Neurax

Trackpad Stops working after login

Hello there, 

I've found that my Toshiba Satellite's trackpad stops moving after logging in. I originally thought that it may be a hardware problem, as a connected external mouse worked fine, but since the mouse would work on the login screen and then fail after logging in made me start to think that it's a a driver problem or a problem with a stopping service.

This problem seemed to have come after a windows update on windows 8. I've yet to try a reformat, holding that to last resort. Are there services I could check or drivers I could update? If it is still problematic after reinstalling windows 8, is it definitely a hardware problem?

Any help would be appreciated,

Neurax

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Trackpad Stops working after login

This problem seemed to have come after a windows update on windows 8.

Try first a System Restore to before the trouble arose. This will not affect any data and only installations that you have made since the restore point was created.

Settings > Power > Shift + Restart > Troubleshoot > Advanced options > System Restore

Always tell us which computer you have. See the label on the bottom.

-Jerry
whatthehail

[ Edited ]

I had the same problem on a Satellite S855-S5391, which is now resolved.  It seems to have been due to the F5 key being toggled and that the toggle state amazingly survives reboots.  I was thinking that the problem's occurring immediately after installation of a Windows update must have been a coincidence, but I see that others have experienced it, too. I thought I might have hit the F5 key (without pressing FN) accidentally, and not being aware of having manually disabled the touchpad (indeed, I wasn't even aware the option existed), I was alarmed that the touchpad became disabled as soon as my profile was loaded post update.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Satellite S855-S5391

Maybe this one?

Satellite S855-S5381

It seems to have been due to the F5 key being toggled and that the toggle state amazingly survives reboots.

That's surprising. Thanks the report.

Can you reproduce it?

-Jerry
KevinCamp

My laptop is a Satellite L855D-S5114. As soon as I login to the lap top and move the trackpad it freezes. One of the icons on the desktop highlights and the trackpad just moves the highlight up and down that row of icons vertically. Pressing FN & F5 only turns off the highlighted icon. If I manage to open a window the cursor becomes trapped inside that window and I cannot move it from there. This laptop has not been updated as it is never used online so it is not a Windows Update issue. I desperately need to get to data and images on this laptop and I am simple unable to navigate past a single window even using the tab button or activating the numeric keypad as that does not function either.

ChelseaMarie17

Thank you so much for posting this!! I've been restarting my computer non stop and was about to take it into bestbuy this morning until I found this forum! Again thank you!👏🙌🙏
ChelseaMarie17