stargate pack 10 seasons) with vlc or toshiba player. The dvd turning but the film does not start. The dvd protection may block the process. Is there any update I could perform to read dvd onto my laptop?

best regards,

Thierry Calvet

denlaroc

Thankyou so much you fixed my problem!!! I am so thankful for people like you that are so helpful!!!!

as09192001

Re: CD/DVD not working

My cd/dvd will not play my software cd that I need in order to use my embroidery software.  I have tried playing a movie but nothing happens. 

Before, I could hear when the cd player would load my software - I don't hear anything now and no green light on cd player comes on.  

I have tried checking all sorts of things - it says the cd working properly but I am about to pull out my hair.

Can anyone help me?