PhilDublin
Accepted Solution

Touchpad won't scroll anymore!

Hi,

I have a Toshiba Satellite L500-1XL running Windows 7.  The touchpad is described as Synaptics TouchPad V7.2 on PS/2 Port when I look in Mouse Properties.

Lately the scroll function won't work on the touchpad.  When I slide my finger along the scroll part of the pad I get the grey swirl icon, same as before, but no scrolling.  I can scroll with the arrow keys or by clicking on the slider to the right of the webpage, but not the usual way using the touchpad.

I've checked the settings in the Control Panel and scrolling seems to be activated.  I have tried to update the driver, but aparently it's up to date already.

Has anyone else had the same trouble?  Does anyone have any suggestions for getting the scroll function back?

Many thanks,

Phil

Peter

Re: Touchpad won't scroll anymore!

This site is officially only for US models. You might have more luck on the site for Toshiba Europe.

Let's make sure scrolling is activated. Launch the Mouse settings from the "Control Panel." In the "Advanced" tab, click "Advanced feature settings..." and select the "Touch Pad" tab. Under "Touch pad settings," make sure "Use Scroll function" is checked. 

Also, even though your drivers are up to date, it's still often helpful to reinstall them. Try it anyways.

- Peter
PhilDublin

Thanks Peter,

I found this forum when I Googled the problem I was having - I didn't realise it was region-specific.

Your advice was spot-on.  I had been afraid to uninstall the driver in case I was left with no pointer function at all (I was picturing my laptop as a car without a steering-wheel...).

I found an old USB mouse in a drawer and plugged that in as a back-up.  I downloaded the latest Synaptics touchpad driver software from the Toshiba website, then uninstalled the existing driver.  I was prompted to restart the laptop a few different times during the uninstall process and when going into the Control Panel to check whether it had worked, but strangely enough I never lost the basic pointer functions of the touchpad at any stage (guess the backup mouse wasn't necessary).

Once I unzipped and installed the downloaded Synaptics driver I had full point and scroll function once more.  Funnily-enough the grey swirl icon I used to get when scrolling is now a miniature scroll-bar icon.

Hope I've explained the steps clearly enough that anyone else with the same problem will be able to follow.

Thanks for your help,

Phil

Peter

Hi Phil,

While the site is region-specific, anyone's free to post here of course. We just might not have much information about that specific model.

I'm glad you got it working! Thanks for coming back to let the community know what fixed it. It's much appreciated!

- Peter