Regular Contributor
ruffian
Accepted Solution

U305 Cursor/Touchpad Not Working

When I power up my U305, I am able to move the cursor around but it does not function when I try to click on something or input text into fields. When I try to click on the desktop, a larger "box" appears but nothing is functional when I click it. I did hook up an external mouse and that works fine. Can someone offer a suggestion to get the cursor/touchpad working again?

Super Advisor
miker643

Re: U305 Cursor/Touchpad Not Working

We need your full model number, like Satellite U305-S2804, and your model's Part Number, like PSU30U-07M012. This infor can be found on the Toshiba label on the bottom of your laptop. In addition, we need to know what operating system version you're running, like Windows Vista 32bit.

Mike

Regular Contributor
ruffian

Thanks for responding. The model number is U305-S5077 and the part number is PSU34U-00L003. The operating system is Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit. Please advise if more info will help. Thank you.

Super Advisor
miker643

Satellite U305-S5077

The simpliest thing to try first is to to just reload your touchpad driver. Download this file to your desktop and double click to install it.

Synaptics TouchPad Driver for Windows Vista

As well, take a look at this article. While it is an unrelated problem, it will show you how to get to controls to fine tune the operation of your touchpad.

Mouse pointer jumps around as you type

Please let us know what happens. Good luck.

Mike

Regular Contributor
ruffian

I downloaded from your link and it is now working somewhat but not properly. When I start up the computer and first try to move the cursor, a transparent box still forms on the desktop. That disappears when I right click, but I never had this before the problem started. I can now click on icons, open programs and type in fields, but it is very, very slow to respond, taking several minutes to open Explorer, for example, and then more time to type into the browser or click on a favorite or anything else. So I guess I have kind of limited usage now, which is an improvement but not really workable. The external mouse still works fine, but I don't won't to have to use that. Any other suggestions? Thank you for the assistance!

Super Advisor
miker643

Have you recently done some Windows Updates, installed a wireless mouse driver, or added any other new software to your system, some change to your system just before you developed this problem?

Mike

Regular Contributor
ruffian

I downloaded your link and the situation has improved somewhat. When I start up the computer and first mover the cursor on the desktop, I still get a transparent box opening. Now when I right click, that goes away, but I never experienced this before the problems began. I can now click on icons, open programs and type in fields, but the response time for all of these is very, very slow. It is taking minutes to open Explorer, for example, and then more time to type in a simple URL into the browser. So I guess I have limited usuage at this point. It is an  improvement but still not really usable. The external mouse still works fine. Any other suggestions? Thanks so much for your assistance!

Super Advisor
miker643

miker643 wrote:

Have you recently done some Windows Updates, installed a wireless mouse driver, or added any other new software to your system, some change to your system just before you developed this problem?

Mike

Regular Contributor
ruffian

No, no changes at all. This is actually a back up laptop that I use for limited purposes. I haven't made any changes to it in quite some time. I believe I did try a system restore when the problem first started, but I can't recall for sure.

Super Advisor
miker643

If you have a restore point just prior to when you developed the problem, you could try restoring the system to that point to see if this helps.

What is System Restore?

Otherwise, your unit would appear to be on the cusp of when Toshiba started to build in recovery partitions to their systems, as I can find no mention of it in your user guide. If you have the original recovery disks, you could backup everything on your computer first, and then run the recovery disks to return it to it's factory default out-of-the-box state, to see if this resolves the problem, which I think is likely.

If you do not have your recovery disks, you can order them.

Ordering Recovery Media

Good luck.

Mike

Regular Contributor
ruffian

I do have the recovery disk but have resisted that since it will wipe out everything I have. Is there any way to do a partial recovery that addresses this problem but doesn't affect everything? Thank you.

Super Advisor
miker643

Satellite U305-S5077 Downloads

The order of the installation of 1st the drivers and then the utilities is critical for success:

1st Drivers:

1) Chipset related

2) Display

3) Sound

4) all other hardware drivers

2nd Toshiba utilities:

1) Toshiba Value Added Package (TVAP)

2) Flash Card Utility (sometimes included in the TVAP)

3) then all other Toshiba utilities

Good luck.

Mike

Regular Contributor
ruffian

Okay, is it correct that the installation order you list will wipe out everything and return the computer to its orginal state?

Super Advisor
miker643

NO, it will NOT wipe any of your data out. It will NOT return the computer to its original state. It will only reload, 1st all the hardware drivers and hardware utilties, and then the Toshiba utilities. It will not touch any of your other programs or data. But, you will have to download and install each file in turn, and reboot as requested.

Mike

Regular Contributor
ruffian

Okay, that's great. So I should use the link you provided rather than my recovery disk?

Regular Contributor
ruffian

I see everything you listed on the link except the Chipset related drivers. Which are those?

Super Advisor
miker643

For whatever reason, in their infinite wisdom, Toshiba saw fit NOT to supply seperate Vista drivers for the Mobile Intel 943GML Express Chipset. I have seen this on other systems I have tried to help people with. They have only supplied seperate Windows 7 chipset drivers.

In your case, I believe the chipset drivers are actually included in the Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950 display driver package. The GM in GML, stands for Graphics Media. So, just install the display driver first.

Mike

Regular Contributor
ruffian

Okay, thank you. I'll try that.

Regular Contributor
ruffian

I'm sorry. I'm still confused. When I click the link you gave me, I go use the drop down menus and go to Windows Vista and drivers. I don't see anything indicating GM, GML or Graphics Media. Am I doing something wrong? I have the recovery disk. Should I try doing the individual drivers and utilities you listed from that?

Super Advisor
miker643

[ Edited ]

Satellite U305-S5077 Specifications

Download these files to your desktop and double click on them to install in this order:

ACPI Flash BIOS version 3.30 for Satellite U305

How to update the BIOS on Toshiba notebooks

Intel Display Driver for Windows Vista

Realtek Audio Driver for Windows Vista

Synaptics TouchPad Driver for Windows Vista

If this doesn't resolve your problem, you really only have the full recovery to the factory default out-of-the-box state left as an option.

Please let us know what happens. Good luck.

Mike